Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!

LPMM
243 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 30, 2012 16:50 |  #361

gakoenig wrote in post #15307167 (external link)
The major bullet point of it is that you should *not* use *any* gate clip on your camera. This problem isn't just with the one we designed and tooled; it effects every off-the-shelf gate clip we tested.

It is a rare failure.

I spoke to Op/Tech this week about their swivel hooks and they told me the same thing, that under certain conditions (rare but possible), the gate can open unexpectedly and release the camera.

Why not use some QR buckles instead, perhaps ones that could be compatible with these?

IMAGE: http://optechusa.com/skin/frontend/optechusa/default/images/Pilot/UniLoopConn.jpg

Cheers,
Laurent
POTN Feedback thread FM Feedback page (external link) flickr Page (external link)
5D MK III | SL1 | 300mm ƒ2.8L IS | 70-200mm ƒ2.8L IS II | 24-70mm ƒ2.8L | 2x III Extender | 18-135mm STM

sponsored links
lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 30, 2012 16:52 |  #362

MDJAK wrote in post #15309745 (external link)
Gee, thanks. I went to that website and just ordered one of those gate hooks. No idea what I'll do with it, but damn it looks so cool.

What size did you order?

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,304 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 30, 2012 17:28 |  #363

What about the QD's from the Luma Loop? I thought those looked pretty slick.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,718 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 30, 2012 18:36 |  #364

lehmanncpa wrote in post #15309810 (external link)
What size did you order?

The biggest one of course. Came out to $48.50

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 30, 2012 19:22 |  #365

MDJAK wrote in post #15310157 (external link)
The biggest one of course. Came out to $48.50

That thing holds 1400 pounds of weight! Why did you just get one?

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 30, 2012 19:39 |  #366

To answer two questions at once:

Why not use some QR buckles instead, perhaps ones that could be compatible with these?

And:

What about the QD's from the Luma Loop? I thought those looked pretty slick.

Our previous Loop Mk I and Mk II were both single point slings, so only one attachment point was required. At the heart of the Cinch's function is the fact that it is a two point strap. We found one dangling bit hanging off the camera an acceptable tradeoff for the Loops, but two dangly bits gets super annoying very quickly.

So our goal with the Cinch QD solution is to create something that requires minimal junk hanging off of the camera, and the parts that *do* connect to the camera need to be as minimalist as possible.

This drew us to gate hooks, carabiners and the Le Hook - we have a custom designed triangular split key (like a better version of what Nikon uses) that can go on lugs and Canon brackets. The gate hook just clips right into it. On the tripod, we have an injection molded carbon fiber ARCA plate with an integrated membrane connector, providing a flexible D-ring to one side (hey; if we are gonna put something on the bottom of your camera, why not add some value and build in a small ARCA dovetail?).

Turns out, the connection infrastructure was far more difficult to design than the gate hook (finding someone to make a crazy triangular split key was a massive challenge, as was someone who had the skill to make the injection molded carbon plate). Now that we have those parts complete, circling back to the actual connector component is not such a huge challenge.

Market research question: What do people think about screw lock quick links?

They aren't super sophisticated, but we find the absolute reliability of those components to be a very compelling featue.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,322 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 30, 2012 19:58 |  #367

I was about to suggest that, Greg.... when you say screw lock, are you thinking of something like the lockable carabiners, such as the one below? It should solve the problem of inadvertently coming loose, I would think.

IMAGE: http://greatoutdoorprovision.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/carabiner.png
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 30, 2012 20:09 |  #368

I was about to suggest that, Greg.... when you say screw lock, are you thinking of something like the lockable carabiners, such as the one below? It should solve the problem of inadvertently coming loose, I would think.

Yup, that is exactly what we are thinking.

Normally, we would endeavor to make our own, but we are also thinking we've made people wait long enough. We also have all the rest of the infrastructure ready to go...

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,322 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 30, 2012 20:12 |  #369

Sounds like a simple and foolproof solution, although I suspect you would want to get one that is aesthetically pleasing. Can't have a work of art like the Cinch be coupled with something from the hardware aisle at Ace Hardware.. :D

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,304 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 30, 2012 20:12 |  #370

LPMM wrote in post #15309800 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

I use these with my OpTech strap. They work well. I've even considered hacking the soft part off one side and treading a Cinch strap through it. My only concern was the possibility that the strap being so much narrower than the buckle might cause a problem with it sliding around and twisting.

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 30, 2012 20:17 |  #371

gakoenig wrote in post #15310454 (external link)
Yup, that is exactly what we are thinking.

Normally, we would endeavor to make our own, but we are also thinking we've made people wait long enough. We also have all the rest of the infrastructure ready to go...

Does someone make carbon fiber carabiners with a screw clasp? I haven't seen them anywhere. If you really want to come out with your QR product before Xmas, maybe you can plasti-coat the metal ones in black/charcoal so they don't scuff up our beautiful camera bodies and they would match all your other carbon fiber stuff.

Any spy pics of the Arca plate, triangle split key and any other nice things we should expect? :cool:

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 30, 2012 20:24 |  #372

Does someone make carbon fiber carabiners with a screw clasp? I haven't seen them anywhere. If you really want to come out with your QR product before Xmas, maybe you can plasti-coat the metal ones in black/charcoal so they don't scuff up our beautiful camera bodies and they would match all your other carbon fiber stuff.

I think Black Diamond made CF carabiners, but they were horrendously expensive and sized for actual mountain climbing.

We are testing a few versions. The current winner is a 316 stainless steel guy with a screw gate. Bit tight opening, but seriously secure and small. It is a nicely made part that is well machined and tumbled. It is a touch more industrial than we would like, but I can absolutely guarantee that it will never ever fail... Having seen enough "My X Strap Failed" posts on here, that is something we like to avoid at all costs.

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 30, 2012 20:37 |  #373

The biggest concern for me aside from the QR not breaking is will the QR scratch my camera when I'm carrying it. I certainly appreciate all the testing you guys have done. It's good to know you won't put something out unless it 100% works.

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

LPMM
243 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 30, 2012 20:37 |  #374

gakoenig wrote in post #15310356 (external link)
So our goal with the Cinch QD solution is to create something that requires minimal junk hanging off of the camera, and the parts that *do* connect to the camera need to be as minimalist as possible.

I admire the fact that you are trying to design your own QD and be unique, but to me it would be a lot more valuable if it were interchangeable so that I could clip a strap off and put another depending on which I want to use, or move it from the body to the lens.

mike_d wrote in post #15310468 (external link)
I use these with my OpTech strap. They work well. I've even considered hacking the soft part off one side and treading a Cinch strap through it. My only concern was the possibility that the strap being so much narrower than the buckle might cause a problem with it sliding around and twisting.

Yes, I am tempted to buy a Cinch and to modify it where I drew the circles by sewing a small piece of 3/4" webbing with an Op/Tech clip. If it were cheaper, I would try it in a heartbeat for my 300 f2.8

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Cheers,
Laurent
POTN Feedback thread FM Feedback page (external link) flickr Page (external link)
5D MK III | SL1 | 300mm ƒ2.8L IS | 70-200mm ƒ2.8L IS II | 24-70mm ƒ2.8L | 2x III Extender | 18-135mm STM

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 30, 2012 20:48 |  #375

Yes, I am tempted to buy a Cinch and to modify it where I drew the circles by sewing a small piece of 3/4" webbing with an Op/Tech clip. If it were cheaper, I would try it in a heartbeat for my 300 f2.8

When the MkII Cinch comes out in a few days, one of the little tweaks is modular hardware. You'll be able to remove the front and rear webbing easily. We're doing this for size changes and to make the system future-proof. Currently, only the rear webbing is removable (though we've never told anyone about it). You can also re-use the Cinch hardware and cook up whatever crazy ideas you want.

sponsored links

269,752 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.