Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 08, 2013 22:01 |  #841

v35skyline wrote in post #15805978 (external link)
You're pretty active in general, averaging over 18 posts/day lol.

He means lately--there was a time when I was going at a 40-50 ppd clip :p

My Gearlist

sponsored links
DTBaan
"male gigolo"
14,032 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 08, 2013 22:02 |  #842

MOkoFOko wrote in post #15805967 (external link)
Nothing will match the original paint, but I've found that the black enamel hobby paint pens will roughly reproduce the look--once it's fairly dry (2-5 minutes), just rub the enamel in a bit for it to lose its shine--almost a perfect match, and will last about as long.

I check here regularly once every day or two, but the pre-order news is pretty big news indeed. Lots of other posting draws me in too.

psshh. and I thought it was because of me that you were attracted to. liar! guys are jerks! hrrmph~

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
14,032 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 08, 2013 22:03 |  #843

v35skyline wrote in post #15805978 (external link)
You're pretty active in general, averaging over 18 posts/day lol.

MOkoFOko wrote in post #15805985 (external link)
He means lately--there was a time when I was going at a 40-50 ppd clip :p

yeah that. if I didn't know him well enough, I wouldn't have said such a thing towards him lol

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 08, 2013 22:04 |  #844

v35skyline wrote in post #15805971 (external link)
It's not that I mind attaching both ends of the strap on the bottom, but I prefer to keep using my RRS L-plate.

I like the general concept of the L-plates, but those things are just so darn unwieldy. Really adds to the bulk--feels even more prominent on the pro-bodies.

My Gearlist

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 08, 2013 22:06 |  #845

It's not that I mind attaching both ends of the strap on the bottom, but I prefer to keep using my RRS L-plate.

Remember how I said what we have now is a system, and what we are introducing today is the baseline? And that the system is modular, and configurable, and frees us up to make some really wickedly cool stuff?

This is day 1 of something that we think is really remarkable. The Cinch 2, as it stands, is a nice improvement over Cinch 1 in a lot of ways (better stitching thanks to a new Juki pattern tacker, narrower webbing, more grippy, less weight, better slide action, way less expensive, ships much faster and comes with basically a free Arca plate). This baseline gives us a nice price point for folks to get into the Cinch with and stabilize sales.

With that baseline and with that system established, we can no go hog wild with materials and technologies that would have been far too specialized. Like something really neat for people who have L Brackets and will never give up their custom fitted RRS plates... Something that will make the pull tab look like a novelty.

And that is all I am going to say about it.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 08, 2013 22:09 |  #846

DTBaan wrote in post #15805992 (external link)
psshh. and I thought it was because of me that you were attracted to. liar! guys are jerks! hrrmph~

I am attracted to material possessions :lol: And getting in on good deals, which leads to the ownership of more possessions :lol:

There is no denying it, the Cinch2 is a steal at this pricing, assuming you don't need the quicklinks. They look pretty high in quality though, so I got them anyhow.

My Gearlist

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 08, 2013 22:10 |  #847

gakoenig wrote in post #15806012 (external link)
Remember how I said what we have now is a system, and what we are introducing today is the baseline? And that the system is modular, and configurable, and frees us up to make some really wickedly cool stuff?

This is day 1 of something that we think is really remarkable. The Cinch 2, as it stands, is a nice improvement over Cinch 1 in a lot of ways (better stitching thanks to a new Juki pattern tacker, narrower webbing, more grippy, less weight, better slide action, way less expensive, ships much faster and comes with basically a free Arca plate). This baseline gives us a nice price point for folks to get into the Cinch with and stabilize sales.

With that baseline and with that system established, we can no go hog wild with materials and technologies that would have been far too specialized. Like something really neat for people who have L Brackets and will never give up their custom fitted RRS plates... Something that will make the pull tab look like a novelty.

I uh... hope you guys started filing for patents :cool:

My Gearlist

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 08, 2013 22:28 |  #848

Like something really neat for people who have L Brackets and will never give up their custom fitted RRS plates... Something that will make the pull tab look like a novelty.

You have my attention... :)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,322 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 08, 2013 22:30 |  #849

gakoenig wrote in post #15805955 (external link)
I have to say though, once you guys try putting both mounts on the bottom of the camera, you'll be sold... There is a reason we spent enough money on a nice used BMW 5 series to make the Arca plate...

Greg, with Cinch 1, you attached 1 end to the lug on the left side of the camera and the other end to the bottom, right? So, with Cinch 2, you are recommending attaching both ends to the bottom? Does that fundamentally change the way the camera sits against your body?

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 08, 2013 22:37 |  #850

Scrumhalf wrote in post #15806132 (external link)
Greg, with Cinch 1, you attached 1 end to the lug on the left side of the camera and the other end to the bottom, right? So, with Cinch 2, you are recommending attaching both ends to the bottom? Does that fundamentally change the way the camera sits against your body?

You're thinking of the pro bodies--those have the loop connectors built into the bottom--the consumer/enthusiast class bodies lack that.

My Gearlist

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,987 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 08, 2013 22:38 |  #851

tried to purchase but the site is experiencing issues.
too many of you guys buying!

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

k1msta
426 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 08, 2013 23:05 |  #852

idk why... cinch 1 looks nicer with the tab.. hmm what to do, what to do.

5D ìì • M • 22 • 24L ìì • 50L • 85L ìì • 24-70L ìì • 70-200L ìì • 580ex ìì
Flickr (external link) ++GEARS / FEEDBACK
++

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 08, 2013 23:05 |  #853

The Arca plate is a significant improvement with either both points mounted to the bottom OR with one point on the body and one point on the left hand side of the Arca plate.

The Arca plate came about because we found, and users reported, running the Membrane Connector with their plates was a bit more comfortable than running the PodMount. We discovered the reason why was because offsetting the bottom mount just a little bit split that 90 degree triangle formed between the top left bracket, the tripod socket and the bottom corner/heel of the camera. As we experimented more, we found that splitting that triangle was good, mounting both points to the bottom was even better.

The trouble is that we couldn't machine a plate and include it with every Cinch. If you wanna know why metal bits are going optional, the reason is because our machining costs have gone up 20-30%. The Cinch launched while most of the CNC machine shop industry was hurting for work, and we got a smoking deal on our parts. Now, we are competing against huge margin aircraft and medical parts for production time, and our production partner (being a business) needed to raise their prices accordingly.

We already have folks who were pushing back at a $70 price point, and our margins are *way* thinner than any competitor you can name. We thought the business would be untenable if our primary product became $80. Machining our own plate for the bottom of the camera would easily push that price to $90. This is when we started to look into injection molding and found our supplier who was working with a (and I use this word in all earnestness) revolutionary material and tooling techniques.

As to why it is an Arca plate; we figured if we are going to ask you to stick a dingus on the bottom of your camera, why not add value? The cost difference between making some blocky thing with two strap mounts on either side and shaping that part into a functional Arca plate is precisely zero.

So the long and short of it is, the Arca plate's dual offset mounts make the system better - either with the Top Left Bracket/Plate Left Bracket configuration or Left/Right Plate configuration. So much better, in fact, that we basically changed the entire product and production methods to make that enhancement at a reasonable cost.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 08, 2013 23:13 |  #854

I feel like I need to wait for this. I love my Cinch, but I also love my L bracket. I had planned on ordering the links, but now I'm thinking I should wait and see what is to come since I've gotten used to storing the camera in the bag with the strap attached.

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 08, 2013 23:20 |  #855

gakoenig wrote in post #15806263 (external link)
The Arca plate is a significant improvement with either both points mounted to the bottom OR with one point on the body and one point on the left hand side of the Arca plate.

The Arca plate came about because we found, and users reported, running the Membrane Connector with their plates was a bit more comfortable than running the PodMount. We discovered the reason why was because offsetting the bottom mount just a little bit split that 90 degree triangle formed between the top left bracket, the tripod socket and the bottom corner/heel of the camera. As we experimented more, we found that splitting that triangle was good, mounting both points to the bottom was even better.

The trouble is that we couldn't machine a plate and include it with every Cinch. If you wanna know why metal bits are going optional, the reason is because our machining costs have gone up 20-30%. The Cinch launched while most of the CNC machine shop industry was hurting for work, and we got a smoking deal on our parts. Now, we are competing against huge margin aircraft and medical parts for production time, and our production partner (being a business) needed to raise their prices accordingly.

We already have folks who were pushing back at a $70 price point, and our margins are *way* thinner than any competitor you can name. We thought the business would be untenable if our primary product became $80. Machining our own plate for the bottom of the camera would easily push that price to $90. This is when we started to look into injection molding and found our supplier who was working with a (and I use this word in all earnestness) revolutionary material and tooling techniques.

As to why it is an Arca plate; we figured if we are going to ask you to stick a dingus on the bottom of your camera, why not add value? The cost difference between making some blocky thing with two strap mounts on either side and shaping that part into a functional Arca plate is precisely zero.

So the long and short of it is, the Arca plate's dual offset mounts make the system better - either with the Top Left Bracket/Plate Left Bracket configuration or Left/Right Plate configuration. So much better, in fact, that we basically changed the entire product and production methods to make that enhancement at a reasonable cost.

If nothing else, I would keep that plate on the bottom 100% of the time. All my cameras and tripod collars have them already. That was a good move. That means I can experiment with the cinch2, despite my undying love for the Loop v2.

My Gearlist

sponsored links

269,458 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.