Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!

match14
362 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 15, 2013 15:25 |  #1336

I see what your saying but isn't this what happened with black rapid and the Luma loop, BR got a patent and then everyone else had to stop making their version of the same product. Since luma were the first with the cinch it would be a shame if someone else came along and copied their idea then got a patent and then told luma to stop again?

I think this one is coping luma but just reversed the operation method i.e. Up to tighten instead of down, but the idea is the same.

David
500px (external link)
Gear

sponsored links
iazybandit
Goldmember
2,210 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 15, 2013 16:19 |  #1337

match14 wrote in post #16454427 (external link)
I see what your saying but isn't this what happened with black rapid and the Luma loop, BR got a patent and then everyone else had to stop making their version of the same product. Since luma were the first with the cinch it would be a shame if someone else came along and copied their idea then got a patent and then told luma to stop again?

I think this one is coping luma but just reversed the operation method i.e. Up to tighten instead of down, but the idea is the same.

BR vs Luma/Carry Speed was because it was a sling and attached to a single point. I don't know the exact detail of either lawsuit.

I don't think Luma has the cinch concept patented. Greg did say "they also ripped off our aluminum slider/pull tab from the Cinch Mk1" but nothing was done. Also, I'm still waiting for my Cinch but I don't see a pull tab.

Granted, the concept may resemble the Cinch mk1 but I don't think Luma would stoop to BR's level. I'm interested to hear what Greg or Team Luma has to say about the Air Strap.

Canon :: R6 | RP | 5D Mark IV
Glass :: RF 24-70L f/2.8 IS | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM | EF 16-35L f2.8 | EF 70-200 f2.8L III | EF 24-70L f2.8 II | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Custom SLR M-Plate Pro Arca Swiss Tripod Plate; BRNO dri+Cap Dehumidifier Body/Lens Cap | SpiderHolster w/Speedbelt, PakPod, Gorillapod Focus

i-G12
Wat?
2,150 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 15, 2013 16:42 |  #1338

Who cares? I love my Cinch. ;)

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 15, 2013 17:11 |  #1339

I like Custom SLR's stuff, but that M Plate pro is useless on any lens with a tripod ring.

My Cinch is great, kind of wish it had the adjustment tab on it like the older ones to be honest.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

i-G12
Wat?
2,150 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 15, 2013 17:46 |  #1340

gnome chompski wrote in post #16454712 (external link)
I like Custom SLR's stuff, but that M Plate pro is useless on any lens with a tripod ring.

My Cinch is great, kind of wish it had the adjustment tab on it like the older ones to be honest.

I bought the new one and have yet to use it. I'm sure its better but...

I love my old Cinch.

hienz
452 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 16, 2013 09:55 |  #1341

What's the width of the portion that sits on your shoulder? Is it easy enough to wrap it around your hand if you're not hanging it from your neck or shoulder?

stevenhien.com (external link)
5D2 | XT1

DaveKosiba
597 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 17, 2013 08:44 |  #1342

Hi Guys, I'm looking at ditching my BR RS-4 in favor of a Luma Labs Cinch, however I have a few questions about the new design:

1) I have a tripod but do not know if the plate that comes with the Cinch will work. The tripod is a Flashpoint F-1128 with a ball head that claims to be ARCA compatible.

2) I liked the look of the original Cinch 1 design with the machined metal parts and the pull tab. I would not necessarily miss the metal parts but the pull tab seemed to be one of the big selling features. I'm hesitant to order the new design now because of the changes.

3) The Luma Labs website seems to be lacking in product information, more pictures would be nice along with a video that shows how the new design works (if it's any different than the old design).

I may look around for someone selling a Cinch 1 as I'm just not sure the new version is much of an improvement. However, not having used either version, I would like to hear thoughts on which version you guys like better.

EOS 6D MkII, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 85 1.8, 70-200L f/4 IS, 16-35 f/4L IS, 430 EXII, Luma Cinch Strap

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 17, 2013 11:02 |  #1343

DaveKosiba wrote in post #16457958 (external link)
1) I have a tripod but do not know if the plate that comes with the Cinch will work. The tripod is a Flashpoint F-1128 with a ball head that claims to be ARCA compatible.

2) I liked the look of the original Cinch 1 design with the machined metal parts and the pull tab. I would not necessarily miss the metal parts but the pull tab seemed to be one of the big selling features. I'm hesitant to order the new design now because of the changes.

3) The Luma Labs website seems to be lacking in product information, more pictures would be nice along with a video that shows how the new design works (if it's any different than the old design).

I may look around for someone selling a Cinch 1 as I'm just not sure the new version is much of an improvement. However, not having used either version, I would like to hear thoughts on which version you guys like better.

If the tripod head is Arca Swiss type, then the Cinch plate will work.

Not sure if #2 is a question, but I think only you can answer it.

There are lots of photos in this thread and on other forums to give you a good idea as to how it works and looks.

I've had both and prefer v2. The adjustment tabs on v2 are on both the front and rear sections of the strap so it makes it easy to adjust when wearing jackets or heavy coats in cold weather. I don't miss the pull tab at all. The buckle is very easy to grab, even with gloves, and slides effortlessly. The fit and finish of both versions is outstanding.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,728 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 17, 2013 11:53 |  #1344

Agree with Alex. I don't have experience with v1 but the v2 is functionally fantastic.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

i-G12
Wat?
2,150 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 17, 2013 13:04 |  #1345

I gotta bust out my new Cinch and try it.

DaveKosiba
597 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 17, 2013 13:56 |  #1346

lehmanncpa wrote in post #16458273 (external link)
If the tripod head is Arca Swiss type, then the Cinch plate will work.

Not sure if #2 is a question, but I think only you can answer it.

There are lots of photos in this thread and on other forums to give you a good idea as to how it works and looks.

I've had both and prefer v2. The adjustment tabs on v2 are on both the front and rear sections of the strap so it makes it easy to adjust when wearing jackets or heavy coats in cold weather. I don't miss the pull tab at all. The buckle is very easy to grab, even with gloves, and slides effortlessly. The fit and finish of both versions is outstanding.

Thanks for your replies guys. I found a someone selling a almost new Cinch V1 for $50 (incl shipping, tripod pivot, and membrane connector) so I went ahead and bought it. I figure I could always add the tripod plate if I want.

Some of the reasons I think I will like the Cinch over my current BR RS-4 is the fact that you can easily snug up the strap and minimize the amount the camera swings while walking, the strap on the RS4 kept sliding fwd (just doesn't stay in place) hopefully the Cinch won't move around as much, and finally how you can just partially loosen the Cinch to help steady a shot.

I'll report back when I get mine.

EOS 6D MkII, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 85 1.8, 70-200L f/4 IS, 16-35 f/4L IS, 430 EXII, Luma Cinch Strap

DarthVader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 17, 2013 15:23 |  #1347

$50 for all of those...what a deal.

DaveKosiba wrote in post #16458649 (external link)
Thanks for your replies guys. I found a someone selling a almost new Cinch V1 for $50 (incl shipping, tripod pivot, and membrane connector) so I went ahead and bought it. I figure I could always add the tripod plate if I want.

Some of the reasons I think I will like the Cinch over my current BR RS-4 is the fact that you can easily snug up the strap and minimize the amount the camera swings while walking, the strap on the RS4 kept sliding fwd (just doesn't stay in place) hopefully the Cinch won't move around as much, and finally how you can just partially loosen the Cinch to help steady a shot.

I'll report back when I get mine.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 17, 2013 21:24 |  #1348

1KIND wrote in post #16453681 (external link)
Regardless of use, the concept of "cinch" is all going to be the same and I don't think its patented. So copying? I don't think it is. However, it seems for Luma, to lengthen the strap, you pull up towards your shoulders. To tighten, you pull down towards your hip. With Custom SLR's Air Strap, you pull down to your hips to lengthen and up to tighten. It's opposite.

Mounting connection looks to be different as well. CSLR seems to use the cow-hitch method where as Luma is using a buckle.

Obviously, the straps are different too. There are many things that are different so copying Luma's design, far from it. The only thing they have similar is the cinch concept, that it goes on a shoulder and attaches to a camera. I'd consider it copying if it looked exactly the same.

Really?! That's not copying? That sounds like the exact thing you do to copy a product and still get around patents. Does your opinion have anything to do with the fact that Custom SLR gives your free things?

1KIND wrote in post #16436522 (external link)
I still haven't reviewed a Luma yet.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,210 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 17, 2013 21:34 |  #1349

klr.b wrote in post #16459599 (external link)
Really?! That's not copying? That sounds like the exact thing you do to copy a product and still get around patents. Does your opinion have anything to do with the fact that Custom SLR gives your free things?

Again, the concept of cinching is not new. If it was copying, the buckle and everything else would be the same. There are some things that are different. For all we know, it can be an improvement. And do you know if luma has the cinch concept patented? If not, its fair game.

I'm all for competition and forcing others to be creative. I'm sure custom SLR has done their research to avoid any legal issues as they are a small company like luma.

My opinion is my opinion. Im not bias in my reviews. Blackrapid sent me stuff to review but i state i dont like what they did to luma and carry speed.

And fyi, I'm waiting for my cinch 2 to arrive.

Items I review is about me reviewing their product, telling people about the product and hopefully give manufacturers feedback. If the item is bad, I'll state it. If there's something I don't like, I'll state it.

Canon :: R6 | RP | 5D Mark IV
Glass :: RF 24-70L f/2.8 IS | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM | EF 16-35L f2.8 | EF 70-200 f2.8L III | EF 24-70L f2.8 II | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Custom SLR M-Plate Pro Arca Swiss Tripod Plate; BRNO dri+Cap Dehumidifier Body/Lens Cap | SpiderHolster w/Speedbelt, PakPod, Gorillapod Focus

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 19, 2013 13:12 |  #1350

klr.b wrote in post #16459599 (external link)

As the guy who designed the Cinch, I don't think the Air is a ripoff.

The idea for the Cinch came directly from my experience with military gear where sliding adjuster mechanisms are quite common (Blue Force Gear's Vickers sling, Kyle Lamb's VTAC, Magpul's MS series, etc). We simply adapted the concept to cameras. Even before us, a Japanese outfit had the Digital Ninja strap that sorta did the quick adjust deal, but was a very simple webbing sling without the comfort of a shoulder pad.

I bring a very strong set of opinions to camera strap design. I strive for minimalism (as much as possible while offering the features we see as critical), I despise excess strap hanging about and I have a massive aversion to leaving things stuck on your camera that aren't very unobtrusive (the membrane connector), add value on their own (our Arca plate) or can be very quickly removed (the New New Thing out in a couple of weeks).

To be honest, to some people, those opinions are at odds with what they want out of a camera strap and that is OK! This is a boutique, cottage industry with dozens of little guys like us making all kinds of permutations of strap. CSLR's Air is a different take on the quick adjust sling concept. So is the Joby Ultra. So is the Digital Ninja.

Also, we know the CSLR guys in passing and they are good folks who make quality products and execute them really well. The thing BR seems to not understand is that we aren't competition for one another; we all compete against the crappy, free strap that ships with your camera. I'm happy to see the Air come out; a rising tide raises all boats.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

sponsored links

288,115 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.