Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!

GeeMack
778 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 02, 2013 07:51 |  #1366

I have V2 and never owned V1 so I guess I don't know what I'm missing but I have no complaints with V2. It's very comfortable and functions perfectly. I am very pleased as this rig is a giant step ahead of the Optech rig I was using.

7D, 50 f1.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 2x TC III, 580EX II, 430EX, 568EX II, 622C
glmphotos.zenfolio.com (external link)

sponsored links
Down_Shift
Goldmember
1,315 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 02, 2013 09:28 |  #1367

1KIND wrote in post #16486137 (external link)
Saw the uni-loop but not sure about hanging the strap from a string. I'm sure its fine.

The other one from optech looks great but more for smaller and lighter cameras. Its intended for cameras with small strap loops.

I use these alot.

I hang my cameras off of it when it's attached to my backpack shoulder strap on hikes.

It's parachute cord, so it's built to last. I've had it hang a 1d body with the 24-70 brick. Works perfectly fine for the past 4 years.
Lately I've been hanging a long zoom lens on tripod collar to my camera belt.. via a black rapid adapter. Makes swapping very easy when I need to catch more distance.

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,602 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 02, 2013 10:37 |  #1368

Just a heads up anyone looking to get the V2, its $10 OFF today! ;)

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D III | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | 85L 1.4 IS | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 07, 2013 00:36 |  #1369

Just got my Luma v2 and I must thank Greg for the help. Love what I see so far.

1KIND wrote in post #16485756 (external link)
Got my Cinch 2 and will have a full review of it. Anyone thought of using op/techs reporter/backpack connectors as a quick disconnect?

http://optechusa.com …rs/reporter-backpack.html (external link)

As far as quick disconnect, I use this:

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2860/11247381313_f01c00e94f_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/cjcmarquez/11​247381313/  (external link)
Quick Release Strap (external link) by cjcmarquez (external link), on Flickr

Adapt Its (external link) placed into the normal strap holders and clips bought from Home Depot (rated to hold 30 or lbs).

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,468 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 07, 2013 00:41 |  #1370

I think Greg had a video demonstration earlier in this thread where he showed that the type of gate clip you show is highly unreliable and prone to failure. I wouldn't trust anything other than the kind of gate clip with threaded locking mechanism that Greg ships out with the Cinch.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 07, 2013 13:43 |  #1371

Couldn't seem to find that video in this thread: would be appreciated if it can be reposted or linked to.

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 07, 2013 14:45 |  #1372

CJCMarquez wrote in post #16509035 (external link)
Couldn't seem to find that video in this thread: would be appreciated if it can be reposted or linked to.

Wasn't in here - it was its own thread.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 07, 2013 15:14 |  #1373

Thank you!

Chad or CJ

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 07, 2013 15:22 |  #1374

Oh, the video that cost us $7000... =)

We had these neat gate clips designed. We had them tested in 3D printed materials. During that testing, we couldn't really wang on them, since 3D printed plastic is relatively delicate stuff, but we did all the strength testing in finite element analysis (those little guys do hold about 400lb; they are why we invented our Lumidium material). So we tested everything which way as much as we could, optimized the design and signed off on a mold...

Get the real-deal parts, all excited! Fit gates to them and start sewing them into straps. Boom. Instant failure.

Our gate's super swoopy surface geometry (geometry I was super proud of pulling off in SolidWorks), happened to exacerbate the problem shown in the video. Once we saw it, we went into "Oh, ****!" mode and started looking at other gate clips, and quickly realized they ALL had the same failure mode.

It was an expensive lesson, but one I would have rather learned the way we did than one we would have learned when someone called us up by dropping a Leica or something.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 07, 2013 15:31 |  #1375

Thanks Greg for the explanation. Off to test my gate hook.

The op tech adapt its seem to help not make this a problem.

Chad or CJ

DaveKosiba
597 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 07, 2013 19:50 |  #1376

That is the one thing I did like about the BR Strap, the gate hook had a screw barrel to lock the hook closed and make it very secure.

Greg, any chance you could add a locking feature to your (now retired) gate hook and have something that you can trust?

EOS 6D MkII, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 85 1.8, 70-200L f/4 IS, 16-35 f/4L IS, 430 EXII, Luma Cinch Strap

TejasPOWER
64 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 23, 2013 19:14 |  #1377

328iGuy wrote in post #16495200 (external link)
Just a heads up anyone looking to get the V2, its $10 OFF today! ;)

Dog nab it... :D
Already bought it for my brother....

Canon T3i | Luma CINCH | Motorsport fan -BMW, TOYOTA & MINI | BMWCCA (external link) | TTORA (external link)
Always looking to learn and to be better than before.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,136 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 07, 2014 09:15 |  #1378

Posted my review on the Cinch 2 - http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com …cinch-2-camera-strap.html (external link)

Definitely a comfy strap and blends in with my suit when I'm taking photographs at an event. It's light in weight and I have no issues placing this into my camera bag unlike some others because its too stiff or too bulky.

I also have pictures/review of the plate, podmount and membrane connector.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22mm
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 26, 2014 16:00 |  #1379

I FINALLY got a Cinch mk1 and I LOVE it! I've had the Cinch 2 since it was released. I pre-ordered it and was probably among the first to receive it. It's great and all...

But that pull tab and shiny metal on the Cinch mk1...yum!

I've still been meaning to order the shorter straps for my Cinch 2.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

i-G12
Wat?
1,902 posts
Gallery: 150 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 26, 2014 21:35 |  #1380

v35skyline wrote in post #16719926 (external link)
I FINALLY got a Cinch mk1 and I LOVE it! I've had the Cinch 2 since it was released. I pre-ordered it and was probably among the first to receive it. It's great and all...

But that pull tab and shiny metal on the Cinch mk1...yum!
IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

sponsored links

279,163 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.