Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 17 Aug 2012 (Friday) 20:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SX-1 shutting down with video due to heat???

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 17, 2012 20:31 |  #1

Hello,

My Canon SX-1 is shutting down after about 10-20 minutes with HD video and apparently due to internal heat build up? I could feel the side of the camera was getting warm and the batteries were quite hot when removed?

Is there an issue with using standard Duracell Alkaline "AA" as I've always used Eneloops but those are charging at the moment? This has never happened before.

Any insight would be appreciated.

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

sponsored links
imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 17, 2012 21:39 |  #2

were the batteries (duracells) dead? I think thats more likely than the camera overheating as alkalines drain fairly quickly in cameras. if the camera was overheating, especially the sensor, you will start getting noise, distortion and weird colors in your video.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 17, 2012 22:00 as a reply to  @ imjason's post |  #3

No, the batteries were all brand new and tested. I also tried the eneloops but again it just stops recording at various points. It doesn't actually shut down but instead stops recording...

I purchased a 32gb SDHC card (10) today and wanted to test it running for the listed 1.5 hrs. It first ran to 50 minutes before stopping, which is how long my 16gb card goes, also SDHC (10). I've never had an issue with it stopping unexpectedly.

I've tried different batteries (including with/without memory battery) and different SD cards. It just stops recording at some point and at different times, from 5 minutes up to 25 min +.

The eneloop batteries stay much cooler so it may not be a heat issue. The video runs perfectly until it just stops...

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 18, 2012 00:06 |  #4

check out page 25 of your manual.

the cap is at 4gb per video. so it doesnt matter what card size you use, the cap size is at 4gb per video. check your file sizes, see if they are 4gb. remember if youre not using HD, your file sizes are smaller thus you can record longer before hitting the cap.

for compatibility reasons, this is the limitation of the file system the camera uses.

Flickr (external link)

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 18, 2012 08:55 |  #5

imjason wrote in post #14873252 (external link)
check out page 25 of your manual.

the cap is at 4gb per video. so it doesnt matter what card size you use, the cap size is at 4gb per video. check your file sizes, see if they are 4gb. remember if youre not using HD, your file sizes are smaller thus you can record longer before hitting the cap.

for compatibility reasons, this is the limitation of the file system the camera uses.

Thanks imjason for the input but that's not the issue. As otherwise, it would stop recording at the same time each time. At the moment, it will record for varying amounts of time and then just stop recording for no apparent reason.

I do see where the camera is limited to a 4gb video clip or up to 1hr irrespective, but I'm not even coming close to those limitations now and I've always been able to record (exactly and predictably) up to 50 minutes, which is the limitation of my 16gb card in HD mode. At the moment it may record for 5 minutes, then turn around and record for 35 minutes, then 18 minutes, etc; before stopping...

Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 18, 2012 09:26 |  #6

You may hit 4 GB at different times depending on how complex the image is or what ISO you're using. But the camera also will shut down if the sensor is getting too hot, and if the batteries are getting warm, this would certainly be a factor. The memory battery won't be a factor, however. It only really does anything when the camera's turned off and/or you've removed the AA cells. It could be that your new 32 GB card, although claiming to be "Class 10", isn't living up to its rating. This may be due to a bad card, off-brand hyping of features or to the card being counterfeit.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 18, 2012 09:35 |  #7

The inner resistance in the batteries affects how warm the batteries gets when you load them heavily for long times. So it can matter what batteries you use.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 18, 2012 12:35 |  #8

Ralph, how often do you do low level formats of your cards? class 10 cards are rated at 10mb per second on a non-fragmented state while class 6 cards are rated at 6mb per second in a fragmented state. so its quite possible that even if your card is class 10, it could be running significantly slower due to fragmentation. perform a low level format with your camera to see if that helps.

also to be clear, is your camera turning off fully, or are you just saying that the video stops recording at random durations but the camera stays on? or are you experiencing both issues too?

Flickr (external link)

dcorban
87 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 19, 2012 07:34 |  #9

What brand is your SD card? I strongly suggest using SanDisk, as I find them to outperform their claimed specs. The majority of "brands" out there benchmark below their claimed class. If the speed drops too much below class 6, the camera will stop recording.

I use a SanDisk class 6 and record HD video up to the 4GB limit on my S100 with no issue.

sponsored links

1,734 views & 0 likes for this thread
SX-1 shutting down with video due to heat???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.