Challenge #46 - December WINNERS
It really is a hard decision to choose the winners of the contest due to the quality of all the pictures submitted.
We shared the colors of the landscapes from the extreme north of Finland and Alaska with ma-s and MegaTrixel passing through the Japan of in Japan and reaching the California of KC Jewel and Maureen Souza.
We missed the colors of the tropics and the summer in the south, but it is difficult to get everything at the same time.
We saw the family of BobbyT sharing more than just the red colors of Christmas and the gift of Don Ellis that deserved a picture and captured his attention from the conflicts of the World.
We did not miss neither the Christmas Carols of Boutty’s choir nor the contrast in the streets of the big city depicted by BottomBracket.
The picture of marie arrived a bit late, but still in time to share with us her swan’s beauty and joy of not being a turkey in December.
Although I assigned a score to some picture’s attributes to help myself with the winners, I will post them whit just my subjective appreciation.
I like it most because of the composition and beautiful gradation of colors framed by the dark branches.
I choose it because of the great balance between the bright orange color of the Pagoda and the surrounding white snow both enhanced by the blue sky in the background.
It is a very pleasant effect of the checkered cloth wrapping the bottle doubled by its own reflection in the silver hip flask but broken here and there by the white window reflections.
Those were just my personal preferences. Further constructive comments by the participants and other members of the forum are welcome.
Congratulations to the winners. Thanks to all the participants.
I wish a Happy New Year to all the forum members.
From the northern Finland you are in charge, ma-s
Challenge #46 - December
This is the first December for the speed challenges, and I think it will be difficult to move the theme far from the Festive Season started by Boutty.
Most of the entries in the last challenge were about Christmas ornaments, and just two involved people.
We may continue with what December is around us.
December is Christmas, of course, and is gifts for we lucky people that can pay for them. It also is Winter for the North, Summer for the South, and has subtle changes for us in the tropics.
Just two rules:
- Post about December around you. Post about children or people, post about gifts, about the snow or the sun, post about almost everything, better if we can say that the picture was shot in December (without reading EXIF data, of course )
- Do not post more Christmas ornaments as the main subject.
- The longest side of the image must be exactly 640 pixels.
- To do a fair play with the people that embed their images as attachments, maintain the 100kb size limit even if your picture is in an external server.
To submit, click "Post Reply" and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.
Post until Monday noon GMT, 26 December 2005
1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera (G1,G2,G3,G5,G6) or Pro 1 only.
2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Size -- photo must be EXACTLY 640 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS. Odd-sized photos ineligible.
4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
5. Posting --
* ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.
* Photo Name in the message subject line.
* Camera model.
6. Notes -- Name and camera are are you need, but you're welcome to add a story, location, photo tips, brief EXIF data.
7. Commenting -- No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed, comments can be made in this thread.
One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
- New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
- Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
- Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
- Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging" (about a third of the way down the page). Thank you.
Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.
Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.