Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Dec 2005 (Tuesday) 17:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #46 - December

Don ­ Ellis
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001

Dec 26, 2005 20:57 |  #16

Great commentary and many wonderful photos. Your choices were perfect -- well, at least the first two. :) If Marie had been a little faster, I would have been further down. They are all great and hers was one of her best -- title, caption and photo.

Thanks for hosting this challenge and for an interesting topic. MegaTrixel apologized for yet another landscape but there was no need -- we don't see enough landscapes in these challenges and all of the ones entered were lovely.

Congratulations, everyone!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So how did I spend my Christmas?
Documenting my faulty Christmas gift to Leela.

We often want things that are more romantic than practical, and one thing Leela has always wanted is a hip flask. So I looked around and bought her the most unusual one I've ever seen. In the office on Friday, I handed it to eight different people and no one could figure out what it was, much less how to open it (or even if it opened). And I like the design...

It's 3 x 4 x 0.5 inches thick, by the way. I photographed it at the angle above so you can better see how you open it -- you turn the upper-right corner 5.5 times and there you are. It's not quite so apparent when you have it in your hands. By the way, the top comes off, so don't drop it in the snow.

Then I bought a half-bottle of Remy X.O. and a laboratory bottle with filler tube to make it easy to load. All set except for the wrapping.

Late Christmas Eve we opened our presents and she loved it. After she'd played with it a bit, I said I would fill the flask with water, pour it into the filler bottle, mark the level so we'd know how much cognac to put in every time, and then fill the flask -- accurate every time.

As it turned out, I only got to Step 1 -- Filling the flask with water...

IMAGE: http://www.kleptography.com/dl/pro1/flask_dribble.jpg

Silly me... I bought a Dribble Flask. On the other hand, it may be a musical instrument; when you blow through the mouthpiece, it sounds like a conch shell.

I took these photos not for my own amusement, but in case, after returning it to the shop and asking for my money back, they repair it and tell me (or, later, the Consumer Council) there was nothing wrong with it. The lady was nice, however, so perhaps she'll cheerfully refund all that cash and we can spend a week in Bali. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Don

sponsored links
rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,978 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 26, 2005 21:42 |  #17

BottomBracket wrote:
Congratulations to Ma-s, In Japan, and Don for landing in the winner's circle! Lots of good photos this time, with huge variations on the theme. Thanks Rpolitsr for hosting, amd welcome to newcomers BobbyT and Ma-s. Merry Christmas all!

Thank you BottomBracket.
I am concerned about not commenting every picture, but the truth is that most of you know a lot more than me about photography and have the English as native language. My English is good for the technical stuff I work in, but poor for detailed evaluation of themes as photography.
To do things worst, I lost my internet connection today at 2:00 am local time ( 07:00 GMT) and recovered it at 16:00 (21:00 GMT). I saw the last three entries by the first time while I was uploading the closing post from my son’s home connection, and marie’s swan just a few minutes later.
I will read other post already uploaded and comment something about them later.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,978 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 26, 2005 22:16 |  #18

Don, I am sorry about the dribble flask. I guess it was an expensive one if you are planning a week in Bali with the cash refund!

Thanks for your comments. I am sure that every picture in this challenge may deserve the honor of the top places. It is just a matter of personal preferences.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.

in ­ Japan
185 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 26, 2005 22:19 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #19

Thank you rpolitsr for taking the time during this busy time of year to judge this week's challenge. I really enjoyed reading your commentary. Don't worry about not commenting on each photo, it's not essential. We just appreciate you being the judge for a week.

And congrats to the newcomer, ma-s, on your first place photo! Don, sorry to hear the flask didn't work out. At least you got some really nice photos and a third place out of it.

Looking forward to see what challenge emerges from Finland.

There's no day but today.

MegaTrixel
580 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 26, 2005 23:01 as a reply to  @ in Japan's post |  #20

Nicely done rpolitsr! And congratulations to each of the winners!!!!

Frankly, it's a lot of work to comment on every photograph. I wouldn't blame anyone for not doing it even if English is their first language! By-the-way, you communicate very well in English, rpolitsr.

So long 2005!!! Let's see who will be the first Speed Challenge winner of 2006!!

Prospero ano nuevo!!!

Avalanche!!! And Other Alaska Images (external link)

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 27, 2005 05:46 as a reply to  @ MegaTrixel's post |  #21

Well done to everyone who submitted to this contest. I enjoyed seeing your pictures. Congrats to the top placing winners! Great job to the host rpolitsr and good judgement. Sorry to hear the faulty Christmas gift Don! Surely you will get a refund just show them the picture of the droplets?

MAS
80 posts
Joined Sep 2002

Dec 27, 2005 08:16 as a reply to  @ Boutty's post |  #22

Hello all,

I hope it was not just a plot to get new active faces on these contests, by granting me the 1st prize :-). Thank You very much for that and thanks for your comments also concerning the winning photo(s). My photo was the last one of a series of half a dozen photos and on this one I put my camera on M, to get more saturated colours right from the camera, not reling on the parameters the camera was choosing, when shot against the sunrise. It was then only resized and sharpened a bit for this upload, nothing else done with PSE.

I must first correct one comment. Helsinki, the very same city where also Pekka comes from, it is situated on the southern cost of Finland, not in the northern part of this country. Even though days are even much shorter there at the Artic Circle and above that, or the sun not showing at all for many months, we also have it pretty dull and dark here in November and December, especially if there's no snow on the ground. But now we have!

As you can see from my profile data, I have been a member quite a while, inspite of the small number of posts. A former colleague of mine mentioned this site and as far as I can remember it right, thanks to Don and his beautiful photo gallery linked to here, I decided to buy Canon G2 in November 2001 as my first own digital camera (I had been playing with Canon S20 from work lately). I did then some posts concerning IR and G2, but ever since I have been more or less just an inactive viewer of these forums - sorry. Especially when those new models in form of G3, G4 etc. came into market, there was not that much to follow anymore, I thought. But then in June this year, I finally made up my mind and purchased Canon 20D as my 1st DSLR and I started to follow again these POTN forums more actively. And only recently I "found" also this one :lol: .

A few words of G2, before going to the next challange contest. Someone here on this forum was considering to give away his G6. I still have my "old" G2 and won't give it away ever. Thanks to it using the same battery and memory cards with my new 20D, they back up each other. And there are situations and places where it's impossible to take the 20D with the grip with you, but G2 is ok (even though Lensmate adapter makes it so much bigger, that it does not really fit into your pocket). I must stilladmit that you cannot do everything as well with it as with 20D, but in most cases it does it's job very well :eek: !

I must also admit, that I managed to see the resulta of the previous task only one minute after rpolitsr had put them on this forum. For some reason I woke up at 4 AM :cry: and couldn't sleep and desided to have a quick look at the web. You can guess that even though I did go back to bed, I couldn't get asleep any more :rolleyes: . So, while staying awake, I find out many different subjects to choose from as the next challange. New Year's Eve with it's celebration takes place during this week, but I don't take that as our next subject. Instead of that I thought we could continue with another wintery theme called:

"Below Freezing Point"

I'll send it here as a new entry soon, with some detailed thoughts.

P.S. Shall we put it still as challange #47? Or would it be better to start it again from #1 added with the year, eg. #1/2006? And if "yes", now or only after this round, next week? Brief and quick comments, please! Don?

Regards,

Canon 7Dm2, 7D w/BG-6E+40D w/BG-E2; EF 24-105 L IS, EF-S 17-85 IS; EF 85/1.8, EF 300/4 L IS, EF 70-200/4 L IS, EF 100/2.8 macro, EF 100-400 L IS, 1.4x II, 580EX II; Sigma 10-20, 30/1.4 EX , EF-500 DG Super+ Sto-Fen Omni; Kenko Tube Set etc.
Canon G2 + Lensmate; Velbon D700, Manfrotto 449 + 322RC2, 2xPOTN Strap, Lowepro Reporter 650 AW + Toploader 75 AW, Elincrom D-Lite 4 set, etc.

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,978 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 27, 2005 09:13 |  #23

Thanks to all for the comments.

A day after the stress of assigning places it seems a bit easier to write about the pictures.

Living in highlands with the east and west horizons behind huge mountains, we get just a few days with great colors in the sky at dawn or dusk. That is why the colors in KC Jewel picture are so appealing to me.

The mountains are also pretty close to us, and they are partially hidden by nearer hills. Then the crisp and leveled foreground in Maureen’s picture is a new frame for mountains to me, and so are the leaves less trees in a land with the sun always high above.

The equator, with no shorter or longer days along the year is far from the Artic Polar Circle and the dark days with the sun low in the horizon can be seen only in pictures as the winning one of ma-s.

If MegaTrixel do not tell as he shot the mountain under moon light, I would thought about a shot in day light, but the strong trees withstanding the snow on their branches are also hard to see here.

We have seen our city white after a hail storm, but soft snow exist only atop the mountains here so the snow capped Pagoda by in Japan or the many foot prints telling us about a busy and cold side walk by BottomBracket are clearly nice contributions from far places to me.

By the way, I missed your pictures, in Japan. I am very glad to see you posting here again.

A close-up of a gift can be shot everywhere in the world, but Don Ellis puts his wonderful skills as a signature even in a broken flask.

Similar things can I write about Boutty’s choir, and I also liked his ability to find a representative subject for this second edition of his Festive Season.

BobbyT shared with us the pictures of his home and lovely family with remarkable abilities for a beginner as he said he is. I enjoyed his pictures as they are now and I am looking forward for a fast progress.

marie almost always has a nice picture to share, a very special personal point of view and wonderful comments that sometimes threaten my limited English knowledge :) . I enjoyed the swan and the song lyrics.

rafael

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,978 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 27, 2005 10:15 |  #24

ma-s wrote:
I hope it was not just a plot to get new active faces on these contests, by granting me the 1st prize :) .

No, of course it was not, I really like your picture, the saturated colors the dark branches and the unusual light of the sun in the north of the planet.

ma-s wrote:
I must first correct one comment. Helsinki, the very same city where also Pekka comes from, it is situated on the southern cost of Finland, not in the northern part of this country.

I understand your concern and appreciate you pointed out the real location of Helsinki inside Finland.
Just to say that I was not wrong. I live at latitude 0° 0’ 0”. Finland and Helsinki are far north to me. I am sorry about the confusion. :) .

rafael

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,295 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 27, 2005 12:52 |  #25

What a fun idea to put the little ribbons on the photos. Congrats m-as, in Japan and Don. Your entries were great!!

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

MAS
80 posts
Joined Sep 2002

Dec 27, 2005 15:05 as a reply to  @ Maureen Souza's post |  #26

OK, thanks rpolitsr. I was more concerned of my fellow countrymen, wanting to specify to you, that there is a (big) difference when taking about southern and northern part of this country. As far as the weather or the lenght of the daytime is concern (in mid summer and mid winter), among other things.

Anyhow, new speed challenge is now running with #47.

I checked that it's of course not until next week that we have officially week #1 of the year 2006, so it's up to Don and the others to deside, how to continue with the numbering from that on.

Happy New Year and Have Fun!

Regards,

Canon 7Dm2, 7D w/BG-6E+40D w/BG-E2; EF 24-105 L IS, EF-S 17-85 IS; EF 85/1.8, EF 300/4 L IS, EF 70-200/4 L IS, EF 100/2.8 macro, EF 100-400 L IS, 1.4x II, 580EX II; Sigma 10-20, 30/1.4 EX , EF-500 DG Super+ Sto-Fen Omni; Kenko Tube Set etc.
Canon G2 + Lensmate; Velbon D700, Manfrotto 449 + 322RC2, 2xPOTN Strap, Lowepro Reporter 650 AW + Toploader 75 AW, Elincrom D-Lite 4 set, etc.

BobbyT
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 27, 2005 15:56 |  #27

congrats to the winners and all who entered. Bottombracket thank you for the welcome.

Gear List

in ­ Japan
185 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 27, 2005 20:47 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #28

rpolitsr wrote:
By the way, I missed your pictures, in Japan. I am very glad to see you posting here again.

Thanks, rpolitsr. I've missed contributing to this forum. I'm glad to be back.

Happy New Year,
Brandon

There's no day but today.

RAW
601 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 28, 2005 00:42 as a reply to  @ in Japan's post |  #29

Congrats to all the winners...great photos in this entry, I especially liked Pios.

I didn't have time to shoot for this challenge, and the camera is going this week for repair (not a major problem). Today I found something that I may have posted but now it's too late...:( ...;)

the warranty was expired for like a week or so and canon disregarded that, my repair will be for free...

Best regards,

Artan
I have my G6s Kenko TC for sale...please PM.

Eos 2oD I EF50mm f/1.4 I 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS I 24-70L I 580ex.
PS G6 I 420ex I LA 52/58mm I Hoya HMC polarizer
Kenko KNT-20 2x I Raynox DCR 6600PRO .66x.
I'm lovin' it...:D

Don ­ Ellis
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001

Dec 28, 2005 02:36 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #30

rpolitsr wrote:
Don, I am sorry about the dribble flask. I guess it was an expensive one if you are planning a week in Bali with the cash refund!

Thanks for your comments. I am sure that every picture in this challenge may deserve the honor of the top places. It is just a matter of personal preferences.

I don't even want to tell you what I paid -- I'll get altitude sickness for one thing, and you'll know that I'm crazy for another.

But there is a relatively happy ending to the story. I returned the flask today and the lady said she would take it back to Italy for repair. When I said that a little of the magic had leaked out as well and I would simply like to return it, she said, "Of course," and immediately wrote me a cheque for the amount. This was the nicest exchange I've ever had with a shopkeeper in Hong Kong.

As for commenting and voting, you did a lovely job. Short commentary is good in that it takes away the intimidation factor for future winners who will have to judge photos. And you're certainly right about personal preference.

One last thing, I didn't mention the little ribbons. Pretty cute. :)

Cheers,

Don

sponsored links

8,147 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #46 - December
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.