Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 20 Aug 2012 (Monday) 10:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What Would You Do; To This Image?

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 20, 2012 10:21 |  #1

Hello All,
I have a sequence of shots taken in the ladies dressing room (AKA bathroom) and want to know if you think my edit is spot on, because I will use those parameters for the rest of the images if so.

Otherwise, please feel free to edit the original yourself in getting correct color/exposure but keep in mind I only have PE 8 and DPP, so it must be with those programs or similar. The dressing room was a bright bluish (teil) color and I bounced the flash, hence the very cool colors in the original.

Also....

1) I don't feel a catchlight is necessary but would you suggest adding one?

2) What considerations do you use for Temperature if any?

Anyhow, I adjusted the RAW image in PE 8 as follows(some automatic, some manual).

Increased Temp: 3850 > 4500
Blacks: 2 > 5
Contrast: 25 > 45
Saturation: 0 > 3
Brightness; 50 > 75
Exposure: + 0.05

Thanks,
Ralph

P.S. I don't typically choose to share photos, in consideration of others privacy, but may inquire with some unique edit suggestions. I would like to present some really nice images to the Bride/Groom and admire much of what is presented here...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

sponsored links
erikfig
Goldmember
2,151 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 20, 2012 11:28 |  #2

Correct the WB, brighten the eyes and take it from there...

Who cares about my gear?
FlickR (external link)
Facebook (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 20, 2012 12:13 |  #3

Ralph,
Here is a screen capture from Lightroom with my adjustments to your JPG original.
There is a green cast that is hard to eliminate. Hopefully you can do better with the RAW.
There are three gradation adjustments that aren't visible on the screen clip editing. They were all applied to the right side to tone down the arm an wall.

It looks like this was available light without flash, even bounced. Bouncing a flash may have helped with the green cast in the skin shadows.

HOSTED PHOTO

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 20, 2012 14:32 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #4

Thanks for the input guys. I'm still learning RAW and the necessary digital editing, so you'll have to be a little patient. Things I didn't have to know with my 35mm.

Typically, I shoot jpeg and then just tweak the images to preference. I know you can go into PE and set the White Balance by getting the RGB numbers close, tutorial HERE (external link). However, I can only get two numbers to match with one being 22 points higher. Anyhow, my image comes out hideously red with manual adjustment. There is an "auto" RGB feature though, so I provided an image with that below. It still seems a little cool as if it needs a little more color added?

I knew my edit was a little too saturated or red, but wanted to get a quick response before delving further. BTW, the "original" I uploaded above is actually the unedited RAW image converted to jpeg. I shot in RAW/JPEG mode, so the original jpeg image is below.

What is the best way to set WB in Photoshop Elements or DPP; otherwise, what is the best way to attack this? Should I use the auto WB control and then just add a little more color?

God Bless

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

auroraskye
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 20, 2012 15:22 |  #5

That is some yucky color. I fiddled with it for a few minutes, but I could never achieve anything I'd really consider good with the color.. So.. B&W? It'll make your life easier than trying to kill that green/cyan.

BTW, your edit is still pretty under.. underexposure always makes bad colors worse..

I am super cool n' stuff.
http://www.brandithomp​sonphotography.com (external link)
Like Me On Facebook (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,898 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 20, 2012 15:36 |  #6

I quick attempt during lunch.

A couple of adjustment layers in CS5.

I know you don't have Photoshop, but it gives you an idea of what it's capable of.

Curves adjustments in the Red and Green channels.

Another Composite RGB curves adjustment to take care of the underexposure.

does Elements have a hue slider in the WB adjustment?

HOSTED PHOTO

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 20, 2012 16:58 as a reply to  @ windpig's post |  #7

Ok, Windpig's attempt seems to be more natural or at least on the right trek? Does that seem to be the case with the rest of you?

I can go into DPP and use a dropper tool to select an area with RGB around 150, 150, 150 (as another post stated) in getting White Balance. I was able to use an area on her pearl earrings in getting fairly close to those numbers. My result seems very close to what Windpig came up with (prior to uploading anyhow).

I then increased the Brightness in Photoshop Elements and came up with the following image. Is this more along the lines of what the image should look like exposure and color wise? Once I get that down I can hopefully batch process the others and then come back to tweak some things (eye's, contrast), etc.

Thanks for the help!!!

P.S. I can really tell from this edit how far off the other's were and why I wanted your help. This really seems to be closer to what I wanted and much better than my other attempts. Feedback, please....

HOSTED PHOTO

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

windpig
Chopped liver
14,898 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 20, 2012 17:14 |  #8

More betta for sure.

flickr (external link)

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 20, 2012 18:35 |  #9

windpig wrote in post #14883873 (external link)
More betta for sure.

Thanks windpig.

Is this color at least close to where it should be at this point and what more should be done, as your reply infers such? Specifics please...

Thanks, Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

windpig
Chopped liver
14,898 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 20, 2012 21:45 |  #10

Hi Ralph

It still looks like it has a blue/green color cast.

Here's a try using DPP. It's still kinda tough with the limited tools.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

auroraskye
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 20, 2012 22:11 |  #11

I do think the newest edit is much, much better although there is still green in the shadows. I still vote B&W :P

I am super cool n' stuff.
http://www.brandithomp​sonphotography.com (external link)
Like Me On Facebook (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 20, 2012 22:55 |  #12

Post #6 is probably the best.
It may be that her ear ring or terra are the most neutral reference points.

And, as mentioned, when color balance is really tough B&W is a good alternative.
It also pays, if you don't have a color checker to shoot in unusual lighting conditions, to have a shot with an acceptable white reference, bride's dress, groom's shirt. The reason I then to use them is because they are most likely to be in an image in any of the various lighting scenarios found throughout the day.

What I'm suggesting is that you find an image in this light that has a known white reference in it. Use that to set the white balance then work on the keepers.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

iMAGEN ­ STUDIOS
70 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 21, 2012 01:10 |  #13

I notice that the walls in the background are blueish /green. perhaps a color cast that shifted the WB way off. windpig's image is most natural looking. um yeah, I say B&W. :)

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 21, 2012 01:32 as a reply to  @ iMAGEN STUDIOS's post |  #14

My laptops calibration must be off some, as the colors are slightly different vs my wife's desktop. Windpigs image has a red hue to it on my computer with my image appearing more natural. I however can still see the bluish tent in my #7 edit on my wifes computer. Windpigs #6 looks best to me as David states, but still appears a little too red on each of our computers? It would seem to lay somewhere between #6 and #7...

I may end up going B/W with these bathroom shots but would still like your feedback in getting the best "color" out of it. It's a learning process and your feedback is helping. Yes, it was a tiny bathroom and painted bright tiel, wall to wall.

Thanks,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

erikfig
Goldmember
2,151 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 21, 2012 10:09 |  #15

This is what i would do to it. The colors looks ok on my crappy laptop (Not calibrated). Might look different on yours guys...

Sharpened a bit eyes,hair,libs and eye brows with a high pass.
Cleaned Skin

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Who cares about my gear?
FlickR (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

2,963 views & 0 likes for this thread
What Would You Do; To This Image?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.