Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Aug 2012 (Monday) 10:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tripod selection help

J.Litton
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 20, 2012 10:52 |  #1

I am a noob for the most part when it comes to Tripod shooting. I have always been a handheld only type guy for the nature photography I do, but I want to expand and start doing better landscapes, long exposures, and night photography. Obviously to do this I will need a tripod.

I am looking for a tripod to ONLY do landscape and night photography, it will never be holding any of my tele lenses.

I am looking for the total cost to be around $350 for the tripod and head. I plan on using it with my 7D and 17-40 lens.

I have been very happy with Induro monopods and have been looking at the Induro AT214 tripod with the BHD2 head.

http://www.amazon.com …LJB&coliid=I156​0CUT1DRRSC (external link)

http://www.amazon.com …1-1&keywords=induro+at21​4 (external link)

7D MK II.17-40L.100-400L.500L
www.jlitton.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/jlitt​on.nature.photography (external link)

sponsored links
DavidR
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 20, 2012 17:16 |  #2

How tall are you? I'm 6-0 and the extra height that the AT313 (I have the Benro equivalent) has came in handy for me many times.

M10 - ZM 21mm - Elmarit 28mm-CV - Nokton 50mm f/1.2 - Elmarit 90mm

HaroldC3
Goldmember
3,038 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined May 2007

Aug 20, 2012 17:25 |  #3

I used to think twist locks were the way to go. I even had an Induro tripod with twist locks. I never did like how long it took to deploy and pack up.

Then I went with a Benro and haven't looked back since. I'd take a look at this one: http://www.amazon.com …-34&keywords=benro+trip​od (external link)

Flickr (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

J.Litton
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 20, 2012 20:13 |  #4

I am 5'11

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 21, 2012 04:29 |  #5

HaroldC3 wrote in post #14883914 (external link)
I used to think twist locks were the way to go. I even had an Induro tripod with twist locks. I never did like how long it took to deploy and pack up.

Then I went with a Benro and haven't looked back since.

Aaargh! Flip-locks! Spawn of the devil!

They seem to be designed with but one purpose - to trap every drawstring and strap within reach.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 21, 2012 12:35 |  #6

J.Litton wrote in post #14882168 (external link)
I am looking for a tripod to ONLY do landscape and night photography, it will never be holding any of my tele lenses.

I am looking for the total cost to be around $350 for the tripod and head. I plan on using it with my 7D and 17-40 lens.

I have been very happy with Induro monopods and have been looking at the Induro AT214 tripod with the BHD2 head.

I do the same type of photography and recently bought the Induro AT214 to replace another tripod. I use it with a 50D & 5D II along with a 17-40, 17-55, and 24-105. No problems.

Take a look at the BHL series of ball heads. They are lighter and more compact that the comparable model in the BHD series. I chose the BHL1 over the BHD2. The advantage for me was that it is shorter and lighter with the same weight capacity (I was trying to come in under 5 pounds). The disadvantage was that it had a 36mm ball sphere diameter instead of 44mm.

I'm 5'9" and the AT214 + BHL1 combination brings the camera viewfinder exactly to my eye level when wearing shoes, so it may be just a bit short for you. The BHD2 is 1" taller which may be better for you, but it is also a half pound heavier.

You may also want to consider the optional short center column (external link) if you like to get really close to the ground. You can't spread the legs this far with the standard column.

IMAGE: http://www.msbphoto.com/img/s1/v46/p650892671-4.jpg

Here it is in the ocean with the 5D II + 17-40
IMAGE: http://www.msbphoto.com/img/s1/v49/p1023327391-4.jpg

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

J.Litton
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 23, 2012 13:54 |  #7

Thank you very much Mark! I was thinking about buying a skimmer ground pod, whats the chance these heads could hold a 500 while attached to it?

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 23, 2012 14:41 |  #8

J.Litton wrote in post #14897163 (external link)
Thank you very much Mark! I was thinking about buying a skimmer ground pod, whats the chance these heads could hold a 500 while attached to it?

I'm sure the BHL3 could hold it, but it's $311. The BHL1 that I have definitely would not do for a 500mm lens. Here's a comparison of the Induro BHL3 vs RRS BH-55:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=CnFk7EV8_tA (external link)

Mark-B

KHAWACHEN
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 23, 2012 15:16 |  #9

J.Litton wrote in post #14882168 (external link)
I am a noob for the most part when it comes to Tripod shooting. I have always been a handheld only type guy for the nature photography I do, but I want to expand and start doing better landscapes, long exposures, and night photography. Obviously to do this I will need a tripod.

http://www.amazon.com …LJB&coliid=I156​0CUT1DRRSC (external link)

http://www.amazon.com …1-1&keywords=induro+at21​4 (external link)

HaroldC3 wrote in post #14883914 (external link)

Then I went with a Benro and haven't looked back since. I'd take a look at this one: http://www.amazon.com …-34&keywords=benro+trip​od (external link)

Same here... sometimes i end up un-twisting it a little too much and the leg just falls off. If and when i'll be in a market for a tripod, i'll get a Flip-Lock ones..

Check out this Video Review on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com …deID=&tag=#wasT​hisHelpful (external link)

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 23, 2012 15:30 |  #10

KHAWACHEN wrote in post #14897599 (external link)
Same here... sometimes i end up un-twisting it a little too much and the leg just falls off. If and when i'll be in a market for a tripod, i'll get a Flip-Lock ones..

My tripod only needs a 1/4 turn to open and close the legs, but I usually do a 1/2 turn anyway. It takes 15 half turns to remove the leg. No way that could happen accidentally.

Mark-B

DavidR
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 23, 2012 15:49 |  #11

sometimes i end up un-twisting it a little too much and the leg just falls off

What brand tripod was this?

M10 - ZM 21mm - Elmarit 28mm-CV - Nokton 50mm f/1.2 - Elmarit 90mm

KHAWACHEN
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 23, 2012 15:59 |  #12

DavidR wrote in post #14897797 (external link)
What brand tripod was this?

HorusBennu 1128TT. Even if it doesn't fall, the lowest leg or skinniest one, wiggles a log. Feels weak.

It's light and still works but not durable. I guess they make durable ones but this was purchased on eBay, shipped from Korea, so may not be worth it if something were wrong with it as shipping internationally would cost too much.

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 23, 2012 16:27 |  #13

Sounds like a bad design. I wouldn't write off twists locks entirely until you try a better one.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

peter_n
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 23, 2012 20:08 |  #14

Think twice before you get flip-locks. There's a reason why all the high-end tripods have twist locks...

~Peter

M635_Guy
232 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 23, 2012 20:24 |  #15

I hated the flip-locks.

I'd check out the Sirui aluminum tripod:
www.bhphotovideo.com/b​nh/controller/home?O=&​sku=822137&Q=&is=REG&A​=details (external link)

and one of the entry Sunwayfoto heads:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …DB_36_DB36_Ball​_Head.html (external link)

Slightly above your budget, but I think an extremely nice setup for the $$$$.

My blog: Enthusiast Photographer (external link)
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/e24mpwr/sets/ (external link)

sponsored links

3,479 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripod selection help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.