Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Aug 2012 (Monday) 10:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Card Help

J.Litton
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 20, 2012 10:56 |  #1

I am heading out west for a trip to Yellowstone/Tetons/Gla​cier NP and plan on doing a large amount of animal photography. I am going to buy new cards for the trip and was looking at the Transcend 600x 16GB cards. I have been happy with their 400x cards, but wanted to make sure the 600x would be faster, and that I am not better off buying Sandisk.

7D MK II.17-40L.100-400L.500L
www.jlitton.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/jlitt​on.nature.photography (external link)

sponsored links
Hopelessdfilms
169 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 20, 2012 12:44 |  #2

IMHO Sandisk makes wonderful cards. HUGLY HIGHLY RELIABLE. Good prices. Yes there are cheaper cards out there from other brands.... do they work well? Probably... but there's also cards out there marketed at a certain speed that when tested don't match their markings, and other issues.

In the long run what do you really save by going with an off brand card? I'm guessing not that much $.

I'm using the sandisk 'extreme' 16 gig cf cards and have successfully drained the buffer on a 1DX and shot numerous lengthy video clips at the lowest compression without any issues.

I believe this exact card is roughly around 50-60$

just my .02c

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Aug 20, 2012 20:51 |  #3

I just returned from almost that exact same trip and almost completely filled 80 GB worth of cards. I have the Sandisk Extreme 16GB. I shoot 2 7D's currently. Great cards and I have never had a problem with them.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

TheDocAUS
79 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 20, 2012 23:43 |  #4

The Transcend 600x are indeed faster. But your camera needs to be quick enough to notice the difference.

Definitely faster download speeds if using USB 3 to your PC.

Lexar 32GB and 16 GB cards 1000x are on special at Adorama and B&H – at least they were yesterday.

http://www.adorama.com​/ILXPCF1K322.html (external link)

http://www.adorama.com​/ILXPCF1K162.html (external link)

Review of USB 3.0 Readers (external link)

penduboy
308 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 21, 2012 00:25 |  #5

I am using Sandisk Ultra 16gb on my 5d Mark II and never have any buffering issues or any other problems. They are currently on sale for $29 at B&H.

I ordered couple more.....do I need to spend $80 to get higher speed?....probably not.

Pendu

fishinfool
262 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 21, 2012 00:37 |  #6

I have been rotating 2 Delkin 16GB CombatFlash (external link) cf memory cards for almost 2 years now and they haven't let me down yet. The case they come with are pretty close to indestructible.

6D + BG-E13, 7D2 + BG-E16, 7D + BG-E7, 16-35 f/2.8L II USM, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, + 1.4x III, 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM, 24-105 f/4L IS USM, 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 50 f/1.4 USM, 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, 580EX II & 430EX II, Manfrotto MT057C4 + RRS BH-55, Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 + Acratech GP, Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 + 128RC , Manfrotto 681B + Sirui L-10, Gorillapod Focus + Manfrotto 234RC.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 21, 2012 04:25 |  #7

J.Litton wrote in post #14882187 (external link)
I have been happy with their 400x cards, but wanted to make sure the 600x would be faster, and that I am not better off buying Sandisk.

Card speed on the 7D matters for one thing and one thing only - how quickly a full buffer is cleared. So the first question is - how often do you have to wait for the red light to stop after you've shot a long burst? If the answer is 'never' or 'rarely', then you won't notice the difference between cards.

If the answer is 'often' then you may notice that the faster card clears the buffer in 10 seconds while the slower card takes 12 seconds. If those two seconds are important to you - then go ahead and splash out on the faster cards.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

J.Litton
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 21, 2012 07:28 |  #8

I usually wait for buffer to clean about every other outing. It depends, obviously it is only when something great is happening.

7D MK II.17-40L.100-400L.500L
www.jlitton.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/jlitt​on.nature.photography (external link)

John333
85 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 21, 2012 08:29 |  #9

you can get sandisk cards for cheap at amazon.

$16.99 for a 16gb extreme SD 45mb/s card. (external link) at that price, I think it's a no-brainer to go with a sandisk card(s).

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 21, 2012 09:30 |  #10

John333 wrote in post #14886333 (external link)
you can get sandisk cards for cheap at amazon.

$16.99 for a 16gb extreme SD 45mb/s card. (external link) at that price, I think it's a no-brainer to go with a sandisk card(s).

You can't use an SD card in a 7D camera.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,870 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 22, 2012 06:29 as a reply to  @ luciddreamer's post |  #11

I have never used the Transcend cards. I would purchase some 16GB Sandisk or Lexar cards, which I do have, and am familiar with. B&H has Lexar cards on sale through the end of August.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,832 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 22, 2012 06:46 |  #12

Faster cards will also reduce the download times...but you need USB 3 between the card reader and computer to take advantage of that faster potential speed. I use Lexar 600x in my 7D and 1000x in my 5DIII. I read the cards in a Lexar dual slot USB3 reader.

sponsored links

1,618 views & 0 likes for this thread
Card Help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.