Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Aug 2012 (Friday) 13:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kickstarter Campaign: Quikdraw

Ming-Tzu
919 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 24, 2012 13:49 |  #1

For clarity, I am not affiliated with this project. However, after watching the videos and reading about it, I did decide to back the project to the tune of three holsters.

Has anyone checked this out yet? I am not a big fan of changing lens in the fields because carrying around several lenses at once is too much of a hassle. Also, I would need to probably bend down somewhere safe and change the lens. Seems risky.

I imagine these holsters will be good to serve those purposes. I can walk around with my two camera, two additional lenses, and change out when necessary.

My only concerns are:

1) Locking Mechanism - I know the videos and website say it's impossible for the lens to fall out. However, my basic nature is to question that so, hopefully, I am wrong.

2) Belt - I am a portly person, unlike anyone in those videos. So I wonder how the holster would work on someone with a bulging waistline lol. My initial impression is that it wouldn't matter because the belt and lenses would sag to below the waistline because of the combined weight. So it seems ok to me. Hopefully, the belt has a good locking mechanism as well.

I am thinking that I might keep the lenses towards the back of my body when I don't need it. I know that's not the intended purpose and I lose a few seconds here and there, but I am fine with that tradeoff. My thinking is that by keeping the lenses towards the back of your body, it allows you to squat, bent or kneel down to get the lower angled shots without having to worry about your gear hitting the floor.

<insert gear here>

sponsored links
gotak
949 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 24, 2012 14:55 |  #2

A few thoughts:

1) There are belt systems out there. Padded ones to keep your lens safer should you turn and hit a table corner with them.
2) This system will tie you to a system. That is if you swap for Nikon or Sony / vice versa you are going to lose money selling this to someone and having to buy a new one back. Existing belt pouches don't have this problem
3) I don't buy their claims of 5 seconds. That means 2.5 seconds to take your lens off your body and secure it and 2.5 to pick a new one and put it on the body. Sure if you practice all the time you might be able to get close but for me lighting changes will just expose by butter finger tendencies, at great cost to myself.
4) Carrying the lens is only 1 part of the lens swapping equation. For those concerned about scartches they will want to put the front cap back on. You also might need to change shutter speed and ISO when you swap lengths. It's not a simple as 5 second (if that's even possible without risk of making a L lens brick) and you are ready to shoot.

http://bubble-trees.com/ (external link)
7D x2,, 50 f1.8, 11-16 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 100 2.8L, 430EX, 580EX, Di866, pixel king wireless TTL trigger.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 24, 2012 21:08 |  #3

I'm glad you pointed this out. It actually looks very interesting. I also agree with gotak mostly.

One thing concerns me is: Is there a locking mechanism just like the camera, where you need to push a button to release the lens from the holster? If not, that would be less than secure in my opinion.

And while padding is nice, lens pouches, etc., this is a much quicker method and there are times where padding is not needed.

I had the Cotton Carrier (until my camera fell off) and have the Spyder which is very secure. When I go hiking, I will not use it. Should I slip and fall, the camera (and with this item the lenses) are all exposed to damage. In those instances I always carry a backpack.

However, if on the side of a game or walking around shooting, I can see that system coming in quite handy, especially for someone like me who only has one camera body.

Ming-Tzu
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 25, 2012 00:20 |  #4

After some further thought, I will probably always carry two bodies. And I am able to cover most FLs with two lenses. Nice to have the flexibility I guess. But that's why I try to plan ahead of time by researching the venue, event type, etc.

<insert gear here>

MasterMace
33 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 25, 2012 05:11 |  #5

link? Can't find it on kickstarter...

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 25, 2012 05:26 |  #6

http://www.kickstarter​.com …n-innovative-lens-holster (external link)

interesting idea, but I would definitely smack the lens into something if I used this for an event or wedding. There's a reason why the lowepro belt system/thinktank system is highly regarded, however this system focuses on time and efficiency between lens swaps and I know that time is everything in some situations.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

tongki
439 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 26, 2012 07:22 |  #7

Ming-Tzu wrote in post #14904032 (external link)
After some further thought, I will probably always carry two bodies. And I am able to cover most FLs with two lenses. Nice to have the flexibility I guess. But that's why I try to plan ahead of time by researching the venue, event type, etc.

rather than bringing 2 bodies,
it will be much simple bringing 1 bodies and 2 lenses as I always do,
in my experience, tele lens used in less than 1% of my shooting,
wide lens mostly all the time

the weight of 2nd body better put it on the bigger flash and battery pack

EOS 70D x 2 units + EOS 7D mark II x3 units
Newton FR3, Newton modified bracket, EF 17-40mm x4,EF 24-70mm f/2.8 x2, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 x2
Quantum Trio x2, T5D-R x1 + FW7Q x1, CoPilot x2, Godox AD-180 x5
Propac PB960 head x12, PB960 battery x10
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 26, 2012 09:25 |  #8

Ming-Tzu wrote in post #14904032 (external link)

EXACTLY! Especially if youre doing paid work, you should ALWAYS have two bodies if for nothing else redundancy! You never know what can happen! On top of that there really isnt much I havent been able to cover with a 24-70 and a 70-200. I bring along the 17-40 just in case but with a couple full frame bodies and those two lenses youre set and proper.

Not only that, a padded case belt system is WAY safer for your lenses than something that lets them dangle around hitting things as you walk around working. Plus it probably weighs less than this rig. Silly, unneeded idea IMO.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Moose408
884 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 26, 2012 17:45 |  #9

ben_r_ wrote in post #14908225 (external link)
Not only that, a padded case belt system is WAY safer for your lenses than something that lets them dangle around hitting things as you walk around working. Plus it probably weighs less than this rig. Silly, unneeded idea IMO.

That's a little harsh. It may be unneeded for your purposes but I can think of several situations where I shoot where it would be handy. It's not ideal for all situations, but no solution is. I adapt to the environment.

The issue with the padded bags is that I have to unzip them, and take off the back cap. The transferring of the back cap is always my issue and where I need 3 hands. There was a great solution for that on Kickstarter a month back but he didn't get funding.

Canon 5DmkII | 24-105mm f/4.0L IS | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | 50mm f/1.8
Photography Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Model Mayhem (external link)

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 26, 2012 18:28 |  #10

Harsh indeed. It's actually a good idea. And not everyone walks around banging their stuff. And not everyone has a second body. I don't. And I don't want to carry another heavy body either.

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 26, 2012 19:12 |  #11

It's a neat idea, but they need to bring the price down once it's ready for production. Your average photographer using a belt system is going to have about 3 lenses hanging off it. Right now, you have to pledge $245-260 to get 3 units.

It's also not necessarily quicker. I've seen a lot of people drop their lenses into a lens case and not close it up; so you might not save that much time. It is more secure, though.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 26, 2012 19:24 |  #12

Agree price is way too high

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 26, 2012 19:37 |  #13

I saw this a few days ago. I signed up for one.

With how, and what I shoot, I have no draw back about the system. I dont do weddings, so bumping into tables is not even a remote possibility no less a real concern. There is far more of chance of dropping it while changing the lens than bumping into something. And you can drop a lens with EVERY system. So its a moot point.

I actually see no down sides that overpower any of the up sides. So I decided to support it.

I already use my own combo of a belt system so I may already be in the mindset.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 26, 2012 21:24 |  #14

Pass. I would much rather use a dump pouch design. You know, a design that has been used on and off for centuries and is well proven.

With a dump pouch, I stuff the lens into the opening and let go, it is as fast, if not faster, than this design, with the added benefit of not being able to screw up. I don't have to align anything, just stuff it though a hole where gravity takes over and the pouch catches it. include a quick drawstring to secure it so nothing can fall out if I have to bend over.

With this 'quickdraw' system, I foresee lots of fumbling and potential for dropped glass. With a pouch, if I'm in a hurry and fumble it while trying to stuff a lens in, then chances are good that if I drop it it will continue to fall into the pouch... With this belt system if I fumble and drop it, there is nothing to catch it.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

TijmenDal
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 27, 2012 00:52 |  #15

gotak wrote in post #14901976 (external link)
A few thoughts:

1) There are belt systems out there. Padded ones to keep your lens safer should you turn and hit a table corner with them.
2) This system will tie you to a system. That is if you swap for Nikon or Sony / vice versa you are going to lose money selling this to someone and having to buy a new one back. Existing belt pouches don't have this problem
3) I don't buy their claims of 5 seconds. That means 2.5 seconds to take your lens off your body and secure it and 2.5 to pick a new one and put it on the body. Sure if you practice all the time you might be able to get close but for me lighting changes will just expose by butter finger tendencies, at great cost to myself.
4) Carrying the lens is only 1 part of the lens swapping equation. For those concerned about scartches they will want to put the front cap back on. You also might need to change shutter speed and ISO when you swap lengths. It's not a simple as 5 second (if that's even possible without risk of making a L lens brick) and you are ready to shoot.

1: Lenses are sturdy. Really sturdy. Don't bang your lenses into a table in the first place
2: Why would you switch from Canon? D'uh...
3: This is MUCH faster than anything out there
4: Use lens hoods

And to answer other question about locking the lenses:
you can only put it in or out if the ring is completely up. If it's hanging down, the lens can't get off.

//Tijmen
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tijmendalexternal link

Gear

sponsored links

8,784 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kickstarter Campaign: Quikdraw
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.