Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Aug 2012 (Friday) 13:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kickstarter Campaign: Quikdraw

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 01, 2012 06:18 |  #46

D. Vance wrote in post #14932892 (external link)
hiking people dont switch Lenses? That's when I would want it... That, and weddings. :D
I'd probably back it, but I don't have the money handy. :(

You can back it with one dollar. It doesn't have to be the full amount.

sponsored links
Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 02, 2012 04:41 |  #47

MDJAK wrote in post #14934229 (external link)
Really Case? Because you measured the slots behind this product and know for a fact that EVERY belt system is incompatible? Wrong. Flat out wrong.

I have a narrow thinktank belt I guarantee will slip right through this. My spyder holster belt which I affix lowepro and thinktank pouches to will slip right through this product.

And when I get it I will take pics and prove it.

Oh, and I take my car to a shoot but I don't expect to put it on my belt system. ;)

You sound randomly aggressive Mark, I can't measure a non-released product now can i?

So i have to go by what they say, which is amongst other things a removable buckle, which none of my belts have. And remember that i said every single belt, I'VE USED, your's are free to go.

Mine are not only non-removable buckles (their reqs not mine) but also really thick with added pouch slots which makes the belt incredibly thick total, so no, that slot does not look like it will even remotely fit.

:cool:

p.s: sorry but i have to kill the car thing too, i mean you wouldn't suddenly need the car right in the middle of a shoot right? But a WB and batteries should be on you at all times? Right!? I hope so. Now leave the round holes and square pegs alone Mark, or youtube it so i can have some fun later :cool:

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 02, 2012 06:47 |  #48

You are right on a number of points Case. My apologies.

I still like the product however. After all if current belts won't fit through it, nothing stops other pouches being hung from the belt he provides.

Again, apologies for the tone of my reply.

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 02, 2012 09:40 |  #49

There are definatley problems and issues with it. But they seem to be more in HOW it will be used than the design it self. Most points seem to be along the line of complaining that their race car might over heat in traffic, and is too hard to parallel park because there is no right side mirror. Things that the race car can in deed do, but had no intention to be done when it was designed. There is no one product that works for everybody in every situation. But people love to call these things out anyway and dismiss the products as junk only because it does not fit what/how they shoot.

I see this product really only for use while on a location shoot. Not for getting to the shoot however. But once you are there and there is no place convenient to put anything. I am a lens changer. I am not shy about swapping lenses in the middle of a shoot. So for me this would be perfect as I can do it with out help or having to stop everything to go over to the bag and fish out the next lens. With a bit of use Im guessing a 5-7 second swap is realistic. So for how and what I shoot this is a great idea and hopefully a real product. But I can surely see uses that this would be a horrible thing to use.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 02, 2012 10:04 |  #50

Mark1 wrote in post #14937688 (external link)
There are definatley problems and issues with it. But they seem to be more in HOW it will be used than the design it self. Most points seem to be along the line of complaining that their race car might over heat in traffic, and is too hard to parallel park because there is no right side mirror. Things that the race car can in deed do, but had no intention to be done when it was designed. There is no one product that works for everybody in every situation. But people love to call these things out anyway and dismiss the products as junk only because it does not fit what/how they shoot.

I see this product really only for use while on a location shoot. Not for getting to the shoot however. But once you are there and there is no place convenient to put anything. I am a lens changer. I am not shy about swapping lenses in the middle of a shoot. So for me this would be perfect as I can do it with out help or having to stop everything to go over to the bag and fish out the next lens. With a bit of use Im guessing a 5-7 second swap is realistic. So for how and what I shoot this is a great idea and hopefully a real product. But I can surely see uses that this would be a horrible thing to use.

Yes, but how does this product actually do its job any faster or better than existing wide mouth dump pouches? (That can be had for a fraction of the price. Seriously, I've seen military pouches, complete with elastic dust and object retention covers, that could be had for $10 a piece, belt another $10, and the suspenders were $8. Olive Drab goes with everything, right?)

I have played paintball with a mag fed pistol, and have spent a lot of time working on swapping things as quickly as possible. I'm also a computer scientist, so I spend a lot of time analysing the time, steps, and motions involved in stuff.

With a dump pouch system you have a 'complex/precise' movement of twisting the lens off to remove it from the camera, and another to put the next lens on.
Getting it in your next free pouch doesn't care how the lens has been rotated, snapping the elastic cover back over is easy, pushing the cover back is a simple motion, as is drawing the next lens up.

With this system, you get a complex motion for taking the lens off, making sure it is properly aligned and locked with the socket, properly unlocked from the belt socket, and finally putting it back on. You can gain a minor bonus in that you're more likely to have the lens already 'indexed' in your hand, but I have never had a problem finding that little dot/nub while I'm picking a lens up and brining it to the camera.

And with this system, you lose all the protection offered of a pouch based system.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 02, 2012 14:23 |  #51

Its more than obvious that it is not made for people that need the protection. Or at least I thought it was rather obvious. It is one thing if you are shooting a reception and have 500 people, 500 chairs and 200 tables, 50 servers...etc...etc.. to dodge.... This is not for you. That type of shooter does indeed need something to cover the gear. I don't shoot that and have no intention of adding it, so it is a moot issue to me. But if you are shooting a senior on location, or a fashion shoot on location. Where there is nothing to bump into this may be a good idea to try. Is it perfect... I doubt it, but neither are any of the other options. Goes right back to my point above. Making issue with one or two things it is not the best thing for. so damning it accross the board for all situations.

I could not care if it is "fast as possible"... convenient and efficient is what I look for. In almost every situation it is the user that will drag down the operation. Its not usually the gear. The first time you swapped the mag on your marker under fire you probably hated the process and messes it up a few times. But obviously took the time to learn how to do it cleanly and efficiently, and can now do it blindfolded in the heat of a match. Why is this any different?

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 02, 2012 15:07 |  #52

The difference is a well designed pouch achieves the same thing, and more, for less money.

What does this do Better than a good pouch design? I see this design achieving nothing more than a well designed pouch, costing more, and having multiple potentially critical usage flaws.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

DavidR
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 02, 2012 16:18 |  #53

^
Eliminates the need to reinstall the rear lens cap. A pouch system would be faster if you didn't care about dust.

M10 - ZM 21mm - Elmarit 28mm-CV - Nokton 50mm f/1.2 - Elmarit 90mm

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 02, 2012 16:22 |  #54

DavidR wrote in post #14939065 (external link)
^
Eliminates the need to reinstall the rear lens cap. A pouch system would be faster if you didn't care about dust.

A pouch with a lid would also do just that, no need for front caps if you leave on the hoods either.

DavidR
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 02, 2012 16:38 |  #55

What are front caps? :lol:
With a pouch system (even with a lid) without a rear lens cap installed, one would need to clean their sensor more often I would think.

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 02, 2012 17:07 |  #56

DavidR wrote in post #14939141 (external link)
What are front caps? :lol:
With a pouch system (even with a lid) without a rear lens cap installed, one would need to clean their sensor more often I would think.

Why?

MDJAK wrote in post #14937340 (external link)
You are right on a number of points Case. My apologies.

I still like the product however. After all if current belts won't fit through it, nothing stops other pouches being hung from the belt he provides.

Again, apologies for the tone of my reply.

No worries Mark, you're a good fellow.

DavidR
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 02, 2012 18:07 |  #57

Csae wrote in post #14939239 (external link)
Why?

Are the lens pouches you are referring to dust free and sealed? If not then dust will get on the rear element and will get into the mirror box and will eventually get on the sensor requiring more frequent cleaning than someone that always uses rear caps.

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 02, 2012 18:59 |  #58

DavidR wrote in post #14939450 (external link)
Are the lens pouches you are referring to dust free and sealed? If not then dust will get on the rear element and will get into the mirror box and will eventually get on the sensor requiring more frequent cleaning than someone that always uses rear caps.

The lid will cover the back element, similar to how the quickdraw would cover it... The quickdraw is not only Not dust sealed, it can't even be sealed at all in case of anything like you know.. rain, sand, wedding cake.

When you lift the lid off a pouch, you are also creating a tiny vacuum motion removing some of the dust.

But the moment you remove the lens from the pouch or quickdraw you enter free-dust roam world, so neither options are dust free.

Changing lenses in the field will always introduce dust, best solution against that is not to. 2nd, 3rd, 4etc bodies.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 02, 2012 19:23 |  #59

I really don't see dust as being a big issue. And maybe I'm blind, but since the advent of good in camera sensor cleaning, I've never had an issue with a dirty sensor.

As to this item versus lens pouches, I own a few pouches, made by Lowepro and Thinktank. I have one of Thinktank's newer designs, with a pull tab made to be used with one hand, I have the Whip-it-out, etc.

Now, granted, I'm one of the least talented around, but I've never had an easy time either putting in a lens or taking one out of a lens pouch. They tend to stick out of the top, and are not that comfortable.

This looks interesting, plain and simple. Whether it lives up to its promise remains to be seen. It's not like it's a thousand dollar investment. As my friends like to say about me, I blow my nose in hundred dollar bills, so to have backed it was a no brainer. At least for me.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 04, 2012 14:19 |  #60

Yea!!!!! It's funded. It's at $101,000.

sponsored links

8,760 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kickstarter Campaign: Quikdraw
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.