Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 25 Aug 2012 (Saturday) 00:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does a High ISO (multiple exposure) noise reduction software exist?

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 25, 2012 00:11 |  #1

I am looking for a PC software (if it exists) that does something like the feature on the newer generation cameras. I want to take multiple images at the same exposure and have a software that can look at them all and map out the noise to produce a clean image in the end. Does such a thing exist? I think its a fantastic feature, just that i prefer not to have to do it in jpeg mode through the camera. If i can run RAWs through ACR and then let a software properly remove the noise, that will be revolutionary in my eyes

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

sponsored links
macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 25, 2012 00:23 |  #2

Current versions of Canon DPP can average multiple images together using the compositing tool. This would basically do what you want. You can average multiple images together on different layers in Photoshop too.

Why not just shoot one longer exposure at ISO 100? If the subject were moving, then adding images together wouldn't work anyway and a well exposed ISO 100 shot should be clean enough for almost any purpose.

Photo Gear

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 25, 2012 00:49 |  #3

macroimage wrote in post #14904041 (external link)
Current versions of Canon DPP can average multiple images together....... You can average multiple images together on different layers in Photoshop too..

I am not fimiliar with this. How do you average multiple layers? Is it the same method as actually mapping out noise?

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 25, 2012 00:52 |  #4

macroimage wrote in post #14904041 (external link)
Why not just shoot one longer exposure at ISO 100?

Maybe because multiple ISO 100 shots could come out cleaner? Just a thought because i find the idea facinating that noise can actually be mapped out, i want to have a go at it.

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 25, 2012 01:06 |  #5

boerewors wrote in post #14904095 (external link)
I am not fimiliar with this. How do you average multiple layers? Is it the same method as actually mapping out noise?

Generally noise is random and will be different from picture to picture, but the real picture is not random. Real details will be the same each shot. If you average multiple photos together, then the random variations will average out and the real image parts will not making a very clean image. This is similar to how low cost astrophotography is done.

Photo Gear

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 25, 2012 01:29 |  #6

ok thanks for the explanation. now how is it done in photoshop? there is no average blending mode for layers

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 25, 2012 01:42 |  #7

Cambridge in Colour has a good tutorial called "NOISE REDUCTION BY IMAGE AVERAGING" using Photoshop here (external link).

Photo Gear

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 25, 2012 02:31 |  #8

so its merely reducing the opacity between the layers according to a calculation. what i like is the comment about how averaging increases the bit depth. sounds all too good.
thanks for the info. im off to do some experimenting :)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 25, 2012 06:33 |  #9

There is one, it's called PhotoAcute Studio (external link), and I've been using it for a long while now. Not only does it stack images for noise, but also resolution and other things, under the right circumstances you can effectively double the resolution of your camera while reducing noise.

The software needs a profile for your specific camera/lens combination, but if you make your own profiles, you may even get a free licence to use the software.

what i like is the comment about how averaging increases the bit depth. sounds all too good.

Well, sort of... The bit-depth, dynamic range, and noise of any given digital camera are all linked together. The bit depth of the analog-to-digital (ADC) converters of the sensor will determine the maximum theoretical dynamic range of the sensor, 14-bit ADC results in 14 stops of dynamic range for most modern cameras, but it becomes hampered by the noise floor. The cleanest digital cameras of today, like the Nikon D800 at ISO100 have 13.5 stops of DR, this means that at ISO 100 you can push the blackest blacks up to a brighter value and they will retain detail.

If a camera were capable of reproducing all 14 stops with no electronic or photon interference, it would basically be as clean as CGI, and you wouldn't see any noise even if you pushed the blacks into the highlights... at which point it would probably make sense for the industry to switch over to 16-bit tech and reach for 16-stop cameras. Unfortunately, physics may* not allow this, even if the tech is good enough. Photoshop's own 16-bit mode is actually 15-bit, because Adobe believes that no one could possibly make use of that many bits (but anyone who has used computers for any length of time knows how those kinds of assumptions turn out!). *I do not claim to have a good understanding of physics.

So what I'm saying is that averaging doesn't increase bit depth, but it does reduce the noise floor and improves the dynamic range, which in turn, makes actual use of the bits the data is assigned to. (The 5D3, for example, may manage only up to about 12.5 stops DR, so it's 14-bit ADC's only serve to quantize the noise floor; if it had 12-bit ADC you most likely wouldn't notice the difference)

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 25, 2012 06:45 |  #10

If you have PSCSx Extended, here's how it's done:

http://help.adobe.com …e-8EAB-1384C0B432D3a.html (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 25, 2012 08:10 |  #11

As usual Rene comes in with a wealth of information that i never knew existed! I so eagerly want to get back to my PC to try that method out, but im banned from the PC as my wife is doing all her girly nonsense for the next few hours :(
I had earlier tried the method shared by macroimage and it worked well. I stacked 4 images that were taken at ISO 3200 and it cleaned up remarkably well! But i havent yet compared it to a low ISO, long exposure. Would the low ISO, long exposure yeild the same noise as a stacked high ISO image and therefore make stacking pointless in most situations?

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,905 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 25, 2012 14:06 |  #12

http://deepskystacker.​free.fr/english/index.​html (external link)

Also - read through the link on the left "How to create better images" to get an explanation of stacking and why you would want to do it (i.e., increase SNR).

Also - As René has pointed out, stacking is a little used but very powerful tool. Here is a dated but relevant experiment:

https://photography-on-the.net …?t=750512&highl​ight=stack

Understanding stacking modes also permits other tricks, like eliminating ghosts of people moving through frames, like this:

IMAGE: http://kirkt.smugmug.com/Photography/Photo-of-the-Day/i-FF4gnzn/0/X3/Composite-X3.jpg

The lower right image is the median stacked combination of all of the other images in the composite, stacked with a median stack. Magic! Think of the randomly placed colored blocks as people moving through a static scene - take enough registered images and stack them with median and you eliminate the dynamically occurring elements.

kirk

Kirk
---

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 26, 2012 06:02 |  #13

Russel Brown has some video's about stacking here (external link)

Straight links to the Quicktime .mov files:

CS5 Extended: Tourist and Car Remover (external link)
CS4: Combining Multiple Exposures with Dr. Brown’s Stack-A-Matic (external link)
CS3 Extended: Smart Objects and Stack Mode Settings (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

4,960 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does a High ISO (multiple exposure) noise reduction software exist?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.