Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 30 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 21:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

An Introduction and an Opinion

C.J. ­ Chiasson
174 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 30, 2012 21:28 |  #1

Hello all. I'm new on POTN and I figured I'd drop in and say hi and ask a couple macro related questions.

I've been into photography for a long time now. But 35mm kept me from getting serious because of the costs involved. I'm a lot older, and hopefully wiser, now and I'm trying to get back into things. My photo interests right now are macro, street, and landscapes. I've had a G9 for the last 5 years or so and I've ran it through its paces. I finally broke down and ordered a 60D, 100mm macro, and a 430ex II (Sigma 30mm 1.4 to follow). I like the idea of the stealth messenger bag thread and I'll probably end up going that route for a bag.

I've been lurking around the site for a while now, especially the macro section, and I've seen that everyone kind of has a different and very personalized rig for macro. I've settled on the Manfrotto 330B and my 430ex II for the setup. I was really impressed with LordV's Coke can diffuser, and I do like DIY, but I want a ready-to-go setup. I will be ordering from B&H and it looks like they mainly carry vello stuff which is pretty cheap. They have several softboxes and diffusers to choose from. I'll lean on everyone else's expertise to help me pick one out. I thought this (external link) was a good place to start. Thoughts?

I have a decent understanding of some things, but I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions along the way. Thanks ahead of time, and sorry for the longwinded post. ;-)a

flickr (external link)
60D, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 USM macro, 430EX II, Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ 804RC2 head

Snowyman
Goldmember
3,962 posts
Gallery: 428 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 31, 2012 03:17 |  #2

Hi CJ

I haven't got a lot of time at the moment so I will just wade in with what I know about soft boxes.

Manufacturers soft boxes and diffusers work well on large subjects, people, cats etc. No manufacturer that I know of has given any serious consideration to macro photography. Sounds weird saying it but I am pretty sure it is a fact.

That means any softbox you get will very quickly reveal itself to you as unfit for purpose. You want to get the flash as close to your subject as possible. A large softbox can offer better diffusion but if it pushes the flash bulb further from the subject, this will produce longer flash duration. The longer the duration the greater the risk of motion blur (Macro enemy #1).

Snowy's Gear
Deviant Art (external link)
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

cave ­ drane
21 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 31, 2012 10:26 as a reply to  @ Snowyman's post |  #3

it's funny that one can spend hundreds of dollars on flash equipment and a $2 homemade addition/ modification will make it priceless. I think homemade diffusing and other light alterations are necessary for getting optimal performance out of a piece of lighting gear for macro shots. Starting with nice gear can make it easier, but I get Amazing results with my mp-e 65 using a homemade "snoot-diffuser" with a papertowl taped to some tin foil wrapped around my pop-up flash. I'd be aprehensive to buy diffuser products for taking macro, unless the intention is to modify it.

550D; EF 100mm f/2.8; MP-E 65mm; MT-24EX; some homemade diffusers.

C.J. ­ Chiasson
THREAD ­ STARTER
174 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 31, 2012 14:12 |  #4

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll get this kit just to get me going. It's a strong base that I can build off of. I don't mind modifying stuff. At least it's inexpensive, so I wont mind taking a knife and scissors to it if needed.

flickr (external link)
60D, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 USM macro, 430EX II, Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ 804RC2 head

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,278 views & 0 likes for this thread
An Introduction and an Opinion
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.