Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 31 Aug 2012 (Friday) 07:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Managing your files CANONMSC

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 31, 2012 07:35 |  #1

Hello all, this is more of a confirmation that I am doing it right or not.

I have as SX40 HS. And I managed my photos according to dates. Therefore I have multiple folders with different dates. On the original SD card, there is also another folder called CANONMSC. I gather this is where the infos on photos taken are stored.

When I transfer my folders to an external HDD. I copy folder 100_0830 folder then go to the CANONMSC folder and also include the M0100.CTG file into the 100_0830 folder.

Is this right?

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 31, 2012 20:40 |  #2

I'm pretty sure you do not have to do anything with the contents of CANONMSC. Canon says this folder "contains a file allowing the camera to manage the images in the DCIM folder", or something like that. The image files you transfer from the DCIM\NNN_NNNN folders are self-contained and complete - that is all you need.

Canajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 14, 2012 10:50 |  #3

lar55 wrote in post #14933008 (external link)
I'm pretty sure you do not have to do anything with the contents of CANONMSC. Canon says this folder "contains a file allowing the camera to manage the images in the DCIM folder", or something like that. The image files you transfer from the DCIM\NNN_NNNN folders are self-contained and complete - that is all you need.

Sorry for the late reply. I was concern on what was stored under the CTG extension. But I think I got it now. It is nothing to do with the settings on how you shoot an image. ie. creative, pano, videos, etc. In conclusion, I can now move/rename my daily folders without including the CTG files.

This is the closest I am willing to believe:;)
"Catalog index file created on Canon digital cameras; stored in the CANONMSC folder and corresponds to other folders saved on the memory card; i.e. "382.CTG" contains information about images in the folder "382CANON." (external link)
CTG files contain information about the number of images stored in each folder on the memory card (typically up to 99). They should not be manually opened or edited by the user. The camera will automatically delete the CTG files when the corresponding images are erased." (external link)

"The CTG files are information files about each of folders; generally, a new folder is created for the date photos are taken. Some folders might have 4 pictures, and another one have 96 pics, depending on how many photos you took on that particular date. So in a way, its dependent on the memory card space, since you can only get a certain number of pics on a card. But the CTG files are associated with each folder on the card, not with the available total space on the card." (external link)

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,361 views & 0 likes for this thread
Managing your files CANONMSC
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.