Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 31 Aug 2012 (Friday) 12:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best place to have photos printed...

antrobus
123 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 31, 2012 12:16 |  #1

Where is the best place to get your photos printed in a variety of sizes, from the small
6 x 4, to the large a3 and a2 prints? Looking for a place that provides good quality, good
Prices and good overall service. Anybody have any ideas?

Steve
Motorsport and portrait photographer
Gripped 7d, 550d, 18-55mm, 70-200mm f4 L
http://www.antrobuspho​tography.com (external link)

sponsored links
Oeijur
77 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 31, 2012 19:11 |  #2

I'd like to know a good place to print my photos also. I've tried 3 different places with variable results.

1) Costco - cheap but pictures are flat. Good for just snapshots
2) Aspen Creek Photo - They have several different types of Fuji paper to print on. Pictures seemed a little dark to me, but that might be the nature of reflective light (photos) vs. projected light (monitor). Also I chose not to have them adjust my images, so next time I might let them adjust my images so that they might come out brighter.
3) Ritz Photo - They print on Kodak Metallic (I think). Again, images were darker than expected, and they didn't have an option to further process the files before printing.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 31, 2012 19:26 |  #3

Oeijur wrote in post #14932766 (external link)
I'd like to know a good place to print my photos also. I've tried 3 different places with variable results.

you mention prints coming out dark. Is your computer screen calibrated for brightness, contrast, and colors? I'm guessing it is not.

By default a computer screen will be brighter and contrastier than it should be. This results in the user making their photos "darker" to look good on their screen. Essentially you are not viewing your photo files at the proper brightness.

calibration devices cost as little as $75.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 31, 2012 19:40 |  #4

In the UK I've used photobox and been quite pleased. Now I tend to use adoramapix and they haven't disappointed.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 31, 2012 19:40 |  #5

Had some prints done at Costco, and I'm generally happy with them. It's nothing that I want to expound about, but it was good enough for what I used it for.

Also, I just make sure to uncheck/not check the color calibration box. Messed up my photos big time, especially the one at 16 x 20". :(

EDIT: On that note and in this case, has anyone printed through SmugMug? :D

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 31, 2012 21:14 |  #6

The OP is in the UK. Getting Your Photos Printed...(U.K.)

Paolo.Leviste wrote in post #14932838 (external link)
Had some prints done at Costco, and I'm generally happy with them. It's nothing that I want to expound about, but it was good enough for what I used it for.

Also, I just make sure to uncheck/not check the color calibration box. Messed up my photos big time, especially the one at 16 x 20". :(

Each Costco has their own printer profile, & it's updated once a year.
I've had great prints from mine.
Costco, Adorama Pix, MPix?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

PUREBRAD
417 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 01, 2012 00:29 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #7

OP is in the UK guys. I doubt he wants to pay for international shipping.

50D / 28-1.8 / 100-2.8L / 200-2.8L / YN565Ex

Oeijur
77 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 01, 2012 02:06 |  #8

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #14932805 (external link)
you mention prints coming out dark. Is your computer screen calibrated for brightness, contrast, and colors? I'm guessing it is not.

By default a computer screen will be brighter and contrastier than it should be. This results in the user making their photos "darker" to look good on their screen. Essentially you are not viewing your photo files at the proper brightness.

calibration devices cost as little as $75.

I thought Calibration was useful only if you print your own pictures with a personal printer calibrated to your monitor. Will they work if you send your photos out to be printed by somebody else?

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Sep 01, 2012 06:41 |  #9

Oeijur wrote in post #14933935 (external link)
I thought Calibration was useful only if you print your own pictures with a personal printer calibrated to your monitor. Will they work if you send your photos out to be printed by somebody else?

Calibration of your own monitor allows you to produce images that have the colors represented by standard numbers. Thus, when you have the images printed by a service that has their printer calibrated properly, the prints will look very close to what you saw on your calibrated monitor.

Some printing services (typically printing machines at retail stores) do not have their printers properly calibrated and thus the results from them are less than stellar. Locally, a drug store chain has produces pretty poor prints for me while the local Costco store has produced very satisfactory prints for me.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 01, 2012 07:56 |  #10

SkipD wrote in post #14934264 (external link)

Some printing services (typically printing machines at retail stores) do not have their printers properly calibrated and thus the results from them are less than stellar. Locally, a drug store chain has produces pretty poor prints for me while the local Costco store has produced very satisfactory prints for me.

I once had a print made at Walmart. When I picked it up an hour later, I realized that I needed another one. The density & color of the 2nd one was WAY different from the first one, & I've never been back there.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 01, 2012 08:52 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Best and good price usually don't go hand in hand.

flickr (external link)
Why are there so many dumb people in this world?

antrobus
THREAD ­ STARTER
123 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 01, 2012 09:37 |  #12

Is there any places in the uk that people would recommend?

Steve
Motorsport and portrait photographer
Gripped 7d, 550d, 18-55mm, 70-200mm f4 L
http://www.antrobuspho​tography.com (external link)

Keith_D
306 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 01, 2012 09:47 |  #13

I get my photos printed at a smallish lab in NJ called Fine Art Color Lab. Very professional and some of the best prints I have had. Highly recommended. You can submit your prints online with their software. I find it a little confusing, but since I live/lived about 15min from them, I just drop off a cd.

http://fineartcolorlab​.com/ (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 02, 2012 21:34 |  #14

Oeijur wrote in post #14933935 (external link)

Calibrating your screen to standard brightness, contrast, and color is so that a printer which is set to print default color will print as you are seeing it on your screen. Calibrating your screen is not at all linked to your home printer.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 03, 2012 18:14 |  #15

SkipD wrote in post #14934264 (external link)
the local Costco store has produced very satisfactory prints for me.

I've also got good print results from Costco

sponsored links

5,023 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best place to have photos printed...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.