Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 31 Aug 2012 (Friday) 22:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So how do yo do it? (Strobed Football)

Station15
118 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 31, 2012 22:11 |  #1

I see a lot of threads that have daytime football pictures and they are great looking. I rarely see any night time games and where I live, it gets dark pretty quick. I'm still getting used to using a strobe to light up my shots and some turned out good ("some" as in about 5 or 6 out of 240 strobed football photos). I also learned that I should slow down my autofocus tracker as there is a lot of movement going on.

So I was wondering, what are your settings when you do strobed football?
The Canon 1D Mark II ISO standard isn't that good so I kept my ISO around 640-1250. My usual shutter speed was 250 of course and my aperture ranged from 3.5 to 2.8. Flash: Canon 550EX set to manual 1/4, mounted below my lens. Here are my shots:

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/2SSdv.jpg

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/u2JEu.jpg

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/CVlQX.jpg

And here are 2 non-strobed photos shot before the sun dipped below the treeline. I know they are a tight crop, it's my first time shooting football with a 400mm.

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/67WLw.jpg

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/MyuCx.jpg

This was a scrimmage game so yes there is a lot of shot bias.

Canon EOS 1D Mark III | Canon EOS 1D Mark II | Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L | Canon 400mm f2.8 L | Canon EF 17-40mm f4 L

sponsored links
jsvphoto
789 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 31, 2012 22:45 |  #2

Strobes aren't allowed at the high school venues I shoot (for any sport). So you rent a 300mm F2.8 lens, crank up the ISO, use a monopod, and practice as much as you can... Shooting daytime would be SO much easier :(

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 01, 2012 09:16 |  #3

these are great shots, 1,2 and 3 are my favorites

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,430 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 01, 2012 09:43 |  #4

strobes aren't banned for football, we have discussed it so many times. I was going to go to my first night game last night but got lazy. Anyways you have some nice shots. I also shoot with 1dmk2 and used 1/320, ISO800, f2.8 or f4 with flash on 1/4 power. Even eTTL works.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 01, 2012 11:53 |  #5

bobbyz wrote in post #14934659 (external link)
strobes aren't banned for football, we have discussed it so many times. I was going to go to my first night game last night but got lazy. Anyways you have some nice shots. I also shoot with 1dmk2 and used 1/320, ISO800, f2.8 or f4 with flash on 1/4 power. Even eTTL works.

You know this for certain? Every town and principality across this great nation of ours? Flash has NEVER been allowed at any sporting event I've shot. Popping a flash off in a player's face DURING the game is not cool and it's also not allowed. At least around here.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,430 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 01, 2012 12:30 |  #6

elrey2375 wrote in post #14935036 (external link)
You know this for certain? Every town and principality across this great nation of ours? Flash has NEVER been allowed at any sporting event I've shot. Popping a flash off in a player's face DURING the game is not cool and it's also not allowed. At least around here.

Read the old threads man.:) Or show me rules/guildelines where it says flash is not allowed for high school football. Every yr we go through same things.

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 01, 2012 13:01 |  #7

bobbyz wrote in post #14935145 (external link)
Read the old threads man.:) Or show me rules/guildelines where it says flash is not allowed for high school football. Every yr we go through same things.

Exactly right.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=375847

MaxPreps has galleries which include some flashed shots by the thousands.

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

J.Napier
886 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 01, 2012 15:01 |  #8

elrey,
Are you in Ohio? Cant remeber. While its always at the descrection of the officals I suppose, but there are plenty of Maxpreps photogs in almost all states using flash. I have yet to talk to any of the atheletes that ever noticed the flash going off. The only sport I have ran into is Vollyball for whatever reason. If it is used properly I doubt they would notice as well, Phil has many shots that proof it can be done correctly.

Jeff
Gear List
www.jni-ss.com / (external link)Blog (external link)
Sportshooterpage (external link) / Maxpreps (external link)
Facebook  (external link)/

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 01, 2012 16:14 |  #9

I've never seen anyone around here using flash. I have a personal disdain for the way it looks.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 01, 2012 19:42 |  #10

Flash depends on the school, it's the AD or coaches decision most of the time. I'd let the local newspaper guy shoot our games with flash (volleyball btw), but anyone else no flash allowed - why the different rule you may ask, well the newspaper guy could come into a game and knew how to use it and not get noticed while others would show up and blast it away and be distracting. There's no rule against the flash in the national handbook, but some leagues do have it, VERY dependent where you live and what sport.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,430 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 01, 2012 20:31 |  #11

elrey2375 wrote in post #14935728 (external link)
I've never seen anyone around here using flash. I have a personal disdain for the way it looks.

So #2 shot looks bad. To me it looks lot better than any non flashed shot.

Now #3 is typical problem with flash on monopod below the lens. Those ghost shadows which I don't like. It would be ideal to have two flashes one above and one below but it gets cumbersome.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,430 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 01, 2012 20:37 |  #12

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #14936193 (external link)
Flash depends on the school, it's the AD or coaches decision most of the time. I'd let the local newspaper guy shoot our games with flash (volleyball btw), but anyone else no flash allowed - why the different rule you may ask, well the newspaper guy could come into a game and knew how to use it and not get noticed while others would show up and blast it away and be distracting. There's no rule against the flash in the national handbook, but some leagues do have it, VERY dependent where you live and what sport.

I have yet to see an AD at the football game here in CA. Maxpreps is big here and no issue with flashed football as far as I know. VB is the only one where flash is an issue. Gynamastics also. I have seen so strobed cheer where I would think flash could be an issue.

What is NBA ambient? If they could get nice shots with latest 1dx they wouldn't strobe it in those nice areanas.

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 02, 2012 00:51 |  #13

bobbyz wrote in post #14936311 (external link)
I have yet to see an AD at the football game here in CA. Maxpreps is big here and no issue with flashed football as far as I know. VB is the only one where flash is an issue. Gynamastics also. I have seen so strobed cheer where I would think flash could be an issue.

What is NBA ambient? If they could get nice shots with latest 1dx they wouldn't strobe it in those nice areanas.

Again, it's dependent on where you are at - around here the AD's are always at the football games as it's the big thing on Friday or Saturday and often at smaller schools they are also the supervisor. Doesn't matter if they are there or not because any professional that knows the AD doesn't want flash is not going to use it. Do you know who the AD is at all games you shoot? I know a good chunk in two leagues but in others no clue, so how would you know if they are there or not unless they approach you? Simple fact is it's dependent on them and the coach as they make the rules for their games in most circumstances.

As for the NBA and NHL, which both have team guys using strobes, you have to remember these teams use those images as billboards and other marketing material and strobes offer better than the 1dx is providing (lower ISO, less noise, brighter, true colors, etc). They're not doing a decent photo for the paper where all they need is a "nice shot", like all the news guys are getting with the x or D4 Nikon, different circumstances and different needs. I'm not sure at all what this has to do with anything about high schools and them having the right to make up their own rules by any stretch?

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 02, 2012 10:37 |  #14

no flashes here

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

jsvphoto
789 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 04, 2012 19:05 |  #15

Not sure how you can speak so boldly for all venues. The simple fact is that flash is NOT ALLOWED at the high schools where I shoot. I have personally spoken with the athletic director, and he has told me in no uncertain terms that it is not allowed. If I wish to break the rules, I'll be invited to leave an not return.

If you're allowed to use them in your area, and you can do so to good effect, then by all means do so. Only makes sense to explore all options available...

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

sponsored links

6,192 views & 0 likes for this thread
So how do yo do it? (Strobed Football)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.