Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 31 Aug 2012 (Friday) 22:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So how do yo do it? (Strobed Football)

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 11, 2012 16:50 |  #31

thanks dude
I will
that helps

I love the #4 photo

great job

thats the kind of stuff I want

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

sponsored links
clarence
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 11, 2012 22:21 |  #32

AZAlphaDog wrote in post #14976837 (external link)
With the ISO set that high, can you even get these passed in MaxPreps? or are you not submitting them to MaxPreps and therefore don't care?

Yes, MP will accept HSS shots but proper exposure, lack of motion blur and ghosting, and of course perfect focus are still critical. No red eye and no plasticky NR... a tiny touch of NR in LR4 helps. I still limit myself to ISO 3200 on the 1D3 and 6400 on the 5D3.

Of course YMMV and your photo editor will make it very clear if your lighting technique isn't sufficient.

My early attempts with standard Canon HSS (back with a 1D2) weren't cutting it. 1D4 and 5D3 have no problem with ISO 3200. HSS helps color and fills shadows.

PW flex/mini hypersync really makes a significant improvement over standard HSS. And multiple flashes give me the extra range needed to reach as far as my teles can sufficiently fill the frame. Plus they allow me to shoot 3 consecutive shots. I usually lower the frame rate to 3fps and I have no problem taking 3 consecutive flashed shots in a second.

I love your xsync flashed shots, so I wouldn't recommend abandoning your technique. I can tell you're dancing as close to ambient as you can (at the risk of ghosting), but it works well. But my keeper rate and final output at xsync was dismal (and mentally exhausting) compared to what I end up with from multi-speedlite hypersync.

For Sale: 1D, T1i, 800mm, 600mm

5D3, 1D4, 7D, 600/4L, 200/1.8L, Sigmonster 300-800mm, 80-200/2.8L MDP, 28-70/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 12-24mm, (4) 550EXs, (4) WL strobes, PW MiniTT1/FlexTT5s/AC3/A​C9s
LoCo-Photo.com (external link)

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 11, 2012 22:46 |  #33

thanks Clarence
your the best

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 12, 2012 01:31 |  #34

clarence wrote in post #14979508 (external link)
Yes, MP will accept HSS shots but proper exposure, lack of motion blur and ghosting, and of course perfect focus are still critical. No red eye and no plasticky NR... a tiny touch of NR in LR4 helps. I still limit myself to ISO 3200 on the 1D3 and 6400 on the 5D3.

Of course YMMV and your photo editor will make it very clear if your lighting technique isn't sufficient.

My early attempts with standard Canon HSS (back with a 1D2) weren't cutting it. 1D4 and 5D3 have no problem with ISO 3200. HSS helps color and fills shadows.

PW flex/mini hypersync really makes a significant improvement over standard HSS. And multiple flashes give me the extra range needed to reach as far as my teles can sufficiently fill the frame. Plus they allow me to shoot 3 consecutive shots. I usually lower the frame rate to 3fps and I have no problem taking 3 consecutive flashed shots in a second.

I love your xsync flashed shots, so I wouldn't recommend abandoning your technique. I can tell you're dancing as close to ambient as you can (at the risk of ghosting), but it works well. But my keeper rate and final output at xsync was dismal (and mentally exhausting) compared to what I end up with from multi-speedlite hypersync.

I don't even push my ISO as high a 3200 for the ambient stuff I shoot, so the thought of having to shoot that high of an ISO AND having to use (3) 580EX II flashes and the associated flash triggers to make the entire system work with high-speed sync has me a bit baffled. If it works for you, more power to you. I tried high-speed sync on a few of my very early games and just couldn't get the flash power to make it work (which I'm guessing is the reason you are using 3 flashes).

I also experimented with manual flash as opposed to using ETTL II and couldn't seem to adjust to making that work so I just stick with ETTL II and a single flash with a cord and don't have the expense of pocket wizards.

I still don't really like the "look" of flashed football (although some of the stuff Danny has posted in the past looked really good, but no matter how hard I try, I can't figure out how to duplicate the "look" he gets) So I just go with no stress and try to have fun, if I get good shots I'll submit them but I don't get all worked up if I have an "off" night or game and don't get enough good stuff to submit anything at all.

DOUG JAMES | PHOTO PRODUCTIONS (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link)

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 12, 2012 20:51 |  #35

Anytime you can see shadows on the turf from the stadium lights you are mixing a bit too much ambient for a shutter sync speed of 1/250 or 1/200. HSS is the way to go using this technique. When I shoot flashed ftbl I am usually at ISO 500, 1/250, f2.8, and ETTL on the 580EXII.
Clarance should give some thought to a better beamer instead of 3 flashes.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

clarence
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 12, 2012 21:09 |  #36

ChunkyDA wrote in post #14983566 (external link)
Clarance should give some thought to a better beamer instead of 3 flashes.

I've got a better beamer and I've used it for football. And I've used it at xsync and with HSS. Definitely helps with reach, but not with 3 consecutive shots. And you still get the black cave background and an obvious hard flash effect on the center subject.

For Sale: 1D, T1i, 800mm, 600mm

5D3, 1D4, 7D, 600/4L, 200/1.8L, Sigmonster 300-800mm, 80-200/2.8L MDP, 28-70/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 12-24mm, (4) 550EXs, (4) WL strobes, PW MiniTT1/FlexTT5s/AC3/A​C9s
LoCo-Photo.com (external link)

Rudy2112
422 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 17, 2012 20:18 |  #37

Very nice shots, Number 2 is awesome

Gear List- 7D (gripped), 100-400 4.5-5.6 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS II 85 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, 430exII Website- http://daviddoylephoto​graphy.zenfolio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

6,183 views & 0 likes for this thread
So how do yo do it? (Strobed Football)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.