Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Sep 2012 (Monday) 00:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Choice between Sigma and Canon

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 03, 2012 00:03 |  #1

I really want to buy the 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 lens (or 120-400mm- Sigma), but the difference between the Canon L lens and the Sigma is 2:1. Both lenses have OS and the sigma has HSM. I have $ for the Sigma, and not for the Canon, if I want the Canon I would have to wait 6 months to a year to save the $. Would I be wrong buying the Sigma? Thanks

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,354 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 03, 2012 00:08 |  #2

There is no right or wrong. Each lens has it's advantages and disadvantages. The 100-400 has faster AF and better IQ, the Siggy is cheaper and has more reach. What's more important?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 03, 2012 00:56 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I had the same problem about 6 months ago. I went with the 100-400L, mainly for IQ at 400 & f/5.6. I like it so far, with the exception of the mediocre IS system.

Gear List

SkyBaby
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 03, 2012 01:10 |  #4

I'm going with the sigma 120-400mm myself as the sigma is half the price and performs well. At least some copies do. I'm buying used off my local Craigslist (or through here) so I can make sure to get a good copy. Although, have you considered a used canon 100-400?

~Kira~
Check out my Flickr for lots of aviation and nature related photography: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/skys_flickr/
Check out my Facebook fan page for my best of the best imagery. Give it a thumbs up if you like what you see! https://www.facebook.c​om/PhotographybyKiraAn​dreola (external link)

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 03, 2012 01:28 |  #5

If you need a lens with that reach now, get the Sigma. If you find it does the job you need, keep it. If not, hang on to it and save the money while using the Sigma, then sell it down the road and get the Canon.

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 03, 2012 05:18 |  #6

That Sigma is awesome and there are very few "bad copies" on that lens. Get it and shoot with it. If you get it from some place like Adorama and you find it isn't what you want, they would let you return it. I suspect that most likely, once you have it on your camera you won't find the difference worth spending when you could use that money for yet another lens, speedlight(s), and other things that will make a larger impact on your work.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 03, 2012 07:30 |  #7

Pepe Guitarra wrote in post #14940483 (external link)
I really want to buy the 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 lens (or 120-400mm- Sigma), but the difference between the Canon L lens and the Sigma is 2:1. Both lenses have OS and the sigma has HSM. I have $ for the Sigma, and not for the Canon, if I want the Canon I would have to wait 6 months to a year to save the $. Would I be wrong buying the Sigma? Thanks

From your statements, I think you will always wonder if you don't go Canon.

gjl711 wrote in post #14940495 (external link)
There is no right or wrong. Each lens has it's advantages and disadvantages. The 100-400 has faster AF and better IQ, the Siggy is cheaper and has more reach. What's more important?

The Sigma has less reach on the wide end, and the same at the long end. The advantages the Sigma has are price and better image stabilizing features (about two stops better). There is one(two) other advantage(s) to Canon is build quality (potential resale value). [If the OP was talking about the Sigma 150-500, then you would be right.]

(For me) If those were my choices, I'd wait and get the Canon. Only if you truly can't afford to wait (money or must have the reach now) would I then go with the Sigma. If you choice was the either the Sigma 50-500 or Sigma 150-500, it would be a harder decision.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 03, 2012 07:34 |  #8

jimewall wrote in post #14941246 (external link)
(For me) If those were my choices, I'd wait and get the Canon. Only if you truly can't afford to wait (money or must have the reach now) would I then go with the Sigma. If you choice was the either the Sigma 50-500 or Sigma 150-500, it would be a harder decision.

I agree, do some more research but if you can wait you would get better resolution, "IQ", AF, etc. with the 100-400

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,354 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 03, 2012 08:00 |  #9

I was assuming it was one of the either the 150-500 or 50-500.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

1,464 views & 0 likes for this thread
Choice between Sigma and Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.