Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 06 Sep 2012 (Thursday) 03:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Paper choice

camerart
33 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 06, 2012 03:05 |  #1

Hi,

I would like to try some home printing. I have an HP 3050A Inkjet printer, and would like to know if there is much difference in choice of printing paper?

I've read that semi gloss is a good choice?

Does anyone recommend a particular paper also supplier/

Cheers, Camerart.

sponsored links
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 06, 2012 03:16 |  #2

Camerart,

My immediate advise is to stick to paper your printer knows at first. HP papers will have profiles already available.

If you try other manufacturers papers later, then you will need to track down the profiles for your printer. Which pretty much rules out Canon and Epson papers. I use a particular Hahnemuhle paper and the printer profiles are available on line.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

camerart
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 06, 2012 03:30 |  #3

Richard,

I checked Hahnemuhle paper, and for my first practicing it's a bit pricey, but I'll check again if I have something worthwhile to print.

I'm just changing over from the chemical process and have lots of paper/film left over, pity really.

Thanks,
Camerart.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 06, 2012 05:49 |  #4

camerart wrote in post #14954145 (external link)
Richard,

I checked Hahnemuhle paper, and for my first practicing it's a bit pricey, but I'll check again if I have something worthwhile to print.

I'm just changing over from the chemical process and have lots of paper/film left over, pity really.

Thanks,
Camerart.

I know they are not cheap! I only used it as an example. HP surely do a range of papers? A lot of manufacturers do sample packs at reasonable prices and you might even be lucky enough to get these free, I did with Hahnemuhle.

You are not alone, I have the bottom of our fridge full of Velvia and Provia!

Richard

camerart
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 06, 2012 08:11 |  #5

Lowner wrote in post #14954347 (external link)
You are not alone, I have the bottom of our fridge full of Velvia and Provia!

My son just gave a me a pack of Canon 170gm matt paper. I gave that a try, with no setting up apart from changing settings to Photo paper and best quality. This gave a flat, low contrast image.

Ever the experimenter, I then tried chemical photo paper, with waist of time results, till I tried the reverse side. This gave a surprisingly detailed, good contrast image with good natural colours. (Ilford Ilfrobrom Galleria3)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 06, 2012 10:52 |  #6

The big problem with paper from another printer maker is that you will need to pay someone to produce a printer profile for the paper. Canon are never going to worry about how it works on an HP printer. So its no doubt perfectly good paper, but not suitable as it stands for your machine.

Richard

camerart
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 06, 2012 12:28 |  #7

Lowner wrote in post #14955259 (external link)
The big problem with paper from another printer maker is that you will need to pay someone to produce a printer profile for the paper. Canon are never going to worry about how it works on an HP printer. So its no doubt perfectly good paper, but not suitable as it stands for your machine.

Are you saying that if I had the printer profile for the Canon paper on my printer (Assuming it is the same quality) it would give similar results to HP paper?

I haven't looked into profiles yet, but I'll have a look online.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 06, 2012 12:36 |  #8

Yes. But Canon will not be providing an HP profile any time soon!

Richard

camerart
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 06, 2012 13:39 |  #9

I've searched online and on my computer, but I haven't been able find any fine settings other than paper choice, quality etc, SO FAR.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 06, 2012 14:13 |  #10

search for "printer profiles", also have a root around on this site, there is a mass of information about colour management (thats the posh word for the journey you are just setting out on).

Richard

camerart
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 07, 2012 02:14 |  #11

Lowner wrote in post #14955998 (external link)
search for "printer profiles", also have a root around on this site, there is a mass of information about colour management (thats the posh word for the journey you are just setting out on).

Ok, thanks, Lowner.

Bilderknipser
889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2010

Sep 08, 2012 11:52 |  #12

Printing at home is some very expensive business as well. I have to print 13x19 for school and it adds up fast + all the ink I'm wasting making test prints etc.

Here is what I use:
Ilford Smooth Pearl (external link)
School makes us use Luster paper so this one is a bit cheaper than the Epson Ultra Premium Luster (which is the only other one we're allowed to use).

I have an Epson printer, and you can download the profile for your specific printer on their website (assuming they have your models profile, but there are lots of them).
For my personal work I use InkPress (external link) already pre-cut to 5x7, it's cheap around $12 and the profiles work great.

Hahnemuehle is absolutely amazing paper, but it comes with the corresponding price tag. Bamboo is very nice matte paper, they also have a profile to download that works well.

I'm too lazy often to make my own profiles, I do have a custom one but honestly I prefer the ones I downloaded from the websites.

Carmen
Mom, Veteran, Student
Gear List

camerart
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 08, 2012 13:44 |  #13

Bilderknipser wrote in post #14964092 (external link)
Printing at home is some very expensive business as well. I have to print 13x19 for school and it adds up fast + all the ink I'm wasting making test prints etc.

Here is what I use:
Ilford Smooth Pearl (external link)
School makes us use Luster paper so this one is a bit cheaper than the Epson Ultra Premium Luster (which is the only other one we're allowed to use).

I have an Epson printer, and you can download the profile for your specific printer on their website (assuming they have your models profile, but there are lots of them).
For my personal work I use InkPress (external link) already pre-cut to 5x7, it's cheap around $12 and the profiles work great.

Hahnemuehle is absolutely amazing paper, but it comes with the corresponding price tag. Bamboo is very nice matte paper, they also have a profile to download that works well.

I'm too lazy often to make my own profiles, I do have a custom one but honestly I prefer the ones I downloaded from the websites.

Thanks, lots of good information, Camerart.

sponsored links

1,817 views & 0 likes for this thread
Paper choice
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.