Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Sep 2012 (Friday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Carl Zeiss 135mm f/2 ZE

nightcat
Goldmember
4,513 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 08, 2012 07:10 |  #16

This lens will be fortunate to match the great IQ of the Canon. But there will be folks who will spend over twice as much for the Zeiss and insist it "renders" better. I doubt if the Zeiss will match the MTF chart of the Canon.

sponsored links
n1as
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 08, 2012 07:29 |  #17

I've had several Zeiss lenses (50 f/1.4, 50 f/2, 35 f/2 and 100 f/2) and find manual focus is easier with the longer focal lengths. For shooting static subjects, MF (with an EG-S screen) is pretty easy and pretty accurate. I was scared of it at first, thinking I needed AF, but discovered otherwise once I actually tried it.

I compared my Zeiss 35 f/2 and 35L in a head-to-head shoot out. I found the Zeiss gave slightly better looking images in most (not all) of the real-world shots I did. The difference was subtle but I could see it. So could others. Is the IQ gain of the Zeiss 35 worth the loss of AF? For me, yes. For you, maybe not.

I have high hopes that this new 135 f/2 will out-perform the beloved 135L optically. Zeiss has been really putting out some gems as of late. Their newer lenses, 35 f/1.4 and 25 f/2 have been some of the best in their line. I predict they will sell quite a few of these lenses.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 08, 2012 08:30 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

nightcat wrote in post #14963242 (external link)
This lens will be fortunate to match the great IQ of the Canon. But there will be folks who will spend over twice as much for the Zeiss and insist it "renders" better. I doubt if the Zeiss will match the MTF chart of the Canon.

Really. All other lenses they produce better the Canon equivalent in IQ. Why do you feel this one will not do the same?

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 08, 2012 09:12 |  #19

n1as wrote in post #14963290 (external link)
I've had several Zeiss lenses (50 f/1.4, 50 f/2, 35 f/2 and 100 f/2) and find manual focus is easier with the longer focal lengths. For shooting static subjects, MF (with an EG-S screen) is pretty easy and pretty accurate. I was scared of it at first, thinking I needed AF, but discovered otherwise once I actually tried it.

I compared my Zeiss 35 f/2 and 35L in a head-to-head shoot out. I found the Zeiss gave slightly better looking images in most (not all) of the real-world shots I did. The difference was subtle but I could see it. So could others. Is the IQ gain of the Zeiss 35 worth the loss of AF? For me, yes. For you, maybe not.

I have high hopes that this new 135 f/2 will out-perform the beloved 135L optically. Zeiss has been really putting out some gems as of late. Their newer lenses, 35 f/1.4 and 25 f/2 have been some of the best in their line. I predict they will sell quite a few of these lenses.

You have the point, indeed......Static subjects.....well....n​o all are static and most interesting once....are, in fact, not static at all...

www.lightpilgrim.com (external link) ||1x.com (external link) ||500px.com (external link)

TijmenDal
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 08, 2012 11:52 |  #20

Focusing with a 135mm isn't any problem whatsoever. In theory it should be harder, but you never use it for soemthing close-up. A 35mm is easier to focus (in theory), but you use it for close-up stuff and you end up missing focus much more often.

I want this badly. But then again, I could only afford the box it came in...

//Tijmen
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tijmendalexternal link

Gear

Tony_Stark
THREAD ­ STARTER
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 08, 2012 12:50 |  #21

Timsxsi wrote in post #14962867 (external link)
So if the Zeiss had AF, better image quality and a 2k price tag would you buy one? I think Zeiss would sell alot more lenses if they had AF.

I would absolutely consider it. Zeiss makes a 135 f/1.8 for the Sony mount and it has AF! But its very hard for me to justify owning a Sony SLT camera. The fact that the mirror doesnt move bugs me.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

n1as
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 08, 2012 12:51 |  #22

light_pilgrim wrote in post #14963510 (external link)
You have the point, indeed......Static subjects.....well....n​o all are static and most interesting once....are, in fact, not static at all...

So, let's break down "static subjects" into a bit finer detail.

100% stationary subjects - Scenery and landscapes - Here nothing is moving, or so it seems. The photographer is moving back & forth slightly. If the DOF isn't enough to cover this motion than you'll have a hard time hitting focus with AF or MF.

Nearly stationary subjects - People in portrait situations. Now you have both the camera and the subject moving back and forth a bit. Again, if DOF isn't enough you'll have a hard time with either AF or MF>

Moving subjects - Things in motion (people moving, people running, motorsports). Very rapidly the need for AF becomes apparent. There is almost no way you'll match AF accuracy with a MF system when the subject is moving quickly enough that their motion takes them out of the DOF zone before the shutter can be tripped. Here, only AF will do.

Now, if you add in the difficulty of seeing focus clearly in today's DSLRs and the variability of the AF detection circuit when used with MF lenses, you add a layer of focus error where you can't reliably adjust the MF lens. In this case, live view becomes your friend.

Bottom line is that AF is not a 100% solution to all focusing situations and MF is not always incapable of nailing the focus. It depends on the situation.

IMHO ...

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 08, 2012 13:00 |  #23

Only 2 points from my side:
1. AF can track....so if there is a person in front of me..slightly moving and I move slightly..the AF on 5D MKIII is so exceptional that I almost never missed a focus with 70-200 II. Here are some examples I am talking about (this person did not pose to me): http://www.dylikowski.​com …photography-and-emotions/ (external link)

2. Live view is not my friend at all when I photograph people. It takes forever to hold the camera, go magnify...move to see whether eyes are sharp....and when you do all this, you cannot see the composition and the person moves. Why people are saying that live views is a friend? For landscapes, when you can use a tripod - AGREE....not on the street when you half half a second to catch a moment. It kills the fun of looking through viewfinder and taking the shot.

n1as wrote in post #14964283 (external link)
So, let's break down "static subjects" into a bit finer detail.

100% stationary subjects - Scenery and landscapes - Here nothing is moving, or so it seems. The photographer is moving back & forth slightly. If the DOF isn't enough to cover this motion than you'll have a hard time hitting focus with AF or MF.

Nearly stationary subjects - People in portrait situations. Now you have both the camera and the subject moving back and forth a bit. Again, if DOF isn't enough you'll have a hard time with either AF or MF>

Moving subjects - Things in motion (people moving, people running, motorsports). Very rapidly the need for AF becomes apparent. There is almost no way you'll match AF accuracy with a MF system when the subject is moving quickly enough that their motion takes them out of the DOF zone before the shutter can be tripped. Here, only AF will do.

Now, if you add in the difficulty of seeing focus clearly in today's DSLRs and the variability of the AF detection circuit when used with MF lenses, you add a layer of focus error where you can't reliably adjust the MF lens. In this case, live view becomes your friend.

Bottom line is that AF is not a 100% solution to all focusing situations and MF is not always incapable of nailing the focus. It depends on the situation.

IMHO ...

www.lightpilgrim.com (external link) ||1x.com (external link) ||500px.com (external link)

Canon ­ Bob
Goldmember
2,056 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 08, 2012 16:25 as a reply to  @ light_pilgrim's post |  #24

Zeiss will undoubtably have run their version against the 135L at the prototype stage and decided to go with it. It's hardly likely that they've gone into production with an inferior product at a premium price.

Bob

1Dx2 (2), 5DSR, 1Ds3, 1D4, 5D2(590nm), 5D2(720nm) EF600 EF400 EF300-II EF300 EF200 EF200-II EF180L EF135L EF100 EF85-II EF50L TS-E17/4 TS-E24L-II TS-E45 TS-E90 MP-E65 EF70-200-II EF24-70/2.8-II EF16-35/4 EF8-15/4 EF11-24/4 Zeiss 15/2.8 21/2.8 25/2 28/2 35/1.4 35/2 50/2 85/1.4 100/2 135/2 T/C's L-SC & a WIFE!

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 08, 2012 17:03 |  #25

It's an apochromatic, so that means you get basically zero LoCa. For people unfamilliar with what that means, take a look at the photozone reviews on both the 135L and the Zeiss 2/100. Both are stellar lenses, but this is an area where they fall short.
Compare for example with the complete lack of LoCa on the Sigma 150mm macro and the Voigtländer 125mm 2.5.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

Dimitris
302 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 08, 2012 17:21 |  #26

I think its mainly intended for the Nikon crowd. If some folks from Canon buy it as well then I don't see why not.

http://www.dimitriszer​vas.com/ (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 08, 2012 17:31 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

Always love to shoot with a heavy chunk of glass and metal. However, was MF telephoto lenses ever that popular back in the old days? I generally find that Carl Zeiss lenses aren't that flattering with portrait shots. Too contrasty...

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 08, 2012 17:33 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

light_pilgrim wrote in post #14964316 (external link)
Only 2 points from my side:
1. AF can track....so if there is a person in front of me..slightly moving and I move slightly..the AF on 5D MKIII is so exceptional that I almost never missed a focus with 70-200 II. Here are some examples I am talking about (this person did not pose to me): http://www.dylikowski.​com …photography-and-emotions/ (external link)

2. Live view is not my friend at all when I photograph people. It takes forever to hold the camera, go magnify...move to see whether eyes are sharp....and when you do all this, you cannot see the composition and the person moves. Why people are saying that live views is a friend? For landscapes, when you can use a tripod - AGREE....not on the street when you half half a second to catch a moment. It kills the fun of looking through viewfinder and taking the shot.

+1000 about Liveview and MF lens...:)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 08, 2012 18:38 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

TooManyShots wrote in post #14965086 (external link)

Personally, I don't have any problems focusing my Zeiss glass using a 5d2 and ee-s screen. I find it much easier to focus manually rather than play the pin the red rectangle on what you want in focus game...and then hope it is actually in focus.

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 08, 2012 19:14 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

TooManyShots wrote in post #14965086 (external link)

It all comes down to what you shoot and what you find interesting. I recently purchased the Zeiss 50 MP and MFing is easier than I thought.

This is my first MF only lens and was able to capture this wide open @ f2. I literally took this within minutes with a MF lens ever.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Zeiss 50 MP test shot 3 wide open (external link) by kin2son (external link), on Flickr

100% crop SOOC-
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Zeiss 50 MP 100% Crop (external link) by kin2son (external link), on Flickr

It wasn't hard at all even for portrait and focus confirm is accurate imo. Sure it really isn't meant for moving objects but for portrait session it's definitely doable.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

sponsored links

35,612 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Carl Zeiss 135mm f/2 ZE
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.