Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Sep 2012 (Friday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Carl Zeiss 135mm f/2 ZE

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 08, 2012 19:22 |  #31

Tony_Stark wrote in post #14962822 (external link)
I have always wanted to own a Zeiss MF lens, but with the cost in relation to the AF Canon counter parts very hard to justify. Im not sure the IQ warrants twice the cost. In the end thats what you buy from the lens, IQ.

Zeiss is totally worth the IQ if you don't mind MF. If you really need AF the 135 L is the one to own. I'm planning to pick one of these up bcoz' I can justify the price. ;)

sponsored links
jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 08, 2012 19:25 |  #32

kin2son wrote in post #14965389 (external link)
It all comes down to what you shoot and what you find interesting. I recently purchased the Zeiss 50 MP and MFing is easier than I thought.

This is my first MF only lens and was able to capture this wide open @ f2. I literally took this within minutes with a MF lens ever.

Zeiss 50 MP test shot 3 wide open (external link) by kin2son (external link), on Flickr

100% crop SOOC-

Zeiss 50 MP 100% Crop (external link) by kin2son (external link), on Flickr

It wasn't hard at all even for portrait and focus confirm is accurate imo. Sure it really isn't meant for moving objects but for portrait session it's definitely doable.

I love the 50 MP and the 100 MP. Both are excellent lenses for just about everything including macro. :)

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 08, 2012 19:29 |  #33

jdizzle wrote in post #14965417 (external link)
I'm planning to pick one of these up bcoz' I can justify the price. ;)

If I could justify the price of everything I wanted....well ...hahah! I'm a wealthy rich dude:)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 08, 2012 19:36 |  #34

tmwag wrote in post #14965438 (external link)
If I could justify the price of everything I wanted....well ...hahah! I'm a wealthy rich dude:)

Hehe! I'm about to order the Zeiss 15 ZF.2 and 25 f2 ZF.2. Although at this time, both B&H and Adorama have the 15 ZF out of stock. :)

nightcat
Goldmember
4,513 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 08, 2012 22:50 |  #35

Hogloff wrote in post #14963389 (external link)
Really. All other lenses they produce better the Canon equivalent in IQ. Why do you feel this one will not do the same?

Because the 135mm f2 is one of the 2 or 3 sharpest lenses Canon makes. It is also one of the very few Canon lenses that produces pictures that have a Zeiss look. The MTF chart would explain why. Zeiss lenses are very impressive, but if they produce a 135mm that simply matches the Canon, it will be a great lens. If it exceeds the IQ of the Canon, it may be one of the greatest lesnes ever made.

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 09, 2012 00:05 |  #36

Do you, guys,think that you could consistently (time and time again) nailing focus with this Zeiss lens and 1Dx or 5D MKIII bodies in a situation where people move all the time, just like in this example:
http://www.dylikowski.​com …photography-and-emotions/ (external link)

There is not a single second that this lady stood still, yet....all shots had eyes perfectly in focus thanks to the phenomenal AF system.

You think you can do it with Zeiss MF?

www.lightpilgrim.com (external link) ||1x.com (external link) ||500px.com (external link)

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 09, 2012 00:08 |  #37

Of course you can. It all depends on how far your ambitions go. For this specific photograph, the person was posing to you. You could take a tripod, use live view and definitely nail the focus.

You did not think about the composition here because you just put the person in the center of the frame. When you have an assignment where you need to do a professional job and you know that you do not have time to use love view, you need to rely on your eyes and be sure that you nail the focus all the time, you think you can still do it?

kin2son wrote in post #14965389 (external link)
It all comes down to what you shoot and what you find interesting. I recently purchased the Zeiss 50 MP and MFing is easier than I thought.

This is my first MF only lens and was able to capture this wide open @ f2. I literally took this within minutes with a MF lens ever.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Zeiss 50 MP test shot 3 wide open (external link) by kin2son (external link), on Flickr

100% crop SOOC-
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Zeiss 50 MP 100% Crop (external link) by kin2son (external link), on Flickr

It wasn't hard at all even for portrait and focus confirm is accurate imo. Sure it really isn't meant for moving objects but for portrait session it's definitely doable.

www.lightpilgrim.com (external link) ||1x.com (external link) ||500px.com (external link)

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 09, 2012 00:56 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

light_pilgrim wrote in post #14966340 (external link)
Of course you can. It all depends on how far your ambitions go. For this specific photograph, the person was posing to you. You could take a tripod, use live view and definitely nail the focus.

That's not the point. Zeiss is not meant for street photography (especially when your intended subject are people that won't stop for you).

It's all about using the right lens for the right job....No one claims that it's good for moving objects, BUT you can certainly nail focus in a controlled portrait session without the use of liveview.

It all comes down to what you are trying to achieve. some styles of photography MF actually makes it more engaging and works like a charm, while others require blistering fast and accurate AF (such as sports photography).

Btw, it was a test shot and I shot that handheld using the viewfinder and focus confirm beep only. It wasn't hard at all and it's accurate enough for me. Never feel the need to use liveview.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 09, 2012 01:00 |  #39

With this I agree...

kin2son wrote in post #14966450 (external link)
Zeiss is not meant for street photography (especially when your intended subject are people that won't stop for you).

You need to react immediately when you see something interesting....you do not have time for Live View:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 09, 2012 01:09 |  #40
bannedPermanent ban

light_pilgrim wrote in post #14966455 (external link)
With this I agree...

You need to react immediately when you see something interesting....you do not have time for liveview

I agree 110%.

Look, you love your street photography, therefore you need a lens that AF, fair point. Whilst others use their Zeiss to shoot other things that don't move or moving predictably.

Different horses for different courses, that's all is it ;)

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 09, 2012 01:28 |  #41

kin2son wrote in post #14966480 (external link)
I agree 110%.

Look, you love your street photography, therefore you need a lens that AF, fair point. Whilst others use their Zeiss to shoot other things that don't move or moving predictably.

Different horses for different courses, that's all is it ;)

Not only street photography I love. You can check the website:-)

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 09, 2012 01:51 |  #42
bannedPermanent ban

light_pilgrim wrote in post #14966532 (external link)
Not only street photography I love. You can check the website:-)

One word - PRO!!!

I think I should stop commenting as you definitely know what you are doing :oops:

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 09, 2012 08:49 as a reply to  @ kin2son's post |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

What? Street photography and MF lens.....??? Ever heard of Leica and Rangfinder??? It is called focus by scale. Sure, you can shoot street photography with a MF.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 09, 2012 09:23 |  #44

TooManyShots wrote in post #14967238 (external link)
What? Street photography and MF lens.....??? Ever heard of Leica and Rangfinder??? It is called focus by scale. Sure, you can shoot street photography with a MF.

But in this case not just the lens is MF, the camera itself is designed for MF....which is not the case with 1Dx and 5D MKIII. Are we talking about using this Zeiss lens on a range finder or 5D MKIII and the likes?

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 09, 2012 11:44 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

light_pilgrim wrote in post #14967364 (external link)
But in this case not just the lens is MF, the camera itself is designed for MF....which is not the case with 1Dx and 5D MKIII. Are we talking about using this Zeiss lens on a range finder or 5D MKIII and the likes?

I use Zeiss glass on a 5d2 all the time. What's the issue?

sponsored links

35,620 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Carl Zeiss 135mm f/2 ZE
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.