Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Sep 2012 (Saturday) 00:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Quick Canon 430EX II Pilot Light Question

xeodragon
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 08, 2012 00:07 |  #1

Hi everyone!

Sorry just had a quick question - I've noticed that when I turn on my Canon Speedlight 430EX II and the pilot light is on, it doesn't always shoot a test flash. It's only after a few presses of the pilot light that it'll start working. Just wanted to see if this was normal? Thanks in advance!

sponsored links
Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 08, 2012 00:21 |  #2

If by working you mean flashing then your fine. If the pilot light is solid then that means the flash fully charged and is ready for use. Mine flash turns on and shortly there after my pilot light is on and constant. I dont shoot in rapid succession with flash so I've never had it in charging (flashing) when I was looking.

Adam - Upstate NY:

xeodragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 08, 2012 03:50 |  #3

Nature Nut wrote in post #14962662 (external link)
If by working you mean flashing then your fine. If the pilot light is solid then that means the flash fully charged and is ready for use. Mine flash turns on and shortly there after my pilot light is on and constant. I dont shoot in rapid succession with flash so I've never had it in charging (flashing) when I was looking.

Thanks for your reply Nature Nut! What happens is I turn on my flash, my pilot light goes on, and when I want to do a "test flash" using the pilot light by pressing it, nothing happens. It's only after I keep pressing the pilot light that after maybe 3 seconds does it actually fire a "test flash". Then it'll "test flash" whenever I press the pilot light. Just wondering if that was normal.

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 08, 2012 10:12 |  #4

It takes a few seconds to charge up initially, then after that you should be able to use the pilot button for the test flash at leisure with only a quick press. The only thing I might suspect in lieu of a faulty button is maybe the batteries. I run eeneloops myself in mine so I don't know how regular batteries would respond.

Adam - Upstate NY:

xeodragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 08, 2012 12:39 |  #5

Nature Nut wrote in post #14963743 (external link)
It takes a few seconds to charge up initially, then after that you should be able to use the pilot button for the test flash at leisure with only a quick press. The only thing I might suspect in lieu of a faulty button is maybe the batteries. I run eeneloops myself in mine so I don't know how regular batteries would respond.

I'll double check mine, thanks!

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 13, 2012 04:26 |  #6

xeodragon wrote in post #14964247 (external link)
I'll double check mine, thanks!

I think I did read a critisism somewhere of the 430EXII that you have to press the red illuminated button quite firmly to get the test flash. Mine is OK but I wouldn't say it was perfectly easy. Try pressing it very 'definitely' and see if it fires.
Personally I wasnn't too bothered as I test fire it off the camera test button.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,094 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 13, 2012 07:32 as a reply to  @ Submariner's post |  #7

The flash' test fire button doesn't work until enough time has passed since you half-pressed the trigger button last time. Normally six seconds later it will be OK, which probably is when you have pressed the pilot light/test switch three times.

Anders

sponsored links

9,007 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quick Canon 430EX II Pilot Light Question
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.