Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Sep 2012 (Monday) 03:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark II: difference in sharpness when resizing from RAW and sRAW1

zarray
167 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 10, 2012 03:00 |  #1

Hi guys,

usually I shoot 10mp RAW on the 5D2 and all the time I find the the 10mp files lacking in detail/sharpness compared to the 12mp files that I get from the 5Dc in which the latter produced a really crisp image. To be honest...the lack of detail reminded me of the images I used to get with my 50D. All this is done with the RAW files converted with default sharpness of 25 and resized to 2400x1600 in LR4 for viewing.

Well today I tried shooting the full 22mp RAW on the 5D2 and realized that the converted 2400x1600 jpg file evenly matched the files from the 5D(or at least too similar for my eyes/monitor to tell the difference).

The difference is really noticeable and I'd hate to fall out of love with the newer 5d2...but the 22mp files eat up space on the CF card and HD really fast, not to mention it slows down the processing speed on LR4!

What do you guys do to maximize the IQ output on your 5d2?

5D Mark II | 5Dc |17-40 | 24-105 | 70-200 F2.8 IS | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 580EX

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,172 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 10, 2012 06:40 |  #2

zarray wrote in post #14970578 (external link)
Hi guys,

usually I shoot 10mp RAW on the 5D2 and all the time I find the the 10mp files lacking in detail/sharpness compared to the 12mp files that I get from the 5Dc in which the latter produced a really crisp image. To be honest...the lack of detail reminded me of the images I used to get with my 50D. All this is done with the RAW files converted with default sharpness of 25 and resized to 2400x1600 in LR4 for viewing.

Well today I tried shooting the full 22mp RAW on the 5D2 and realized that the converted 2400x1600 jpg file evenly matched the files from the 5D(or at least too similar for my eyes/monitor to tell the difference).

The difference is really noticeable and I'd hate to fall out of love with the newer 5d2...but the 22mp files eat up space on the CF card and HD really fast, not to mention it slows down the processing speed on LR4!

Most likely what you are finding is that the Canon "resize" function, whether raw or JPG, just isn't quite as good as 3rd party photo processing packages. Much like noise reduction...

Canon changed their firmware on the 5D3 and 1DX to do better JPG generation, so I would assume they upgraded the USM and resizing operations so that JPGs look so much better than previous models.

You can get 1TB USB drives for around $80 now, the prices have fallen again. They were low for quite some time until a natural disaster hit Taiwan, and doubled prices for a while. I never shoot at reduced raw, so that I always have the full sized raw around. I have also found that Canon tweaks and improves DPP so that old raw files now actually produce even better files than before, for what that is worth.

If you want 5Dc file sizes, and the 5D2 seems to produce the same quality when you resize those images down, is there some other feature of the 5D2 that you need which keeps you shooting with it vs just shooting with a 5Dc?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

ssmanak
439 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 10, 2012 10:26 |  #3

Zarray
I am thinking of upgrading to 5D2 for high ISO performance as compared to my current camera. For the reasons you have mentioned I was planning to use 10 mp RAW as I do not print large and basically view on computer. How is 5D2 performance at 3200 ISO at 10 MP RAW. Is there any reduction wrt 22MP.

ss.manak
EOS 6D ii, Canon 24-105f4 L ii, Canon 50 f1.4, Tamron 100-400 f4.5-6.3 VC, Canon 430EX ii, Canon 270 exii

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 10, 2012 13:29 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

zarray wrote in post #14970578 (external link)
but the 22mp files eat up space on the CF card and HD really fast, not to mention it slows down the processing speed on LR4!

1.) Memory/storage is cheap. Buy another card.
2.) The 22mp files are not slowing down LR4. They are slowing down your computer. Upgrade that.

Gear List

zarray
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 11, 2012 07:57 |  #5

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14970887 (external link)
Most likely what you are finding is that the Canon "resize" function, whether raw or JPG, just isn't quite as good as 3rd party photo processing packages. Much like noise reduction...

Canon changed their firmware on the 5D3 and 1DX to do better JPG generation, so I would assume they upgraded the USM and resizing operations so that JPGs look so much better than previous models.

You can get 1TB USB drives for around $80 now, the prices have fallen again. They were low for quite some time until a natural disaster hit Taiwan, and doubled prices for a while. I never shoot at reduced raw, so that I always have the full sized raw around. I have also found that Canon tweaks and improves DPP so that old raw files now actually produce even better files than before, for what that is worth.

If you want 5Dc file sizes, and the 5D2 seems to produce the same quality when you resize those images down, is there some other feature of the 5D2 that you need which keeps you shooting with it vs just shooting with a 5Dc?

Teamspeed,
You bring up a very good question. The original reason why I added the 5d2 to my arsenal was due to the AF microadjustment for my sigma lenses. But so far I've really enjoyed the availability of live view, and having the ability to shoot at iso6400 natively. The LCD is a bonus but I don't think significantly of it.
Truth be told, part of me is fondling with the idea of swapping the 5d2 for a 24L but I'll probably keep it to have two FF bodies.

5D Mark II | 5Dc |17-40 | 24-105 | 70-200 F2.8 IS | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 580EX

shinksma
710 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 11, 2012 09:56 |  #6

IMHO, although you can "get by" with fewer megapixels, I'd rather have every megapixel my camera can produce.

I think you just need to get some off-board storage (I use twin TB external HDDs for dual back-ups - nothing gets stored in the laptop itself). And probably a faster PC. I upgraded from an 8-year-old Dell (9300 laptop - great in its day) to a then-recent i5-CPU Samsung. The difference was night and day. Using Canon DPP on the old machine I'd have a few files processing at any one time, as I did my color/contrast/whateve​r editing, saved RAW, and then Converted to JPGs, because it would take a few minutes just to process one file. I can't get the next file open in DPP before the computer finishes processing the previous one on my mew machine.

My advice: Keep the 5D2, and upgrade your computational components. And buy bigger cards - 32 GB CF cards, holding ~800 photos, are $50 to $100 for "fast enough" name-brand cards.

Again, IMHO,

shinksma

5DII | T3i | EF 17-40 L | EF 24-105 L | EF 24 1.4 L II | EF 28 1.8 | EF 85 1.8 | EF 70-200 2.8 L IS II | EF 100-400 L | EF-S 15-85 IS USM | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS USM | EF-S 10-22 USM | EF 100 2.8 Macro USM | EF-S 18-55 IS | EF 35-80 III | EF-S 55-250 IS | Rokinon 8mm FE | EF 75-300 non-USM III | SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 | Tamron 70-210 | 430EX II | Kenko 2x MC4 and 1.4x Pro300DGX TC

sponsored links

2,200 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark II: difference in sharpness when resizing from RAW and sRAW1
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.