Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 11 Sep 2012 (Tuesday) 16:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

+1 diopter (77mm closeup filter) with 400mm f5.6

weeatmice
763 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 11, 2012 16:56 |  #1

I've been thinking about one of these to help with shooting hovering dragonflies. They often hover too close for the 400mm (MFD is 3.35m)

I realise the 300 f4 IS would be better but I allready have the 400 for birding.

It seems like a +1 diopter (77mm closeup filter) might be a useful and lightweight addition. I found this post, and using the same maths calculated a MFD of 0.76m with a +1 filter. I assume that these +1 closeup filters are actually +1 diopters.

I may have a go with an ultra elcheapo chinese one, I know they'll be optically awful but would suffice to test if it is a viable option.

Has anyone tried this, or have any thoughts?

FS: UK: 1D Mark IV.
Twopixel.co.uk (external link) | 500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Pinterest (external link) |

sponsored links
halitime
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 11, 2012 19:00 |  #2

Do you have extension tubes you can try?

Gear List : 1D MK II n,Gripped XSi,70-200 f4,300 f4 IS,Canon 24-105 f4,35 f2 IS,EF 50 1.8 MK I,EF-S 10-22,Canon 1.4 II Extender,Canon 25mm Ext Tube,YN 468/460 II,RF 602's
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/halitime/sets/ (external link)

LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006
60,693 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 12, 2012 00:51 |  #3

Seems like a good idea. Not sure what the max focus distance would be though - you don't want to be putting it on and taking it off all the time if the dragon moves slighty further away.

Brian v.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lordv/ (external link)
http://www.lordv.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)
Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm OS, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

weeatmice
THREAD ­ STARTER
763 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 12, 2012 03:41 |  #4

Yeah, I'm not certain how to calculate focus distance at infinity focus just yet. It wont be very far though I expect.

I've tried tubes, the full kenko set helps a bit but makes the setup really long.

Twopixel.co.uk (external link) | 500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Pinterest (external link) |

Lester ­ Wareham
28,152 posts
Gallery: 3204 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 15, 2012 05:33 |  #5

weeatmice wrote in post #14980225 (external link)
Yeah, I'm not certain how to calculate focus distance at infinity focus just yet. It wont be very far though I expect.

I've tried tubes, the full kenko set helps a bit but makes the setup really long.

I tried some rough sums here but I have no idea how accurate it is
http://www.zen20934.ze​n.co.uk …ment.htm#Closeu​p%20Lenses (external link)

Follow the ToC link to Close-up lenses if it does not go straight there.

Should be a working distance at infinity of about 1000mm by definition, magnification about 0.4X.

At minimum focus closest focus should give about 0.5x with a working distance of about 770mm.

This is all theory though with no checking.

I was shooting migrant hawkers in flight earlier this week using the 300 f4 IS + 1.4X.

I used the same setup on the 7D as I do for birds in flight, 8 fps, expanded focus point and manual exposure. I haven't processed yet but a quick glance suggests some keepers.

This setup was giving frame filling results if they were hovering, the focus distance was recorded as 2.4 metre in the EXIF but I suspect that is not that accurate.

Aeshna mixta is about 63mm long so to allow some negative space with this species you need a magnification of about 0.3X. Based on this you might get too much magnification with a 400mm and 1 dioptre but is too much to get easily with tubes on a 400mm.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

Crimzon
Cream of the Crop
5,272 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined May 2009

Sep 23, 2012 21:43 |  #6

I don't know what brand you were thinking of. But I have tried off brand diopters, and the chromatic aberrations are astoundingly bad. However from what I hear by word of mouth, (friends of mine who do photography) the canon diopters aren't much better. They say even the canon dipters produce noticeable CA. Plus I can't imagine a 77mm diopter being cheap, at least for a quality one.

I use all my tubes stacked on my 400mm 5.6 frequently. It does make it rather long, but I'm pretty sure you will not get better results using a diopter. I use cheap off brand tubes from ebay. Since there is no glass at all, there is 0% IQ difference between canon/kenko and off brand. It is rather comical how long and skinny the 400mm gets with 3 tubes stacked, but I see no other downside other then it looking funny.

My Flikr (external link)
My Imagekind gallery (external link)

Always feel free to provide constructive criticism to any of my pics.

weeatmice
THREAD ­ STARTER
763 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 24, 2012 16:56 |  #7

I did get a very very cheap one just to test the near and far focus distances. It worked, I was hoping for more range - its quite limited (about 0.7m to 1m) Optically it is junk but I was expecting that. If I liked the range I was going to look for a good one.

I guess tubes would probably be better and I think I'll give them another try.

Lester ­ Wareham
28,152 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 25, 2012 02:48 |  #8

weeatmice wrote in post #15037101 (external link)
I did get a very very cheap one just to test the near and far focus distances. It worked, I was hoping for more range - its quite limited (about 0.7m to 1m) Optically it is junk but I was expecting that. If I liked the range I was going to look for a good one.

I guess tubes would probably be better and I think I'll give them another try.

Sounds like my theoretical calculations were spot on then.

You will not get any more range control with tubes I don't think.

For 0.25x at infinity set you will need 100mm of tubes. I don't have a figure for close focus magnification. I guess that setup would work ok with the larger BF and DF.

Gear List

Larry ­ Weinman
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 26, 2012 09:01 |  #9

I have a Canon 500D closeup achromatic diopter that I carry around and use mainly on a 70-200mm lens for flower photography. It works quite well for that and I have never noticed a problem with CA. The focusing however is slowed quite a bit and for that reason I don't think it would work that well for hovering DF. The Canon 500D has been out of stock for over a year and nobody seems to know if Canon will get around to making some. I have heard that the Marumi two element diopters are pretty good.

7D Mark II 6D 100mm f 2.8 macro 180mm f 3.5 macro, MP-E-65 300mm f 2.8 500mm f4 Tokina 10-17mm fisheye 10-22mm 17-55mm 24-105mm 70-300mm 70-200 f 2.8 Mk II 100-400mm Mk II 1.4 TCIII 2X TCIII 580EX II 430 EX II MT 24 EX Sigma 150-600

Lester ­ Wareham
28,152 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 26, 2012 14:25 |  #10

For hovering DFs I find the best thing is my 300f4 IS + 1.4x, that gives quite tight framing without additional accessories.

Gear List

weeatmice
THREAD ­ STARTER
763 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 26, 2012 15:13 |  #11

Yes I suspect there isnt anything that will beat that setup for this kind of thing, and you can still focus all the way out to infinity.

Lester ­ Wareham
28,152 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 27, 2012 01:51 |  #12

weeatmice wrote in post #15046313 (external link)
Yes I suspect there isnt anything that will beat that setup for this kind of thing, and you can still focus all the way out to infinity.

It is very flexible. Now I have the 180L I don't often use it for DFs, but it is beter for IF. Also works well for birds but the 400/5.6 will be sharper and faster af I would think.

I got the 300 specifically because the relativly close focus makes it very flexible.

Gear List

sponsored links

3,420 views & 0 likes for this thread
+1 diopter (77mm closeup filter) with 400mm f5.6
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.