Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 13 Sep 2012 (Thursday) 16:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First attempt at doing a studio setup (Kallita)

pdx_btk78
81 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 13, 2012 16:32 |  #1

Hi everyone. Because of this forum, I was inspired to give the indoor studio setup a try. Of course since I don't make any money from photography, and its a pure hobby I didn't have a lot to invest for this first attempt. I bought a cheap lighting setup from Amazon made by Cowboy studio for around 100 bucks, and here's some results.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8462/7982569564_dfddc52c12_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/btk78/798256956​4/  (external link)
EOS 5D Mark III_090120121450 (external link) by pdxguy97124 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8446/7982565803_9fd03bf740_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/btk78/798256580​3/  (external link)
EOS 5D Mark III_090120121699 (external link) by pdxguy97124 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8436/7982569386_424fce2d07_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/btk78/798256938​6/  (external link)
EOS 5D Mark III_090120121703 (external link) by pdxguy97124 (external link), on Flickr

What I learn from this experience was that:

1. you definitely get what you paid for. The so called "lighting kit" was very poor quality, the stands were very flimsy. The light was not bright enough. The back drop cloth material was not smooth even after about 2hr of ironing. I'm currently looking for other used lighting setup. Perhaps using flash kits instead of fix lights as well.

2. Use the trip pod more than I did. My shoot lasted about 4 hours including changing time. My arm was tired about 3 hrs into it.. my own fault. I noticed a dramatic decrease focus accuracy towards the end of the shoot. Had I use my tripod more throughout, I would have been a lot better off.

3. Need to really check camera settings and the histogram more often. I noticed way too many over and under exposed shots. Over all I really just need a lot more practice.

4. The communication was okay with the subject, partially because she was a friend of mine. However, I wish I had more time to prep for the shoot, and come up with more specific ideas on what I want to do. The scheduling wasn't in my control with this shoot, I kinda quickly threw everything together in about a week notice.

Anyway, over all I was really glad that I had this chance to try out studio photography, and I think it is definitely something I would like to continue to pursue. Any critiques/comments is much appreciated.

5D Mk III & 7D | 430 EX II
Canon 50mm f1.2L | 16-35mm f2.8L Mk II | 24-105mm f4L IS | 70-200mm f2.8L IS Mk II | Σ 150-500mm
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
iLvision
Cream of the Crop
5,766 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 13, 2012 16:42 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

One thing I'd like to point out: try to avoid having the light falling on the background. Cover it with a reflector on the side, use a carboard- anything to make sure the light only falls on your subject.
Also, your power levels look the same. Meaning- you were shooting with the same power on the flashes. I don't know about others, but I like to have my fill light be about 1/3 of my main light power output.
Also, in the studio, shoot at about f/8 or smaller to have everything in focus :)

Ilya | Gear | flickr (external link) D800| 14-300mm f/1.4GL ED VR III USWM

eye ­ on ­ color
275 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 13, 2012 19:23 |  #3

I looked at you flickr account and thought the best of the shoot was this one:

EOS 5D Mark III_090120121063

The biggest reason was she was looking into the camera.
The first one in the post would be much better if she was looking into the camers.
for that matter all would benefit from that change.

my 2 cents

Happy Shooting ;)
Gear List

Flickr (external link)

fashionrider
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 15, 2012 00:17 |  #4

Did u intend to make the bg pitch black? If so... U need to block your lights from spilling to it. Even moving the model away from bg will help. Also try to learn how to edit in post. Her skin isn't so bad but your last pic really brings out the imperfections on her skin.

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

erikfig
Goldmember
2,151 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 15, 2012 09:40 |  #5

The flash looks pretty harsh in 2 and 3.

Who cares about my gear?
FlickR (external link)
Facebook (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,899 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 15, 2012 09:51 |  #6

Next time try feathering your light across her face. This will provide a couple of benefits.
1) keeps the light off the BG
2) provides more even illumination across the subject.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links

1,167 views & 0 likes for this thread
First attempt at doing a studio setup (Kallita)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.