Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 Sep 2012 (Friday) 23:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoshop CS6 last version to support Windows XP

sue.t
Goldmember
1,170 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 14, 2012 23:25 |  #1

From http://gurusunleashed.​com …toshop-and-windows-xp.php (external link)

The Photoshop team would like to provide advanced notice that Photoshop CS6 (external link) (13.0) will be the last major version of Photoshop to support Windows XP. (Photoshop CS6 does not support Windows Vista.) In addition, all subsequent Photoshop feature updates specifically for Creative Cloud (external link) members will no longer support Windows XP. Leveraging advances available on newer operating systems and hardware allows us to deliver significantly better performance, and focus our innovation efforts around the areas of the greatest benefit to our customers.

Photoshop CS6 already demonstrates that relying on a modern operating system, graphics cards/GPUs and graphics drivers can lead to substantial improvements in 3D (external link), Blur Gallery (external link) and Lighting Effect features (external link) not available to Windows XP customers. The team hopes that by providing this information early it will help you understand our current decisions around operating system support and where we we’re headed with future releases of Photoshop. We encourage all customers who are currently using Windows XP to begin making their migration plans now so they can fully take advantage of future Photoshop innovations as soon as they are available.

-

sponsored links
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 15, 2012 12:37 |  #2

They have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to supporting older OS. With Windows 8 looming it makes sense that they would no longer support XP though it is one of their more solid versions. I was more than happy with XP but then bought a new laptop that had Windows 7 on it and really like that now. It didn't take me long to move all my computers to 7 after that.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

HankScorpio
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 15, 2012 15:16 |  #3

XP is 11 years old. 11. I'm surprised CS6 supports it.

My collection of boxes with holes (external link)
EXIF semper intacta.
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,011 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 15, 2012 22:47 |  #4

Thing that surprises me in the OP is the line that CS6 supports XP but not Vista. Why would a program be able to run on both XP and 7 but not on Vista?

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

scokar
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 16, 2012 00:35 |  #5

Windows 7 has a lot of black magic voodoo to allow programs that broke on vista to start working again.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 17, 2012 00:02 |  #6

BigAl007 wrote in post #14997123 (external link)
Thing that surprises me in the OP is the line that CS6 supports XP but not Vista. Why would a program be able to run on both XP and 7 but not on Vista?

Alan

"Supports" is not the same as "will run on". CS6 runs perfectly fine on my Vista machine. But I suspect that if I ran into some kind of glitch, their support department would not work with me to troubleshoot it because it isn't officially "supported".

XP has long been a tried and true OS for many businesses. The last I checked, there were about 3 times as many businesses using XP than were using Vista. Many have since upgraded to Win7 but skipped Vista altogether. Adobe likely had to keep supporting it because of the number of businesses still using XP. Apparently that number has dwindled to the point where they are comfortable cutting it off.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

TijmenDal
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 17, 2012 01:56 |  #7

BigAl007 wrote in post #14997123 (external link)

Alan

Vista sucks balls and XP is awesome.

//Tijmen
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tijmendalexternal link

Gear

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 19, 2012 14:34 |  #8

I did computer support in a big manufacturing plant and we skipped Vista, and I skipped Vista on my home workstation. I used XP, 32-bit, until just a few months ago (when LR4 came out). I heard good stories about both Win7x64 and LR4, making a compelling case to install Win7x64 on my system. Plus, I was using it on a laptop with no contrary issues. And, a POTN friend helped me to get LR4!!!

A big plus to moving to Win7x64 is the fact that the 64-bit system supports more RAM!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

1,934 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoshop CS6 last version to support Windows XP
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.