Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 06:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: G15 announced

ceremus
266 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 18, 2012 10:57 |  #31

Yeah, wow, given the choice I'd go for the Nikon. Retains the articulated screen improved from the previous version, loses the useless OVF, with a relatively fast lens also improved from the last version. The lens isn't as bright as the G15, but it's a longer zoom than the Canon and f/2-4 isn't bad at all.

My flickriver (external link)

sponsored links
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 18, 2012 11:02 |  #32

I know. It's just a toss up in many ways depending on which company you prefer, but I think the N*kon has an edge just because of the reach.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,652 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 18, 2012 11:07 |  #33

Funny how so many where upset with Canon's "gimmick" swivel screen of the 60D and G12 and now it's this feature we can't do without. I do like it, I was just doing a shot this morning for my work and I realized I wish I used the 60D instead of the 5d2 because I could have really used the swivel screen to better see what I was doing.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon EOS R • 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 35 1.8 RF • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

steve40
188 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 18, 2012 12:02 |  #34

ceremus wrote in post #15008262 (external link)
The sensor is based on the S110 sensor, similar to the S100, so I don't think there's much question that there will be an improvement in IQ, that's pretty much been demonstrated in comparing the S95 to the S100. Granted it's going to be a somewhat marginal improvement only moving up from one generation on a small-ish P&S sensor.

I think the much brighter lens is the really big deal in this regard. If you're worried about noise, having a lens that 2-3 stops faster will let you shoot lower ISOs far more often.

Ultimately I think it's going to be a good camera for people who do a lot of indoor shooting, not only because you have a much faster lens, but also with the hotshoe the possibility for bounced flash opens up (as long as you have a flash with a tilt and/or swivel). The loss of the tilt screen on the other hand really sucks if you like to shoot outdoors, shoot macro, or shoot video. The faster lens doesn't really help you out in any of those regards except video.

Well since 90% of what I do is landscape, and outdoor macro, the G15 would be a step downhill. Besides looking at it, you can tell its not the build quality of the G12. But then every generation of any product, brings cheap with it.

I just hope my G12 lasts as long as I do, which could stop at any time (me that is). Because I really would not know! how to replace it. I have owned Panasonics, do not like them. Don't really care for Nikon P&S cameras. Will not buy a DSLR!. Maybe? a good old 35mm SLR film camera. Then again, maybe I will retire form photography all together.

Steve40.
http://steveslandscape​s.50webs.com (external link)
Cameras: Canon G12, SX150 is, & A1200.
Darkroom & Printer: PhotoShop Elements 9, Canon Pixma iX6520.
Tripods: Manfrotto 190XPROB & Giottos MT 9251 + Several Heads.

ceremus
266 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 18, 2012 12:02 |  #35

Tommydigi wrote in post #15009081 (external link)
Funny how so many where upset with Canon's "gimmick" swivel screen of the 60D and G12 and now it's this feature we can't do without. I do like it, I was just doing a shot this morning for my work and I realized I wish I used the 60D instead of the 5d2 because I could have really used the swivel screen to better see what I was doing.

Haha yeah, I've been completely taken with swivel screens ever since my Powershot A80 (external link). I'd never describe the feature as gimmicky. I'll usually take the option whenever it's presented, it's something I miss on my 7D, and it's one of the reasons I'm not getting rid of my T3i.

My flickriver (external link)

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Sep 18, 2012 12:17 |  #36

Tommydigi wrote in post #15009081 (external link)
Funny how so many where upset with Canon's "gimmick" swivel screen of the 60D and G12 ....

Hardly a "gimmick" by the time the G12 and 60D came out. It was a feature of the G1 and many following Canons a long time ago. Big mistake to cut it on the G15.

ALH
204 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 18, 2012 12:27 |  #37

Would never buy a compact camera - of any brand - which didn't have a swivel screen.

Al

rsj87
306 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 18, 2012 13:01 as a reply to  @ ALH's post |  #38

I will buy this camera. I understand why canon did not include a swivel screen and I can understand why people dislike that, but that's not a deal breaker for me. I like the fast aperture throughout the zoom range which reminds me of my Fuji X10 with just a little more reach since the canon has the 5x zoom plus I can use my canon hotshoe flashes. It should suffice as my X10 did when I do not want to carry the dslr.

Canon T4i | 580EX II | 18-135mm STM | 50mm f1.4 | Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
Canon G7x
Sony RX10
Olympus TG-3 waterproof

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,652 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 18, 2012 14:23 |  #39

I don't think its a gimmick but people where all outraged when it was put on the 60D. Even owning a full frame camera I still like using my 60D and 1 big reason is the screen. I don't use it a lot but it comes in handy. I can live without it on a point and shoot and the faster lens and slightly smaller size is a plus.

Canon EOS R • 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 35 1.8 RF • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

rsj87
306 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 18, 2012 14:39 |  #40

I used to own 60D and the flip screen was useful but I learned to live without it when I got the 5Diii. While the G15 doesn't have the flip screen, I believe it still has other features that keeps it competitive. The fast aperture and can zoom and continuous focus in movie mode are great. The G1X has a bigger sensor and flip screen, but I'd still choose the G15. Now if a G1X successor came out that had a large sensor, flip screen, fast aperture throughout the range, and constant focus in video mode, then that'd be something.

Canon T4i | 580EX II | 18-135mm STM | 50mm f1.4 | Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
Canon G7x
Sony RX10
Olympus TG-3 waterproof

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,241 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 18, 2012 14:42 as a reply to  @ Tommydigi's post |  #41

I'm constantly using my flippity on both my cameras. Natural screen protector at the very least...

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

Gil ­ Bean
515 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 18, 2012 15:05 |  #42

MOVED TO HERE

Saw Canon's and dpreview's article on the G15. IMHO, I feel they took 1 step forward and 3 back. Nothing here to warrant upgrading my G12. Non-articulated screen, no ISO dial. I am simply not impressed, not at all.

Gil

G3, G6, G12, T2i + kit lens & accoutrements

Gil ­ Bean
515 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 18, 2012 15:09 |  #43

Re: Looked at G15 - but will price of G12 drop?

---------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmab
You never know, the image quality might be better at high ISO which would be very impressive. That's something to look for, IMHO. If IQ is a wash, than I agree with you.

---------------

Perhaps a consideration except IQ is not enough to drop another 500 for 1 upgrade after only using the G12 2 years. I have the T2i that 500 would place a nice Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Medium Telephoto Lens with 120 left over for more "toys!"

Gil

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,652 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 18, 2012 15:14 |  #44

If you have a G12 its probably not worth it IMO but there does seem to be some advantage with the 15. A faster lens is a pretty big plus not to mention the autofocus is supposed to be 53% faster. I can live without the ISO dial, my DSLR does not have one either. If I had the 12 I would think twice but since I have no real point and shoot I would opt for the 15.

Will this be released before the end of Oct? I am going to disney at the end of oct and this would be perfect for my trip.

Gil ­ Bean
515 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 18, 2012 15:21 |  #45

Tommydigi wrote in post #15010234 (external link)
If you have a G12 its probably not worth it IMO but there does seem to be some advantage with the 15. A faster lens is a pretty big plus not to mention the autofocus is supposed to be 53% faster. I can live without the ISO dial, my DSLR does not have one either. If I had the 12 I would think twice but since I have no real point and shoot I would opt for the 15.

Will this be released before the end of Oct? I am going to disney at the end of oct and this would be perfect for my trip.

I am sorry, but neither Canon nor dpreview says. I do not know when the major shows are held.

ANYONE have any idea on the probable release date?

Gil

sponsored links

104,520 views & 2 likes for this thread
G15 announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.