Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 06:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: G15 announced

etaV8R
362 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 22, 2012 15:04 |  #76

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15027889 (external link)
wha-BAM! Canon finally put the lens I wanted to see on the G1X.

I'd buy a G15 over a G1X any day of the week...

Oh of course a 15 over a 1X. No question there. I still like the versatility of the 12 over the 15 for what I do.

6D & G5X
EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, EF 35-135 USM f/4 & EF 50 f/1.8, Sigma 150-500
580EX, Kenko 2X Pro DG TC
Retired: G15, G9, SD800IS, S45, Elan, AE1-Program

sponsored links
mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 23, 2012 09:55 |  #77

steve40 wrote in post #15013693 (external link)
Speed Kills; that's what the speed warnings use to say. Well they were right! speed killed the G15, at least as far as I am concerned. I guess I don't appreciate the speed thing, because I never get in a hurry. I never really noticed my G12 being slow but I'll turn it on, and see if I can tell how slow it is. :lol: I really don't care.

I am not part of the hurry up, and why didn't you do it yesterday crowd. I don't take pictures in the dark, and I really like my tripod. I abhor sports, and could care less about burst rates. When I am taking pictures, I certainty am not going anywhere else, so focus time (a few micro seconds more) doesn't worry me. But I really hate when things go missing, and I can't find them; so goes the G15.

Oh yes I don't take pictures of cats, dogs, or kids, unless the aforementioned are asleep.

So really G12 is way overkill for you

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,652 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 23, 2012 12:55 |  #78

I am going to pre-order. I usually never do this but this seems perfect for my trip near the end of Oct. Going to Disney with 2 kids I don't really want to lug around a DSLR. I will probably take a small kit just in case but it most likely will stay in the room.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon EOS R • 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 35 1.8 RF • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 23, 2012 16:56 |  #79

It appears I was mistaken, you have to get all new adaptors for the lenses and such for the G15. They just couldnt let that one get by I guess. So Im pulling my G12 off Ebay and Ill just stick with the G12. Too bad, was looking forward to a faster lens and more sensitive sensor. Oh well, next year maybe.

Gil ­ Bean
515 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 23, 2012 20:22 |  #80

mastertech01 wrote in post #15027299 (external link)
You dont think it has something to do with keeping the camera in the sub 500.00 price range?

mastertech: Probably that too.

mastertech01 wrote in post #15031320 (external link)
So really G12 is way overkill for you

No. I know this was not addressed to me but you totally missed our point. The limited improvements are not worth dropping another 500 when the G12 is only two years old and suits our needs. I have the T2i and can buy the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Medium Telephoto Lens for 369, have a perfect low-light, lens, a faster lens, faster AF, a nice portrait lens and great bokeh with 130 left over for other "toys". I can wait for a better G series down the line. Simply because I do not need the few upgrades on the G15 at the cost of losing features I do use and like, do not need to have the latest bells and whistles or need to keep up with the Jones' do not mean it is over-kill. Why I need/use the camera determines whether I upgrade. The camera will not make you a better photographer.

Gil

G3, G6, G12, T2i + kit lens & accoutrements

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 23, 2012 20:34 |  #81

Gil Bean wrote in post #15033350 (external link)
mastertech: Probably that too.

No. I know this was not addressed to me but you totally missed our point. The limited improvements are not worth dropping another 500 when the G12 is only two years old and suits our needs. I have the T2i and can buy the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Medium Telephoto Lens for 369, have a perfect low-light, lens, a faster lens, faster AF, a nice portrait lens and great bokeh with 130 left over for other "toys". I can wait for a better G series down the line. Simply because I do not need the few upgrades on the G15 at the cost of losing features I do use and like, do not need to have the latest bells and whistles or need to keep up with the Jones' do not mean it is over-kill. Why I need/use the camera determines whether I upgrade. The camera will not make you a better photographer.

Gil

You arent dropping another 500.00 You might drop another 200 after get back 300 for the G12 more or less. I dont suggest you upgrade or anyone else, but the person I addressed the comment to seemed to suggest he didnt need any of the versatility of the G12 even. He just takes snap shots any P&S can offer from his comments that sound like he is suggesting the camera isnt worth the price because HE doesnt use it like others might.

Gil ­ Bean
515 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 23, 2012 20:35 |  #82

Tommydigi wrote in post #15031822 (external link)
I am going to pre-order. I usually never do this but this seems perfect for my trip near the end of Oct. Going to Disney with 2 kids I don't really want to lug around a DSLR. I will probably take a small kit just in case but it most likely will stay in the room.

Tommy, may I please persuade you into buying Canon's FA-DC58B Filter Adapter, a multi-coated UV or clear filter, and leaving it on the camera? I have seen too many "scratched lens" problems on the G12. I would be sad to see you lose a new G15 from a scratched lens. I know you are trying to cut down on how much you carry but even the G15 without a tilt/swivel screen is not a "pants" pocket camera. Please consider it.

Gil

Gil ­ Bean
515 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 23, 2012 20:41 |  #83

mastertech01 wrote in post #15033404 (external link)
You arent dropping another 500.00 You might drop another 200 after get back 300 for the G12 more or less. I dont suggest you upgrade or anyone else, but the person I addressed the comment to seemed to suggest he didnt need any of the versatility of the G12 even. He just takes snap shots any P&S can offer from his comments that sound like he is suggesting the camera isnt worth the price because HE doesnt use it like others might.

mastertech, sorry. my mistake.:oops: That is what happens when I do not read carefully and put my mouth in motion before my mind is in gear:)

Gil

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 23, 2012 20:43 |  #84

Gil Bean wrote in post #15033436 (external link)
mastertech, sorry. my mistake.:oops: That is what happens when I do not read carefully and put my mouth in motion before my mind is in gear:)

Gil

No sweat, I may not have understood him fully either, but thats why we discuss these things. We sorta vet each others ideas and come to a concensus. No one is 100 percent right. :)

wilerty
237 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 23, 2012 23:01 |  #85

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15027889 (external link)
wha-BAM! Canon finally put the lens I wanted to see on the G1X.

I'd buy a G15 over a G1X any day of the week...

Not me ... different strokes ...

Bill

| Olympus OM-D M5 | Canon G1 X | S95 | 320EX |

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,652 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 23, 2012 23:59 |  #86

Gil Bean wrote in post #15033412 (external link)
Tommy, may I please persuade you into buying Canon's FA-DC58B Filter Adapter, a multi-coated UV or clear filter, and leaving it on the camera? I have seen too many "scratched lens" problems on the G12. I would be sad to see you lose a new G15 from a scratched lens. I know you are trying to cut down on how much you carry but even the G15 without a tilt/swivel screen is not a "pants" pocket camera. Please consider it.

Gil

Thanks, I was just looking at pics of it and it does make the camera look a bit bigger. Does the lens really scratch that easily?

Canon EOS R • 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 35 1.8 RF • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

Gil ­ Bean
515 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 24, 2012 15:59 |  #87

Tommydigi wrote in post #15034100 (external link)
Thanks, I was just looking at pics of it and it does make the camera look a bit bigger. Does the lens really scratch that easily?

Maybe not that easily but the lens has a built in cover for protection. ( http://www.dpreview.co​m …ews/canon-powershot-g15/2 (external link) ) It does not have a "cap". When the lens closes (or opens), the cover rotates and covers/uncovers the lens. The problem seems to be that the tolerance is close and the "cover" is not too rigid. People have pushed in on the cover taking it out or putting it in their "pocket," "bag," or whatever pressing the cover into the lens. Or something in whatever they carry it in presses against the cover. Lens glass usually is not too "tough". It just seems to happen. I placed an adapter and UV filter on mine the day I received it and have no scratches or dust. Maybe not that easy to scratch, but a 100-dollar filter that can be replaced there or a new camera after you return?

https://photography-on-the.net …1127169&highlig​ht=scratch
https://photography-on-the.net …1148061&highlig​ht=scratch
https://photography-on-the.net …1147560&highlig​ht=scratch

These are from a search in the Canon G-series Digital Cameras forum using the word scratch. Look, I might be overly cautious but how many Disney trips will you take with 2 kids?

Gil

Might buy extra batteries and cards!:D

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,652 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 24, 2012 18:28 |  #88

Thanks Gill, I will get the camera first and see how it goes. I will be taking a DSLR with me on my trip but a very minimal kit since I anticipate the G15 getting most of the use.

steve40
188 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 25, 2012 10:23 as a reply to  @ Tommydigi's post |  #89

I think you that shot went over the top of your head completely. I did not say the G12 was more camera than I needed, I probably have owned more SLR,s and other film cameras than you can count.

I said the G15 as far as I am concerned does not offer to me, any jaw dropping advances. And really nothing!, I can't do with my present G12. I don't mind the slower lens, I do not do any type of photography that using a tripod, and a little slower lens would make any difference in. I do not do action photography like sports, so burst rates do not impress me. However the G15 is missing, the external convenient level of control the G12 offers. So on that count!, I am very unimpressed. Also You can't use the same adapter tube for filters, and other attachments. I don't wish to go down that road with the G15 either, as someone else has also stated. All round sort of a BUST! is the G15.

An for those who have never used the articulating screen of the G!2, boy have you missed the boat. But maybe you!, don't do the type of photography where you have missed it. So as a poet and philosopher once said, "we all walk to a different drummer", the G15 just is not playing my beat!.

Steve40.
http://steveslandscape​s.50webs.com (external link)
Cameras: Canon G12, SX150 is, & A1200.
Darkroom & Printer: PhotoShop Elements 9, Canon Pixma iX6520.
Tripods: Manfrotto 190XPROB & Giottos MT 9251 + Several Heads.

ALH
204 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 25, 2012 10:49 |  #90

Boom, boom!! ;)

sponsored links

104,537 views & 2 likes for this thread
G15 announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.