Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 13:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 18, 2013 12:38 |  #1981

LV Moose wrote in post #15505145 (external link)
I hear ya. I initially found mine needed roughly +10. After playing with it more yesterday, got it narrowed down to +8 at close distances (MFD to about 30 feet). Problem is, shooting a mountain at near infinity, it was sharpest at +5. Not sure what I'm gonna do at this point.

That is what was happening with mine, but a bit more severe.... MFD to normal distances, perfect at +9... Anywhere near infinity, needed -2 to 0.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
slimninj4
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 18, 2013 12:48 |  #1982

I will be getting this lens soon. I do have a question though. People are saying the 35L is not sharp at the edges...well at 1.4 shouldn't the edges be blurry? I want to understand as this just popped up in my head.

thanks.

Canon 40D 5Dm3 || 24-70 L 70-200 2.8 IS2 100mm Macro 50mm 1.8 35 1.4

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,744 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 18, 2013 12:49 |  #1983

What do you guys shoot at f1.4 and infinity distances? I would assume for those landscapes shots you at f8, f16 so MA shouldn't matter. I could be totally wrong.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 18, 2013 12:49 |  #1984

I could easily trade my 35L for this lens at a local store where I live.

They buy used and sell new, and I wouldn't lose a dime on the trade. But I am so afraid of this whole focus distance issue. Total bummer, because this lens clearly blows the 35L away when it hits.

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 18, 2013 12:53 |  #1985

bobbyz wrote in post #15505267 (external link)
What do you guys shoot at f1.4 and infinity distances? I would assume for those landscapes shots you at f8, f16 so MA shouldn't matter. I could be totally wrong.

That's what I was thinking of course I don't understand if I would shoot things past 15 ft @ f/1.4; it's always a learning thing for me. >_<

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,374 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 18, 2013 13:00 |  #1986

slimninj4 wrote in post #15505261 (external link)
I will be getting this lens soon. I do have a question though. People are saying the 35L is not sharp at the edges...well at 1.4 shouldn't the edges be blurry? I want to understand as this just popped up in my head.

thanks.

The background will be blurry. But if your subject goes all the way to the edges, you want the corners and edges as sharp as possible. Some lenses are much better than others in this aspect.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Simplistic
Goldmember
1,443 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 18, 2013 13:41 |  #1987

Osiriz wrote in post #15505270 (external link)
I could easily trade my 35L for this lens at a local store where I live.

They buy used and sell new, and I wouldn't lose a dime on the trade. But I am so afraid of this whole focus distance issue. Total bummer, because this lens clearly blows the 35L away when it hits.

I would sell the 35L on here and buy it new from that place and you'd have $200 left over.

I think trading a 35L for this puppy is a bit of a rip if you ask me...

Would you sell the 35L for $900?

If so, in about 2 months I'll have the money to buy it :)

5D II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 85 f/1.8 | Canon 24-105 f/4 L
WARNING!: Before commenting that my color correction is horrible, please keep in mind that I am colorblind, and that hasn't stopped me from trying.

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
6,065 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 18, 2013 14:30 as a reply to  @ Simplistic's post |  #1988

Vixen89 wrote in post #15505301 (external link)
That's what I was thinking of course I don't understand if I would shoot things past 15 ft @ f/1.4; it's always a learning thing for me. >_<

THink environmental portraits in low light. You have all seen dankanta's work like this. He almost always shoots wide open.

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Sigma 16./1.4 | Zeiss Touit 12/2.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 18, 2013 15:35 as a reply to  @ idsurfer's post |  #1989

Mine was waiting for me when I got home today!!

First thing I did was to run FoCal, which said it needed +5. Fair enough, so let FoCal set that and then started started photos of wife and baby. None were in focus wider than f2.8

So i'm thinking oh no, I've lost the Sigma lottery etc etc.

Shot a manual MA chart and it was back focusing consistently. Set the MA back to 0 and it's perfect. Shot a load more photos and every single one is bang on, perfect focus, and omg, so sharp!! :D

So it didn't need any MA, it's stupid sharp, it seems EXTREMELY well made and the AF is really quick, and to me, the bokeh looks great! Well done sigma!

Only thing i'm not too keen on is the stiffness of the focus ring. It's really stiff, esp as my other lens is the 85L which you can spin with the flick of a finger tip, which I love. Maybe it'll loosen up a little...

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

Revolverz
223 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 18, 2013 15:42 |  #1990

RMH wrote in post #15505942 (external link)
Mine was waiting for me when I got home today!!

First thing I did was to run FoCal, which said it needed +5. Fair enough, so let FoCal set that and then started started photos of wife and baby. None were in focus wider than f2.8

So i'm thinking oh no, I've lost the Sigma lottery etc etc.

Shot a manual MA chart and it was back focusing consistently. Set the MA back to 0 and it's perfect. Shot a load more photos and every single one is bang on, perfect focus, and omg, so sharp!! :D

So it didn't need any MA, it's stupid sharp, it seems EXTREMELY well made and the AF is really quick, and to me, the bokeh looks great! Well done sigma!

Only thing i'm not too keen on is the stiffness of the focus ring. It's really stiff, esp as my other lens is the 85L which you can spin with the flick of a finger tip, which I love. Maybe it'll loosen up a little...

Great ! now please try to focus on subjects positioned far away from you @ 1.4 and tell us if the focus is spot on.
Focus ring stiffness would be my last concern. :D

Website: www.cristian-popa.com (external link) ___Facebook: https://www.facebook.c​om/cristian.popa.art (external link)

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 18, 2013 15:55 |  #1991

Revolverz wrote in post #15505972 (external link)
Great ! now please try to focus on subjects positioned far away from you @ 1.4 and tell us if the focus is spot on.

ok, i'll try that tomorrow- it's dark outside here now, and biggest room i have is 15' square :P

in the mean time, have one at v close to MFD, f1.4, 0 MA, SOOC, 100% crop

IMAGE: http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6892/img0485vm.jpg

I feel fairly happy with that :) maybe i can forgive the stiff focus ring a little

Earwax69
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 18, 2013 18:55 |  #1992

I bought Focal thinking it would solve my 135L problems. It just created more.

If your lens is fine with a bit of MA, no need to post about it. It's normal. All my Canon lenses need MA on my 6D.

We know the Sigma 35mm f1.4 is at is best with near subjects.

If your lens require different MA at different distances, this is more delicate as the AF system of the body might also be part of the problem. Changing the lens might not fix it. (it did not for me when replacing my 135L)

Canon 6D | S35mm f1.4 | 135mm f2 The rest: T3i, 20D, 15mm f2.8, 15-85mm, 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 90mm f2.8 macro, 55-250mm.
So long and thanks for all the fish

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,233 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 18, 2013 21:00 |  #1993

non-issue for me, as is soft corners and vignetting at big apertures.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 18, 2013 23:08 |  #1994

Here is what I did: I gave the camera to another photographer and asked her to shoot the same things I shot. It was fine, just as when I shot.

Greg35 wrote in post #15507015 (external link)
Received the 35mm 1.4 today, tested it out on a 7d, and returned it today.

Tried MA for awhile, ended up at +8, and when I thought I had it, tried it out and it was pretty good for close shots, but going beyond that had some issues. There was even a time when I took a shot, took 2 steps back and shot the same object with point focus and had a problem. Tried stills, people, focus charts, different focus settings.

Will try another copy.

After hours of trying to dial it in, I thought maybe I screwed up a setting along the line but then tried other lenses (100L, 85, 50, 17-50), all of which were MA'd a small amount except for the 100 which didn't need it, and those were all fine.

Hopefully the next Sigma copy doesn't have those issues. The lens really is built very well and has an impressive feel. Very solid. Better feel than the canon lenses I have. Crossing fingers....

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 19, 2013 05:16 |  #1995

Revolverz wrote in post #15505972 (external link)

Interesting...

Here's F1.4 at a couple of hundred feet. The buildings are way OOF. The trees actually look in focus, and they're about half way between camera and building, so it's front focusing by a very, very long way at longer distances.

I'd never use it like this, so this isn't actually going to affect me in my photography, but I guess the AF on this lens does indeed have issues...

IMAGE: http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5050/capturetta.jpg

That was with single (centre) AF point, so it's not locked onto the trees as the closer subject with a different point, and it does this somewhat consistently - took 6, the buildings are almost in focus in 2 of them, but even those don't look quite nailed.

sponsored links

685,557 views & 2 likes for this thread
New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.