Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 13:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG

Arob1000
836 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Feb 04, 2013 20:44 |  #2461

catchquan wrote in post #15572526 (external link)
Just got mine in the mail, I hit the Sigma lottery. I bought a 35L at the same time and was planning on sending one or the other back (was assuming I'd be sending the Sigma back) but the 35L is going back. Better in every way.

Congratz!

Website (external link) :cool:500px (external link) :cool: Flickr (external link) :cool: Facebook (external link) :cool:Blog (external link):cool:

sponsored links
AltgnJoey
885 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 04, 2013 23:39 |  #2462

Had mine for a few weeks. Within 3 feet it works flawlessly wide open. Anything over that and it's a crapshoot. Dunno if I'd ever bring this on a paying job, but should be fun to use on my kids.

https://500px.com/jose​ph-kurtz (external link)
www.josephkurtzphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 04, 2013 23:44 |  #2463
bannedPermanent ban

AltgnJoey wrote in post #15573597 (external link)
Had mine for a few weeks. Within 3 feet it works flawlessly wide open. Anything over that and it's a crapshoot. Dunno if I'd ever bring this on a paying job, but should be fun to use on my kids.

Exactly like my copy...:oops:

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,503 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 04, 2013 23:46 |  #2464

catchquan wrote in post #15572526 (external link)
Just got mine in the mail, I hit the Sigma lottery. I bought a 35L at the same time and was planning on sending one or the other back (was assuming I'd be sending the Sigma back) but the 35L is going back. Better in every way.

In the short duration of time I'll assure you you have not tested the lens thoroughly. You'll require alot of time to test in different environments with all sorts of lighting and mixed lighting.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

rjmcinnis
32 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 05, 2013 00:19 as a reply to  @ AltgnJoey's post |  #2465

Soooo...

I'm a total noob to photography, but been having fun taking pics for a few years. Nothing I do looks as good as most of what gets posted here, so I have never posted pics, and rarely post messages at all.

Reason for above is to preface what follows...

I bought this lens after reading the first 30-50 pages of this thread as it developed. I've had it for several weeks now. I currently have a 7d, and alternately trying to convince myself I need/don't need a Mark III...

Anyway, the first several weeks all of my pics with this looked very sharp, in whatever light I tried. Outside sunny, cloudy, overcast... Inside multiple locations around my house...

It did require some initial MA, but was great after that. Anything that wasn't sharp I could easily attribute to my lack of skill.

So tonight, my wife had a new swimsuit, and asked me to take a few pics so she could see how she looked. We took the pics in the hallway, which we had *NOT* done yet...

EVERY SINGLE pic was out of focus!?!?

I tried lots of combos of f/stop iso shutter speed... Nothing helped. Switched to Live View and perfect focus?!?! Got really pissed, and switched to other lens, much better... WTF???

Decided to quit before frustration caused the early death of a 7d, so she went into the bathroom to shower. I said wait, let me try in here (bathroom) instead... And guess what-Perfect focus again!?!?

Finally made it to my point. While I really didn't consider myself skillful enough to add legitimate value to this conversation before, I definitely do now. This lens has been great until today. Way better than my talent could use. But I certainly see, and add my dubious voice to reporting that this lens has an issue in certain light.

The funny thing is, until today, 99% of the pics I took were at 1.4, as this is my first lens to goes that big. But in my hallway, my sigma 17-50 2.8 is much sharper at 2.8 than this sigma 35 1.4 is at 1.4, 2, 2.8... All the way to f8, where camera shake or iso noise was causing other issues...

But outside my hallway, anywhere else so far, has been crazy sharp.

YMMV...

catchquan
209 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 05, 2013 00:51 |  #2466

AlanU wrote in post #15573606 (external link)
In the short duration of time I'll assure you you have not tested the lens thoroughly. You'll require alot of time to test in different environments with all sorts of lighting and mixed lighting.

Short time as in 2 days, probably over 5 hours in both a controlled environment and real world tests? The 35L is far softer across the board at all apertures, center point at f/1.4 is no where near as sharp as the S35 is center point. S35 is sharp form corner to corner (mostly) at f/1.4. Color contrast and saturation is much more desirable than the 35L. Bokeh is probably the only aspect it is not overly dominant in but I wouldn't call the 35L bokeh anything special either anyways.

"Look, I'm not an intellectual. I just take pictures"
Canon 5DMKII (Gripped) | Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG HSM | 85 f/1.2L USM ii
| AB800 (3) | 530EX (2) |

Ilovetheleafs
Raising uninteresting to new levels
907 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 05, 2013 00:52 |  #2467

rjmcinnis wrote in post #15573696 (external link)
Soooo...

I'm a total noob to photography, but been having fun taking pics for a few years. Nothing I do looks as good as most of what gets posted here, so I have never posted pics, and rarely post messages at all.

Reason for above is to preface what follows...

I bought this lens after reading the first 30-50 pages of this thread as it developed. I've had it for several weeks now. I currently have a 7d, and alternately trying to convince myself I need/don't need a Mark III...

Anyway, the first several weeks all of my pics with this looked very sharp, in whatever light I tried. Outside sunny, cloudy, overcast... Inside multiple locations around my house...

It did require some initial MA, but was great after that. Anything that wasn't sharp I could easily attribute to my lack of skill.

So tonight, my wife had a new swimsuit, and asked me to take a few pics so she could see how she looked. We took the pics in the hallway, which we had *NOT* done yet...

EVERY SINGLE pic was out of focus!?!?

I tried lots of combos of f/stop iso shutter speed... Nothing helped. Switched to Live View and perfect focus?!?! Got really pissed, and switched to other lens, much better... WTF???

Decided to quit before frustration caused the early death of a 7d, so she went into the bathroom to shower. I said wait, let me try in here (bathroom) instead... And guess what-Perfect focus again!?!?

Finally made it to my point. While I really didn't consider myself skillful enough to add legitimate value to this conversation before, I definitely do now. This lens has been great until today. Way better than my talent could use. But I certainly see, and add my dubious voice to reporting that this lens has an issue in certain light.

The funny thing is, until today, 99% of the pics I took were at 1.4, as this is my first lens to goes that big. But in my hallway, my sigma 17-50 2.8 is much sharper at 2.8 than this sigma 35 1.4 is at 1.4, 2, 2.8... All the way to f8, where camera shake or iso noise was causing other issues...

But outside my hallway, anywhere else so far, has been crazy sharp.

YMMV...

is your hall maybe low contrast or particularly dark

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 05, 2013 00:58 |  #2468
bannedPermanent ban

catchquan wrote in post #15573764 (external link)
Bokeh is probably the only aspect it is not overly dominant in but I wouldn't call the 35L bokeh anything special either anyways.

Not true. See - http://www.youtube.com …Uv0cMWtV5vbNpeH​_A&index=1 (external link)

Sigma owns the 35L in terms of bokeh. 9 rounded aperture blades vs Canon's 8 straight blades.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes

catchquan
209 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 05, 2013 01:37 |  #2469

kin2son wrote in post #15573787 (external link)
Not true. See - http://www.youtube.com …Uv0cMWtV5vbNpeH​_A&index=1 (external link)

Sigma owns the 35L in terms of bokeh. 9 rounded aperture blades vs Canon's 8 straight blades.

I mean, I obviously understand the product specifications. But the bokeh, in my subjective opinion, is not dominating over the 35L's bokeh. I don't find it to be better or worse, just different.

"Look, I'm not an intellectual. I just take pictures"
Canon 5DMKII (Gripped) | Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG HSM | 85 f/1.2L USM ii
| AB800 (3) | 530EX (2) |

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 05, 2013 01:40 |  #2470
bannedPermanent ban

catchquan wrote in post #15573860 (external link)
I don't find it to be better or worse, just different.

If you watch the video, sure it's different because Sigma is a lot smoother :D

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,503 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 05, 2013 09:37 |  #2471

catchquan wrote in post #15573764 (external link)
Short time as in 2 days, probably over 5 hours in both a controlled environment and real world tests? The 35L is far softer across the board at all apertures, center point at f/1.4 is no where near as sharp as the S35 is center point. S35 is sharp form corner to corner (mostly) at f/1.4. Color contrast and saturation is much more desirable than the 35L. Bokeh is probably the only aspect it is not overly dominant in but I wouldn't call the 35L bokeh anything special either anyways.

I'll consider your testing a good test run. What I've seen in my Sigma's is that the issues arise when its a critical moment. From wedding receptions in a mixed lighting situation in a chinese restaurant, Gymnasium's lighting primarily artificial light, overcast day where contrast is dynamic with overhanging tree branches in a forested area, highlights with bright backgrounds while taking portraits etc. Thats only a small example of where a "good" copy of a sigma has severely failed me.

The s35 will be a great competitor when a new 35Lv.2 comes out. Seems all of the new offerings in canon lenses have incredible micro contrast unlike the older sharp lenses. I gather the sigma will be a huge price savings but I'm assuming the canon will be the winner in confident accuracy both 35L and hopefully 35Lmk2.

For example look at the "sharpness" of the 85L and compare it to a 35L and sigma 35mm and a 24Lmk2. The 85L is incredibly sharp but less micro contrast compared to a S35 or 24Lmk2. The 85L and 35L is older tech and seems to have a different sharp look. Newer lenses almost have an "unsharp mask" straight out of the camera making the image extremely crisp.

Realistically speaking the new lenses look better while pixel peeping on the monitor. When you print that is the equalizer and 300dpi will look awesome regardless of S35 or 35L. The zinger is in generalized "talk" the 35L is a proven workhorse that lands the shots with full confidence. So far reading alot of forums there is alot of happy and angry sigma customers.

Since I never buy 3rd party sigma lenses anymore my keeper rate is completely determined by me (user error). I've tragically lost alot of oof memorable shots due to gear determining focus point. Wont touch a sigma 50mm even if it was casual use!!!!!!!

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

Pit
289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 05, 2013 09:57 |  #2472

Why are people here that don't won the lens knock it and believe the owners thata re happy with theirs. I love mine, its absolutely fantastic. Also people pixel peeping on monitors at 200% magnification, umm why? are you gonna print that tiny crop on 8x10"?

Canon EOS 6D, Canon 24-70mm 2.8 Mk I, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS MK II, Sigma 35mm 1.4, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, 600EX-RT, 430EX II, 430EX, Transceivers, Bags, Tripods, Cables, Trigger Trap.

2Live4
671 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 05, 2013 10:04 |  #2473
bannedPermanent ban

Pit wrote in post #15574805 (external link)
Why are people here that don't won the lens knock it and believe the owners thata re happy with theirs. I love mine, its absolutely fantastic. Also people pixel peeping on monitors at 200% magnification, umm why? are you gonna print that tiny crop on 8x10"?

Lol. Most of them don't print pictures, but just pixel peeping and nitpicking every thing they can find at 100-200% magnification.

~Khánh - an amateur bOkeh-OLic
5D III & Some L's
Feedback | flickr (external link)

shep207
213 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 05, 2013 10:15 |  #2474

AlanU wrote in post #15574736 (external link)
The s35 will be a great competitor when a new 35Lv.2 comes out. Seems all of the new offerings in canon lenses have incredible micro contrast unlike the older sharp lenses. I gather the sigma will be a huge price savings but I'm assuming the canon will be the winner in confident accuracy both 35L and hopefully 35Lmk2.

But you're still basing all of your assumptions on past experiences with different Sigma lenses and without even having taken a single photograph with this new 35mm.. Considering you're one of this thread's most opinionated posters, I find it strange that you've not even used the lens yourself..

AlanU wrote in post #15574736 (external link)
So far reading alot of forums there is alot of happy and angry sigma customers.

If you're talking specifically about the 35mm then I'd say that's a huge exaggeration.. From what I've read, there are a few unhappy customers and far more perfectly happy ones.

rjmcinnis
32 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 05, 2013 11:07 |  #2475

Ilovetheleafs wrote in post #15573769 (external link)
is your hall maybe low contrast or particularly dark

I don't think so. At f/1.4 my light meter shows iso 100 SS 100 ambient. It's overhead directional lighting for pointing at artwork.

Interestingly, the glass that covers the bulb says "UV FILTER" on it...

sponsored links

679,358 views & 2 likes for this thread
New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.