Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 13:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG

cheapa55
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 27, 2013 12:15 |  #2656

Arob1000 wrote in post #15654490 (external link)
I'm really glad I ordered mine from Adorama, I talked about my issue a lot earlier in the thread, I almost kept the lens as the problem wasn't horrible but I figured I'd always be unhappy with it knowing there were better copies out there!

What type of test did you do to test the focus? I ordered from Adorama as well and wasn't aware they offered any type of service like that.

sponsored links
Patman99
129 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 27, 2013 12:54 |  #2657

So I joined in the S35 fray. I got one where it needs MA=+8 to focus well, so I'm torn as to whether or not to keep it, or try to return it in the 30-day window. I did shoot with it lot on Sunday in a mix of sunlight shining into a store, and also dealing with flourescent overhead lighting, and can't really determine if I had a focus-shift issue, I'll pore through the photos again and see if I can surmise that this S35 did better in natural light, and perhaps had a focus shift under flourescent light.

Here's a shot I took wide open at F/1.4 in natural daylight, hope it's not too risque, but it was pretty sharp for focusing at about 20 feet away at the young lass, and should have 2.3 feet of DOF in front of the subject, and 3 feet of DOF past the subject, so not too much bokeh going on in this shot.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8514/8513923114_3b45082558_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patcave/8513923​114/  (external link)
PS_24111 (external link) by Patcave (external link), on Flickr

HelenOster
That's me!
4,503 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 27, 2013 13:07 |  #2658

cheapa55 wrote in post #15658027 (external link)
What type of test did you do to test the focus? I ordered from Adorama as well and wasn't aware they offered any type of service like that.

Provided we have both the lens and a demo body in at the same time, we run a series of focussing tests. However, you need to be aware of - and agree to - the following:

• we cannot guarantee 100% that you will not still need to send your own body and lens off to Sigma together for re-calibration, but we are definitely finding that by carrying out these checks beforehand that we've been able to reduce significantly the possibility of this being required

• your purchase will in theory be 'open box', but we will nevertheless need to charge you the full purchase price, as we are only opening it up to provide you with this additional service

• Shipping may be delayed by a couple of days as our DC manager does this himself on request, and needs to fit it into his existing workload.

What you need to do is call or email your order in to Manny in our sales department - mannyn@adorama.com (external link). 800.223.2500 | Local 212.741.0401

Explain to him what you want - he needs to personally forward your order confirmation number for testing so that it doesn't enter the main shipping process.

As far as I am aware, none of the lenses we have tested has had to be returned to us.

El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 27, 2013 15:01 |  #2659

Placebo effect. Adorama says it's good so people then won't go looking for faults. How many per tested lenses have failed prior to shipping?

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 27, 2013 15:04 |  #2660

El Pedro wrote in post #15658569 (external link)
Placebo effect. Adorama says it's good so people then won't go looking for faults. Have many per tested lenses have failed prior to shipping?

I doubt that's true. Makes no sense to me and they are not that kind of company.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 27, 2013 15:30 |  #2661

It's not them it's the end user. Have a look at Patmwns post above, he shoots with it in varying light and seems to be happy with the results but also says he can't determine if he had focus shift issues. Do you think he'd be looking for it if he was shooting a canon lens?

If he can't determine then there is no problem but sounds like he's off to try and find one.

Patman99
129 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 27, 2013 15:46 as a reply to  @ El Pedro's post |  #2662

Well, when the focus is soft at MA = 0, but it tightens up at MA = +8, guess what, I'm going to look for the focus shift issue under different lighting before the return window closes. :)

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 27, 2013 17:28 |  #2663

Patman99 wrote in post #15658758 (external link)
Well, when the focus is soft at MA = 0, but it tightens up at MA = +8, guess what, I'm going to look for the focus shift issue under different lighting before the return window closes. :)

As long as it's consistent at +8, why would it matter? Micro adjustment is to take care of tolerance differences between body and lens combos. Doesn't indicate any issues unless you're getting mixed results or at the extreme ends of the adjustment range.

Neil

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 27, 2013 17:34 |  #2664

Well if it was like mine, it varied from 0 outdoors (perfect at ANY distance) from requiring +9 indoors in artificial lighting almost always (at any distance, again). Identical behavior on two different copies. I never had it happen with the 35L or other fast primes on the same camera body. I tried to deal with it, but it was very annoying to have to hassle so much. I use it equally indoors and out, and don't want to remember to shift my MA values constantly.

Needless to say, I will be trying again ONE more time in a few weeks/months whenever I can get from Amazon directly and have the cash again. Canon did some work on my 5D3 since then and I am curious if that had anything to do with it (like I stated previously), but others have had the same issue so I doubt it was just me.

I pray for a solid copy all around... I WANT this lens to work out. It is that good, I just can't deal with the weird indoor focusing shift. Third time is a charm, I hope.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

aleksandr_petrov
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 27, 2013 19:13 |  #2665

Patman99 wrote in post #15658148 (external link)
So I joined in the S35 fray. I got one where it needs MA=+8 to focus well, so I'm torn as to whether or not to keep it, or try to return it in the 30-day window. I did shoot with it lot on Sunday in a mix of sunlight shining into a store, and also dealing with flourescent overhead lighting, and can't really determine if I had a focus-shift issue, I'll pore through the photos again and see if I can surmise that this S35 did better in natural light, and perhaps had a focus shift under flourescent light.

Here's a shot I took wide open at F/1.4 in natural daylight, hope it's not too risque, but it was pretty sharp for focusing at about 20 feet away at the young lass, and should have 2.3 feet of DOF in front of the subject, and 3 feet of DOF past the subject, so not too much bokeh going on in this shot.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patcave/8513923​114/  (external link)
PS_24111 (external link) by Patcave (external link), on Flickr

I have just received my sig 35, and I know it is going back. It definitely has a focus shift issue. First, I have figured out the proper MFA for short distances. It was +5. At short distances images are great. Then I walked outside, and took a series of images, from a tripod, where the subject kept moving further, stopping, moving further, stopping. I see there is a significant backfocusing issue. When the subject is far, the focus goes even further.

Test your lens well, it will stay with you for long if you keep it, and if it does have issues, they will become evident time later, when it is too late to exchange it.

Also do the ruler test, to test for the focus shift with changing Aperture. This means, keep taking images of a mark on the ruler, and increase aperture. The field of focus will become bigger, but it should stay symmetrical on both sides through out the range. If it shifts as you increase the aperture, there may be an issue with the lens.

I am tired today. I will test the lens more tomorrow. But most likely mine is going back, and I am testing another one.

I had a feeling I should get two lenses at the same time, as I did with the sig 85. Got two, picket the better one, that worked good.

5D Mark 3, Canon 50 1.4, Sig 85 1.4, Sig 35 1.4
2 x DIY barebulb flashes, 1 x Beauty dish, Canon 430 EX

HelenOster
That's me!
4,503 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 28, 2013 05:34 |  #2666

El Pedro wrote in post #15658569 (external link)
.....How many per tested lenses have failed prior to shipping?

I don't know, but memorably someone posted on POTN a couple of months ago that he'd received a Sigma lens from us that had 'defective' on a post-it note on the box. Not surprisingly, he was furious!!

Digging deeper I found that it had come from a batch of 6 lenses which had been tested, in order to fulfil a single order. They'd all been rejected and were sitting on the DC Manager's desk waiting to be shipped back to Sigma with a covering letter.
A new picker saw them, and thinking they'd been mis-placed put them all back into stock - and shortly after one was picked and shipped out.

We wouldn't be allocating resources to this service if we didn't feel that it was worthwhile.

The benefits: customers who can order from us with confidence, and of course reduced costs in terms of the exchange process make it a no-brainer not to offer this service for the foreseeable future.

gviado
139 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 28, 2013 13:45 |  #2667

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

5D MKII - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 - 580ex MKII

Patman99
129 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 01, 2013 14:38 as a reply to  @ gviado's post |  #2668

After reviewing some shots under mainly fluorescent lighting, shot wide open, at 1/60 second, I'm getting soft focus or blur, a little puzzling. Shooting with tungsten modeling lamp (for focus-assist) and strobes from F/4-F/13 (1/160 second), it's really sharp at MA = +8, though. 1 week with the lens has passed. Will try to replicate the problematic conditions (set MA back to 0 when shooting under fluorescent lighting).

Jaytypes
443 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 01, 2013 16:00 |  #2669

I'm on my third copy and unfortunately I need a fourth, not because of AF but because today I went to exchange one at B&H and they gave me one that had been used!!

I opened the box when I got home and the first thing I noticed was that when i removed the rear cap it had a whole bunch of fingerprints on the back glass.

It also seems to have been dropped or something because there are marks on the edge of the lip right where you mount the lens hood.

I called them right away and was a little disappointed because the guy who exchanged it for me didn't even give me a new order number he just put swapped.

I guess I will be back on Sunday.

Just a note this is the first time I have ever had a problem with B&H

Canon 5D MKIII X2
24L, 85L, 24-70 2.8L MKII, 70-200 2.8 MKII 600EXRT,
Macbook Pro 13.3, Macbook Pro 15 I7, IMac 27 I5

mrsamo
86 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 02, 2013 18:20 |  #2670

Osiriz wrote in post #15649134 (external link)
Pic 1: 15-85
pic 2: Rokkinon
Pic 3: Sigma

Not quite!

sponsored links

681,607 views & 2 likes for this thread
New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.