Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 13:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 18, 2014 13:50 |  #3571

JoseCanseco wrote in post #17279506 (external link)
Thanks Snake. So once I establish a MA value for infinity, should I load that to the lens through the dock before testing other distances?

i'm confused by the implications of your statement... but just to clarify here, your canon body's units of measurements of MA is not the same as the dock's software's. so, if you set +5 on your body, that is not the same as +5 on the dock. so, in regards to your statement, don't touch the body's MA at all--it should be 0 at all times. you set in the dock first then test to see if your guess is correct.

if i were you, to avoid the possibility of adjustments of one distance range affecting others, i would go in order from closest or farthest, setting all the unadjusted values to the same as what you just adjusted. in other words i'd do this:

0. make sure your body's MA is set to 0 for wide and tele if supported.
1. start 0-0-0-0 on dock
2. then set arbitrarily to 5-5-5-5.
3. retest and readjust as needed. say arriving at 7-7-7-7.
4. then repeat with the next range: 7-3-3-3.
5. then 7-3-0-0.
6. then 7-3-0-1.
7. then retest all ranges over again.

like that.

ideally, you should do this in lighting similar to what you'd typically encounter. just fyi, some of my canon lenses also change focus depending on lighting, especially big aperture primes. so it's not just a sigma thing. i think it's just how canon's af works. also, it appears full frame cameras like the 5d3 have more problems with outside points--probably due to lens distortions being more significant the farther from center.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

sponsored links
JoseCanseco
689 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 18, 2014 19:58 |  #3572

Xyclopx - I'm not changing the MA on the body, just in the lens via usb dock. I don't understand arbitrarily setting random adjustment values and constantly retesting, that seems like it would take forever.

My name is Jeff, not actually Jose Canseco.
Website (external link) Facebook (external link) Flickr (external link)

devh
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 24, 2014 11:21 |  #3573

Xyclopx wrote in post #17279791 (external link)
i'm confused by the implications of your statement... but just to clarify here, your canon body's units of measurements of MA is not the same as the dock's software's. so, if you set +5 on your body, that is not the same as +5 on the dock.

I went ahead and tried the Dottune ML method of adjustment this weekend with great results.
I want to clarify something and that is the Canon units of measurements are exactly the same as the Sigma docks. I was literally in disbelief on how easy it was to tune compared to Focal. The 35A was registering all of the conformation points. It turns out there is a bug in the program and the walk around is to register the lens in the canon menu first and it worked great. Most will not have this problem but I did.

I think people that are getting inconsistent results is mainly due to the set up and target choice.

Here is my method.
1. I would use a halogen light or something that comes close to daylight color temps. I would avoid using florescent light at all costs.

2. Make sure the camera is straight and square to the wall. The set up of the camera to the target is probably the hardest part.

3. The trick to getting a good result is using the bob Atkins test chart. You will see various sizes of horizontal/vertical lines. The trick is to fill at max zoom one of the targets. For the fist focal point for the 35A I used target 5.6 and then worked my way up to a larger target as I moved back to the next focal length. The only thing you cant tune is the infinity focus. Maybe a brick wall would be ideal for this.

4. I use the live view method of phase detection auto focus as I have found that it's accurate. Basically you are synchronizing the phase detect with the in camera AF. If you don't have phase detect then adjust the focus as best as you can manually until you see jagged lines in live view.

5. Use the Dottune method and get your reading. Then shift the camera a little and realign and refocus for a second reading to see if the number stays consistent. If it does then enter the number into the lens using the dock. Retest the lens twice as you have done to the first reading to see if it gives you a micro-focus adjustment of zero and that it stays consistent. At worse you will be off by 1 and if so retest.

6. After it's done then shoot a good number of photos of spray cans at different lengths using phase detect if you have it and normal AF and compare the two.
If the phase detect is sharper then the AF then it's back to the drawing board.

This method has worked great for me and is spot on. It also confirmed one of the lenses I tested with Focal two years ago was correct which gave me confidence in the method.

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 24, 2014 23:10 as a reply to  @ devh's post |  #3574

Alright, I've been playing with my 35A on my 7D for a while now. Within 12 feet or so it seems to always nail the focus. The exception is, for some reason it has trouble focusing on a canon battery charger plugged into the wall...no idea if its just the darkness or the unit or what but it doesn't like it. I seem to have more issues focusing at further distances. Sometimes it hits without issue, sometimes it leaves you saying wtf? Anybody have this issue and know whether its fixable via dock or what?

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

devh
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 24, 2014 23:53 |  #3575

Sdiver2489 wrote in post #17291646 (external link)
Alright, I've been playing with my 35A on my 7D for a while now. Within 12 feet or so it seems to always nail the focus. The exception is, for some reason it has trouble focusing on a canon battery charger plugged into the wall...no idea if its just the darkness or the unit or what but it doesn't like it. I seem to have more issues focusing at further distances. Sometimes it hits without issue, sometimes it leaves you saying wtf? Anybody have this issue and know whether its fixable via dock or what?

I have no problem with the lens locking focus on my 5Dmk2 even in light that is less then ideal. However just because it locks focus doesn't mean it will be sharp out of the box. My close to infinity and infinity focus was off but I was able to correct it using the software. Save yourself the trouble and frustration and get the dock then use Dottune.
I wish Canon had something similar.

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
2,845 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 05, 2014 20:13 |  #3576

Finally got my dock and it is for sure a fun piece of software. Things seem pretty good...the only issue I am having is the lens seems to have two personalities with at least one target I've been using to simulate close to infinity focus...with the new setting dialed in it will hit most all the time but randomly it seems to front focus sometimes...more testing needed to determine if its just the camera locking on to something in the foreground!

Seems much better with the dock though! Have the lens at 0MFA now and no longer does it seem to vary depending on subject distance!

Please visit my Flickr (external link) and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II-RT, Canon 600EX II-RT

sponsored links

673,862 views & 2 likes for this thread
New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.