Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Stuff Photography Industry News 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 14:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

LEICA Announces New Products!

dolina
Cream of the Crop
5,576 posts
Gallery: 749 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 22, 2012 12:33 |  #61

Wow! I've seen the image quality and it is outstanding!

Visit my Flickr (external link), Facebook (external link) & 500px (external link) and see my photos. :)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 22, 2012 12:37 |  #62

IMO the problem with the monochrome version is the lack of live view or another form of TTL preview, which makes it very difficult to use with filters.

I don't think I've ever done a monochrome conversion without applying a colour filter to it first, to accentiate certain aspects of the image. Sometimes more than one, to different parts of the image. Without a through-the-lens preview, you just can't tell how the photo will turn out with the filter - you just need to take the shot, then chimp afterwards...

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 22, 2012 12:39 |  #63

dolina wrote in post #15028256 (external link)
Wow! I've seen the image quality and it is outstanding!

IQ of the Leica M?

I'd like to see what Sony and Fujifilm come up with over the next year, in terms of full-frame mirrorless sensors, as well as DxO's DR tests...

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
37,629 posts
Gallery: 179 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 22, 2012 12:47 |  #64

Shadowblade wrote in post #15028270 (external link)
IMO the problem with the monochrome version is the lack of live view or another form of TTL preview, which makes it very difficult to use with filters.

I don't think I've ever done a monochrome conversion without applying a colour filter to it first, to accentiate certain aspects of the image. Sometimes more than one, to different parts of the image. Without a through-the-lens preview, you just can't tell how the photo will turn out with the filter - you just need to take the shot, then chimp afterwards...

All reason I want one. Is really hard for those that haven't worked a lot with a rangefinder to understand the appeal. Theres not a better street camera made than a range finder and Leica about as good as it gets. The fact you have an actual aperture adjustment on the lens and a shutter speed dial on the camera is a plus fro me.

Just like shooting with B&W film you learn how the filters work and how much a red filter vs an orange filter vs a yellow filter effects the end result.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 22, 2012 12:52 |  #65

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15028292 (external link)
All reason I want one. Is really hard for those that haven't worked a lot with a rangefinder to understand the appeal. Theres not a better street camera made than a range finder and Leica about as good as it gets. The fact you have an actual aperture adjustment on the lens and a shutter speed dial on the camera is a plus fro me.

Just like shooting with B&W film you learn how the filters work and how much a red filter vs an orange filter vs a yellow filter effects the end result.

When you shoot with b&w film, you put the coloured filter over the lens, then you can see its effect either in the viewfinder (for SLRs) or on the ground glass (for large format). I can't recall too many rangefinder shooters sticking coloured filters in front of their lenses, or GNDs or polarisers, for that matter - without TTL image preview, it's just too difficult to gauge their effect.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
37,629 posts
Gallery: 179 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 22, 2012 12:54 |  #66

Shadowblade wrote in post #15028273 (external link)
IQ of the Leica M?

I'd like to see what Sony and Fujifilm come up with over the next year, in terms of full-frame mirrorless sensors, as well as DxO's DR tests...

The Leica m monochromes IQ pretty much destroys any other 135 format camera made plus better DR.
http://www.reddotforum​.com …-Leica-M-Monochrom-Review (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 22, 2012 13:04 |  #67

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15028312 (external link)
The Leica m monochores IQ pretty much destroys any other 135 format camera made.
http://www.reddotforum​.com …-Leica-M-Monochrom-Review (external link)

I meant the Leica M colour.

The mono might be sharper, but that doesn't help if 99% of what you shoot is colour - highly-saturated landscapes are my trademark, and I specifically seek out the lighting and weather conditions to get them!

If only someone would release a full-frame, high-resolution Foveon sensor - Sigma's 15MP, 1.7x crop sensor would make for a 43.35MP full-frame sensor, with unsurpassed IQ at low ISOs. I'm sure Canon can afford to buy up the technology - with their R&D strencth, it might finally give them the edge over the Exmor. At low ISOs at first, in a high MP landscape/studio body, then maybe at high ISO later on (when the Exmor-type sensors first came out, e.g. in the D3x and A900, their high-ISO capability wasn't too great either).

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 22, 2012 13:06 |  #68

dolina wrote in post #15028141 (external link)
Julian & Allen are you both getting the M or M-E?

The M would be my choice but, Allen sees in monochrome. ;) I'm gonna wait to see what the M's performance is like before jumping on one.The lens decision is difficult since I like the spec of the 50 f2 Summicron and 16-18-21 Tri-Elmar.

J_TULLAR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 22, 2012 13:12 |  #69

Shadowblade wrote in post #15028339 (external link)
I meant the Leica M colour.

The mono might be sharper, but that doesn't help if 99% of what you shoot is colour - highly-saturated landscapes are my trademark, and I specifically seek out the lighting and weather conditions to get them!

If only someone would release a full-frame, high-resolution Foveon sensor - Sigma's 15MP, 1.7x crop sensor would make for a 43.35MP full-frame sensor, with unsurpassed IQ at low ISOs. I'm sure Canon can afford to buy up the technology - with their R&D strencth, it might finally give them the edge over the Exmor. At low ISOs at first, in a high MP landscape/studio body, then maybe at high ISO later on (when the Exmor-type sensors first came out, e.g. in the D3x and A900, their high-ISO capability wasn't too great either).

Like everyone has already said to you, buy a D800 already yeesh....

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 22, 2012 13:34 |  #70

J_TULLAR wrote in post #15028367 (external link)
Like everyone has already said to you, buy a D800 already yeesh....

I'm waiting to see what they do with their next high-resolution body before I sell $50k worth of Canon gear. Also, Nikon's upcoming 17mm tilt-shift, and whether they update their 24mm tilt shift and the 14-24 foor the new, high-resolution sensors.

J_TULLAR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 22, 2012 13:47 |  #71

Shadowblade wrote in post #15028435 (external link)
I'm waiting to see what they do with their next high-resolution body before I sell $50k worth of Canon gear. Also, Nikon's upcoming 17mm tilt-shift, and whether they update their 24mm tilt shift and the 14-24 foor the new, high-resolution sensors.

HA! Then theres just no making you happy, sucks to be you lol.

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

dolina
Cream of the Crop
5,576 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 22, 2012 22:02 |  #72

Shadowblade wrote in post #15028273 (external link)
IQ of the Leica M?

Those are but rumors. I all expect them to offer these mystical mirrorless full framers for ballpark of $3,000.

On that note I really like the RX1 but Sony supporting more than two lens systems is.... wishful thinking?

Visit my Flickr (external link), Facebook (external link) & 500px (external link) and see my photos. :)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,429 posts
Gallery: 610 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 23, 2012 02:56 |  #73

dolina wrote in post #15029804 (external link)
Those are but rumors. I all expect them to offer these mystical mirrorless full framers for ballpark of $3,000.

On that note I really like the RX1 but Sony supporting more than two lens systems is.... wishful thinking?

Well apparently the NEX mount itself can accomidate an FF sensor...

http://photorumors.com …-are-possible/#more-32904 (external link)

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

dolina
Cream of the Crop
5,576 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 23, 2012 12:02 |  #74

KenjiS wrote in post #15030491 (external link)
Well apparently the NEX mount itself can accomidate an FF sensor...

http://photorumors.com …-are-possible/#more-32904 (external link)

The full frame Sony video cams that can accept E lenses operate in crop mode in the same way as Nikon DX lenses work on the D800. It can only work in full frame mode when attached to an Alpha lens.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 23, 2012 19:58 |  #75

andrikos wrote in post #15017986 (external link)
$1 per ISO point.

Leica is fast becoming a value product! :D

only $6,000 and it's all yours

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

8,755 views & 0 likes for this thread, 16 members have posted to it.
LEICA Announces New Products!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Stuff Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.