Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Sep 2012 (Tuesday) 05:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looked at G15 - but will price of G12 drop?

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 18, 2012 05:38 |  #1

I was just about to get a G12 - when G15 is announced!

Was very tempted, but I really like the articulated screen - so I wonder if/when prices for G12 will drop.

Gear List

sponsored links
Paprika
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 18, 2012 06:19 |  #2

I think the G12 will be cheaper now. Only time will tell

Friv (external link)

XBGM3R
196 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 18, 2012 10:56 |  #3

hania wrote in post #15007857 (external link)

Was very tempted, but I really like the articulated screen - so I wonder if/when prices for G12 will drop.

keep your eyes on bestbuy's weekly ad for canon sale/ cleanrace if best buy is in UK. Good luck! ;)

| P&S: A610 & G12 (external link)| EOS Body: 7NE, 30D & M (external link), SL1 | EF 75-300 III USM| TAMRON [177DE] AF 28-80 ASPH | EF-S 18-55 USM | EF 40 STM | EFM 22 STM |

Gil ­ Bean
515 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 18, 2012 13:35 |  #4

MOVED TO G15 ANNOUNCED

G3, G6, G12, T2i + kit lens & accoutrements

Dmab
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 18, 2012 14:16 |  #5

Gil Bean wrote in post #15009798 (external link)
Saw Canon's and dpreview's article on the G15. IMHO, I feel they took 1 step forward and 3 back. Nothing here to warrant upgrading my G12. Non-articulated screen, no ISO dial. I am simply not impressed, not at all.

Gil

You never know, the image quality might be better at high ISO which would be very impressive. That's something to look for, IMHO. If IQ is a wash, than I agree with you.

Dan
=======
Gear List

Gil ­ Bean
515 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 18, 2012 14:37 as a reply to  @ Dmab's post |  #6

MOVED TO G15 ANNOUNCED

G3, G6, G12, T2i + kit lens & accoutrements

alonsovicsusb
36 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 20, 2012 00:44 |  #7

The G15 looks pretty sweet and has all features just as any DSLR camera has. With this released, I am pretty sure the G12 will drop the price down.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 22, 2012 19:25 |  #8

Get the G15.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 22, 2012 21:19 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #9

Get a used G11, image quality will be the same without the bell's and whistles.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 22, 2012 22:09 |  #10

tmwag wrote in post #15029667 (external link)
Get a used G11, image quality will be the same without the bell's and whistles.

On a bright, sunny day outside...maybe.

Otherwise, the G15 is immensely superior. They have the same zoom range, but the G11 is a slow f2.8-4.5 while the G15 is a best-G-yet f1.8-2.8 (that's a MASSIVE improvement), it has a better CMOS sensor (vs. the old CCD) capable of two more stops of ISO (do the math, with the lens improvements that means that the G15 is capable in shooting in roughly ONE TENTH the light), newer DIGIC5 processor, not to mention the effects the fast lens will have on shallow DOF shooting.

Furthermore, the screen is massively improved (921k dot 3" vs. 461k dot 2.8"), the G15 does HD video, the G11 makes do with 640x480, etc, etc...the G15 is superior to the G11 in pretty much every conceivable way.

-=Gear=-

Hybrid_Flyer
104 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 23, 2012 00:15 |  #11

hania wrote in post #15007857 (external link)

Buy a G15 if you don't like it I will trade you my G12 for it

60D, Canon 20mm 2.8, Canon 28-200, Sigma 15mm 2.8 ex dg, Sigma 24-70 2.8 ex dg.

And Other Stuff :p

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 23, 2012 09:18 |  #12

G12 prices will drop on the spot market and then rise again when some folks decide that they will hemmorage if they dont have a swivel screen and an ISO knob. Same thing happened when G6 was a popular choice when G7 lost the swivel screen and raw processing. For some time there you could buy a G7 for less than a G6.

I am going to sell my G12 for 300 to get the G15 at its release price. You can wait a year for price drops or a couple years for a new model to replace it if you want but Im going to enjoy the new features meanwhile.

Now if I had to replace all my G12 accessories and lenses just to go to a G15 they could stick it, but fortunately body upgrade is all that is required.

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 23, 2012 15:10 |  #13

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15029834 (external link)
On a bright, sunny day outside...maybe.

Otherwise, the G15 is immensely superior. They have the same zoom range, but the G11 is a slow f2.8-4.5 while the G15 is a best-G-yet f1.8-2.8 (that's a MASSIVE improvement), it has a better CMOS sensor (vs. the old CCD) capable of two more stops of ISO (do the math, with the lens improvements that means that the G15 is capable in shooting in roughly ONE TENTH the light), newer DIGIC5 processor, not to mention the effects the fast lens will have on shallow DOF shooting.

Furthermore, the screen is massively improved (921k dot 3" vs. 461k dot 2.8"), the G15 does HD video, the G11 makes do with 640x480, etc, etc...the G15 is superior to the G11 in pretty much every conceivable way.

Except price, I guess I've soured a bit on the G-series. My G11 had acceptable images up to 400 ISO. I really don't see the point at all anymore (with G series) when you can get a used DLSR (T2i, T3i) which is slightly larger(physical size), larger sensor, image quality most likely equal or better to a G15 ... interchangeable lens...I used to be a big fan of the G series but have fallen off the bandwagon I suppose. G1x or it's successor is way more interesting.

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 23, 2012 17:01 |  #14

I wont be selling the G12 after all. I see that I have to get new adaptors for my lenses and that just broke that back of my idea. Ill stick with the G12 for now.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 24, 2012 01:51 |  #15

tmwag wrote in post #15032188 (external link)
Except price, I guess I've soured a bit on the G-series. My G11 had acceptable images up to 400 ISO. I really don't see the point at all anymore (with G series) when you can get a used DLSR (T2i, T3i) which is slightly larger(physical size), larger sensor, image quality most likely equal or better to a G15 ... interchangeable lens...I used to be a big fan of the G series but have fallen off the bandwagon I suppose. G1x or it's successor is way more interesting.

Umm..."slightly larger physical size" I'll bet you the T2i/T3i with the kit lens will take up two-three times the volume a G15 does, weigh more and you'll have a camera that has inferior zoom, with less on both the wide and the long ends, a significantly slower lens...AND you'll get roughly the same IQ. Hmm...somehow it doesn't seem like the right kind of comparison.

I, too, fell off the G-wagon (used to have a G7 and then a G9) and have no plans to return...but I think the G15 is a great little camera. At least on paper. As for the G1X...The speed of that lens is so far behind what it should be that I just stop caring about that camera as soon as I see those specs.

-=Gear=-

sponsored links

6,099 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looked at G15 - but will price of G12 drop?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.