Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 18 Sep 2012 (Tuesday) 10:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Musing on the 6D vs D600... And Canon in General right now

john0213
117 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 23, 2012 09:36 as a reply to  @ post 15025947 |  #61

just want to correct a few things:

d600 is in fact using a different af system compare to d7000
the d600 Af system supports auto focus down to f8 whereas d7000 does not.

70-200 f4:
i am not sure if i am giving a valid suggestion but you can also look at these two lens that are similarly priced to the Canon 70-200 f4 is, the Nikon af-d 80-200 f2.8 and the af-s 80-200 f2.8.

yes they both don't have IS and are heavy lenses, but you do get a faster Lens.

+++++++++++++++
My photo Blog, the road to success!!
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/inagawa/ (external link)
+++++++++++++++

sponsored links
andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 23, 2012 10:56 |  #62

For what it's worth, I played with both cameras at Photokina (albeit only for about 5 minutes each) and I'll have to say, despite the specs, the 6D's AF seem to snap to focus faster and in much dimmer light than that of the D600.

Having said that, I'm sure the D600 is a spectacular camera, but AF performance is definitely NOT the reason to make me want to switch over to Nikon.

I say both companies make fantastic products and jumping over to the other side won't result in better pictures necessarily...

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 23, 2012 11:21 |  #63

andrikos wrote in post #15031485 (external link)
For what it's worth, I played with both cameras at Photokina (albeit only for about 5 minutes each) and I'll have to say, despite the specs, the 6D's AF seem to snap to focus faster and in much dimmer light than that of the D600.

Having said that, I'm sure the D600 is a spectacular camera, but AF performance is definitely NOT the reason to make me want to switch over to Nikon.

I say both companies make fantastic products and jumping over to the other side won't result in better pictures necessarily...

Just the centre point, or the peripheral points as well? How well did they track moving subjects in less-dim conditions?

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 23, 2012 12:27 |  #64

andrikos wrote in post #15031485 (external link)

What lens did you use? The glass makes a big difference. If it was the kit lens (24-85), the performance would be so-so. Throw on a G lens like the 24-70 and it locks very quickly.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 23, 2012 12:32 |  #65

Shadowblade wrote in post #15031550 (external link)
Just the centre point, or the peripheral points as well? How well did they track moving subjects in less-dim conditions?

I was doing some experimenting in low light and the D600 AF is very quick. My 50 1.8 G which is a budget lens has trouble locking focus. I throw on a 24-70 G, 70-200 VR 2, 85 1.4 G, 14-24, and they all lock quickly in low light. You really need good glass.

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 23, 2012 12:50 |  #66

jdizzle wrote in post #15031736 (external link)
What lens did you use? The glass makes a big difference. If it was the kit lens (24-85), the performance would be so-so. Throw on a G lens like the 24-70 and it locks very quickly.

Both cameras had the 24-70s.
The 24-70L II feels really good on the 6D.

It was centerpoint for both cameras, I didn't have time to play with all the focus points.

I guess my point was that both cameras are good and great value for the money (cheap FF)

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 23, 2012 12:53 |  #67

andrikos wrote in post #15031797 (external link)
Both cameras had the 24-70s.
The 24-70L II feels really good on the 6D.

It was centerpoint for both cameras, I didn't have time to play with all the focus points.

I guess my point was that both cameras are good and great value for the money (cheap FF)

Cheap sounds dirty. Inexpensive sounds better. ;)

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,362 posts
Gallery: 550 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 23, 2012 22:16 |  #68

john0213 wrote in post #15031251 (external link)
70-200 f4:
i am not sure if i am giving a valid suggestion but you can also look at these two lens that are similarly priced to the Canon 70-200 f4 is, the Nikon af-d 80-200 f2.8 and the af-s 80-200 f2.8.

yes they both don't have IS and are heavy lenses, but you do get a faster Lens.

IS is important to me, I do use the lens stopped down for depth of field sometimes, Preferably, Id want f/2.8 + IS/VR in my lens, I got the f/4 because its what I could afford at the time and it fits with my future ideas on Canon (IE, I want a 120-300 OS! :D the 70-200 f/4L IS fits in as an excellent lightweight complement to that massive thing..)

Anyways on a side note, On tuesday ill be stopping by a local best buy for other stuff and they have the D600 in stock, I will take a look at it and give my 2 cents on it...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 24, 2012 21:21 |  #69

i think people have boring mundane lives and really don't have a lot going on. so they have to much time on their hands. they could be out in their communities and neighborhoods making a difference (even taking free portraits of their neighbors to get better) but yet here they are on an online forum, getting their heart rates up complaining over a camera (or lens) and coming off as they should be product engineers or marketing experts over at canon.

they could be practicing their craft to be the greatest photographer on the planet, but yet, they are here talking about cameras they will never own, have no clue about, and about jobs they'll never be qualified for.

maybe in some regards that is what is good about the internet. you can pretend to be an expert at anything and if you pretend long enough, eventually some people will believe you.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,471 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 24, 2012 22:00 |  #70

bigcountry wrote in post #15038128 (external link)
i think people have boring mundane lives and really don't have a lot going on. so they have to much time on their hands. they could be out in their communities and neighborhoods making a difference (even taking free portraits of their neighbors to get better) but yet here they are on an online forum, getting their heart rates up complaining over a camera (or lens) and coming off as they should be product engineers or marketing experts over at canon.

they could be practicing their craft to be the greatest photographer on the planet, but yet, they are here talking about cameras they will never own, have no clue about, and about jobs they'll never be qualified for.

maybe in some regards that is what is good about the internet. you can pretend to be an expert at anything and if you pretend long enough, eventually some people will believe you.

That's unkind. You know what I wish people on the Internet would do? Be kind. :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 24, 2012 22:24 |  #71

bigcountry wrote in post #15038128 (external link)

He says, on an online forum. ;)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 24, 2012 22:34 |  #72

He could have made a difference in his community with those several thousand of posts :).

Sirrith wrote in post #15038351 (external link)
He says, on an online forum. ;)

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,362 posts
Gallery: 550 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 25, 2012 01:12 |  #73

I go out and shoot and practice and still discuss gear ;)

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

borism
Goldmember
3,415 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 27, 2012 14:06 |  #74

One thing that I really like from the Nikon D600 are two things (I am not sure for the rest but for me these are pretty important differences )

One is the possibility to turn the camera into CROP mode.. I think that is genius , I for example love the crop for my sport shooting, giving reach to more normal lens and effectively doubling the use and flexibility of the lens and body, I think that is pretty cool

Second: The pop up flash, I know everyone says that they will NEVEEeeeR!! use the pop up flash, but the truth is for me , that in many occasional parties and reunions I use the pop up flash as a life saver when I am not carrying my extra flash AND I use my Command flash quite often I must say for firing my flash Off Camera

I am sure that both 6D and D600 will be amazing cameras taking fantastic fotos, but I will confess that the Nikon offering looks very sexy to me
Is that enough to Jump Ship? not at this time, I have a few lens and for my application is working nicely
but I will be looking a the reviews and comparison of both cameras closely

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,428 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 27, 2012 15:21 |  #75

borism wrote in post #15050637 (external link)
One is the possibility to turn the camera into CROP mode.. I think that is genius , I for example love the crop for my sport shooting, giving reach to more normal lens and effectively doubling the use and flexibility of the lens and body, I think that is pretty cool

You do realize that this can be done with any camera right? Nikon does not yet have the magic to re-arrange it's sensels thus providing a much higher pixel density which would put more pixels on the target. All they do is crop the center part of their sensor and write it to a file. You can do exactly the same thing with any Canon camera by cropping the portion of the picture you want. Whats more, say you want a 4/3ds frame, you can do that with any Canon camera as well.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

34,563 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Musing on the 6D vs D600... And Canon in General right now
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.