Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 18 Sep 2012 (Tuesday) 10:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Musing on the 6D vs D600... And Canon in General right now

borism
Goldmember
3,415 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 29, 2012 19:45 |  #91

gqtuazon wrote in post #15058985 (external link)
I use a D800E and I've used it with our local HS football games. I use DX mode often in order to reduce the file sized that I get when shooting at full frame. One of the advantage in using the DX mode means that I don't need to crop it during post and amplify any noise when shooting at night.

@ approximately 16mp in DX mode, I still get plenty of resolution. Some of the RAW files can even be as high as 46mp in DX mode.

The unique feature that I like about the camera with the four (4) custom image areas that it offers when using my Nikon 28mm f1.8G lens are:
a. I get a 28mm full frame field of view (36 x24)
b. 33.6 mm FOV in 1.2x mode (30x20)
c. 42mm in DX or 1.5x mode (24x16)
d. The other image area is 5:4 mode (30x24)

This makes it a good walk-around lens to take landscapes or group photos. It may be a little hard to understand if you haven't tried it but I love this feature.

Nice!

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

sponsored links
echo
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 30, 2012 04:08 |  #92

I've not spotted this thread before so in answer to the original points about Nikon not having lenses 'man enough' for the 36 MP sensor is a little bit incorrect. I have had and used loads of good Canon glass and have recently been using Nikon's glass on the 800e and have nothing but good words to say, from my experience where there are equivalents the Nikon wins noticeably but as others point out there is no 70-200 f/4 etc.

I still prefer the Canon way of doing things :)

http://www.RecordProdu​ction.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/RecordProduction (external link)

gqtuazon
756 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 30, 2012 10:02 |  #93

echo wrote in post #15060055 (external link)
I've not spotted this thread before so in answer to the original points about Nikon not having lenses 'man enough' for the 36 MP sensor is a little bit incorrect. I have had and used loads of good Canon glass and have recently been using Nikon's glass on the 800e and have nothing but good words to say, from my experience where there are equivalents the Nikon wins noticeably but as others point out there is no 70-200 f/4 etc.

There are a lot of opinions posted here that are just plain wrong especially coming from people who have not even tried the other cameras.

Regards,
Glenn
My Gear
Flickr (external link)
My website (external link)

Jay-Bird
804 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 30, 2012 19:41 |  #94

[Qoute]But for now, Nikon is winning, Their camera is shipping, and soon the internet will be flooded with cat pictures taken by the D600 while we wait patiently for Canon to give us some more samples[/qoute]

Hahaha!

Very well said, I will probably be getting a 6D. I was dissapointed at first but then started logically thinking about how I use my camera. I rarely shoot high burst shots, I usually keep only the center point on and I rarely shoot video.

I too, derided the 60D when it came out, and guess what, I have a 60D, and love it. I had a 20D, so I thought I would miss the magnesium case. Do I take photos in Afganistan? Heck no, the 60D is plenty durable. Do I shoot in the rain or snow? I live in southern New Mexico, the only white stuff on the ground is a national monument. The camera does exactly what I need. I think the 6D will be the same.

Facebook:https://www.facebook.c​om/ZeroedInPhotography (external link)
http://www.zeroedinpho​tography.wordpress.com (external link)

kevindar
Cream of the Crop
5,050 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 01, 2012 02:11 |  #95

Kenji, some interesting thoughts.
There is one thing that we are pretty certain about. d600 will easily beat 6d if FPS, and dynamic range. spec wise it also has a better autofocus, but I agree thats just on paper, and 6D may indeed perform better. right now, more than anything else, canon's problem is the sensor. I would be extremely happy with 5d3 if it even had the d600 sensor. I am not even asking for the d800 sensor (though that would have been awesome)

My Flickr (external link)
Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205576

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,134 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 01, 2012 11:06 |  #96

gqtuazon wrote in post #15058985 (external link)
I use a D800E and I've used it with our local HS football games. I use DX mode often in order to reduce the file size that I get when shooting at full frame. One of the advantages in using the DX mode means that I don't need to crop it during post and amplify any noise when shooting at night.

@ approximately 16mp in DX mode, I still get plenty of resolution. Some of the RAW files can even be as high as 46mp in DX mode.

The unique feature that I like about the camera with the four (4) custom image areas that it offers when using my Nikon 28mm f1.8G lens are:
a. I get a 28mm full frame field of view (36 x24)
b. 33.6 mm FOV in 1.2x mode (30x20)
c. 42mm in DX or 1.5x mode (24x16)
d. The other image area is 5:4 mode (30x24)

This makes it a good walk-around lens to take landscapes or group photos. It may be a little hard to understand if you haven't tried it but I love this feature.

seems like an amazing feature, but how does it look in the viewfinder? If only there were a better way of managing the file sizes... the D600 would be a much more manageable solution if it can do those dx modes.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,362 posts
Gallery: 550 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 02, 2012 00:39 |  #97

woos wrote in post #15058399 (external link)
Hmmm, I don't think so. The 6d is way way more crippled than the D600. The 6d doesn't even have dual card slots.

If the 6d had dual card slots and a movable screen it'd be tops. But it doesn't. The 60d worked because it had the best canon aps-c sensor (less banding than 7d), plus the movable screen. The 6d has uhh...wireless, which IS cool. However, not as useful in the field imho, as a movable screen. :P The 6d will take great pics, I'm sure...but it does seem like they simply added as little as they thought they could get away with.

Dual card slots... Eh... unless you're a pro wanting redundancy im still not getting the point of it... UNLESS it had a CF and an SD slot for those of us who dont want to go rebuy 4-5 cards...

Tilty flippy screens require more effort to seal, Which means a higher price, So you have one of two things, Either poor weather sealing around the screen or a price that would end up $200-300 higher putting it that much closer to the 5DIII

Also as for wireless... you can use the wifi and then use your Android or iOS smartphone as a remote viewfinder which actually kinda removes the need for the tilty flippy screen to me...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,362 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 02, 2012 00:41 |  #98

echo wrote in post #15060055 (external link)

I admit i had bad or incomplete data there... Alright ;)

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,899 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Oct 02, 2012 03:20 |  #99

KenjiS wrote in post #15068253 (external link)
Dual card slots... Eh... unless you're a pro wanting redundancy im still not getting the point of it... UNLESS it had a CF and an SD slot for those of us who dont want to go rebuy 4-5 cards...

Tilty flippy screens require more effort to seal, Which means a higher price, So you have one of two things, Either poor weather sealing around the screen or a price that would end up $200-300 higher putting it that much closer to the 5DIII

Also as for wireless... you can use the wifi and then use your Android or iOS smartphone as a remote viewfinder which actually kinda removes the need for the tilty flippy screen to me...

ssshhh your starting to make sense

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

gqtuazon
756 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 02, 2012 05:01 |  #100

Charlie wrote in post #15065046 (external link)
seems like an amazing feature, but how does it look in the viewfinder? If only there were a better way of managing the file sizes... the D600 would be a much more manageable solution if it can do those dx modes.

The DX mode feature have been available since the Nikon D3 and D700. The 1.2x crop mode became available with the newer FX cameras. You have "gridlines" on the view finder when using these features. On live view, it is automatically displayed to the selected feature.

There are options that you can use in order to manage the RAW files: lossless compressed, compressed and uncompressed 14bit RAW files. On average, I can get a 42mb, 47mb or 74mb RAW files on FX mode. It is much reduced in DX mode.

Regards,
Glenn
My Gear
Flickr (external link)

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 02, 2012 06:23 |  #101

gqtuazon wrote in post #15068667 (external link)
The DX mode feature have been available since the Nikon D3 and D700. The 1.2x crop mode became available with the newer FX cameras. You have "gridlines" on the view finder when using these features. On live view, it is automatically displayed to the selected feature.

There are options that you can use in order to manage the RAW files: lossless compressed, compressed and uncompressed 14bit RAW files. On average, I can get a 42mb, 47mb or 74mb RAW files on FX mode. It is much reduced in DX mode.

Perhaps with all those modes it is a shame they did not add an sRAW mode, you know, for all those family times when 18MP or so will do?

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

gqtuazon
756 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 02, 2012 06:46 |  #102

Neilyb wrote in post #15068787 (external link)
Perhaps with all those modes it is a shame they did not add an sRAW mode, you know, for all those family times when 18MP or so will do?

Why bother? I have a 16mp camera if I need smaller files. People who buys a 36mp camera knows what they are getting into. 2tb hard drives are cheap and the resolution that you get from the files are just simply amazing and it is on its own league in the DSLR category (for now).

By the way, what is the difference between a sRAW and mRAW? How much mb are you saving? Is it any different between the Nikon's compressed lossless, compressed and uncompressed?

Regards,
Glenn
My Gear
Flickr (external link)

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,362 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 02, 2012 12:31 |  #103

gqtuazon wrote in post #15068842 (external link)
Why bother? I have a 16mp camera if I need smaller files. People who buys a 36mp camera knows what they are getting into. 2tb hard drives are cheap and the resolution that you get from the files are just simply amazing and it is on its own league in the DSLR category (for now).

By the way, what is the difference between a sRAW and mRAW? How much mb are you saving? Is it any different between the Nikon's compressed lossless, compressed and uncompressed?

This....

And hard drives should start coming back down in price now that stuff has been sorted out after the flooding last year...

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 02, 2012 13:08 |  #104

theflyingkiwi wrote in post #15050932 (external link)
but what's the point in having a crop factor when you can load the photo in to DPP, Lightroom, Photoshop or whatever tool you use and do the same thing.

Because you get to frame it in camera initially.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,899 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Oct 02, 2012 14:52 |  #105

elrey2375 wrote in post #15070480 (external link)
Because you get to frame it in camera initially.

there is no added benefit of using a cropped lenses on a FF camera and having the camera using a cropped part of the sensor. The only reason why Nikon do this is to make it easer for those wanting a FF but can't get a FF lens. Which me to me is stupid because what's the point in buying FF when you don't have any glass to use on it.

You should always frame a photography as much as possible but you can always remove those extra pixels on the computer. You get more options shooting at the full resolution of the camera and cropping later than cropping on the spot and realising when you get home you needed those extra pixels.

While people keep going on about Nikon being great cameras but there's a couple of things that annoy me about Nikons.

the above, you spend all that money on a FF camera and you use a crop lens.

You get more FPS when using a battery pack, huh that doesn't make sense. the camera FPS shouldn't be determed by the amount of battery you got. If it uses more battery then the photographer should get the same FPS with or without a battery back attached. If the photographer doesn't use a battery pack then they can just swap out battery when one runs out. If the camera stops working while they are mid shot then that's the photographers bad planning. If your doing this work you should be aware of what the battery is doing. If you think it's going to run out then you replace before you start again. and there is always a break.

the drive motor in the body, what's the point in driving the lens focus motor from the body.

While it's nice to have some functions available at a touch of a button not every single option.

In some ways the D600 looks like it's a better camera but some of the points that people raise are minor and to me not worth jumping ship. If one brand of camera has photos that simply out do every other camera on the market and you really have that need to have it then go for it.

The market will tell Canon if they have got it wrong. Then they will change but not before hand.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

sponsored links

34,550 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Musing on the 6D vs D600... And Canon in General right now
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.