Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 18 Sep 2012 (Tuesday) 10:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Musing on the 6D vs D600... And Canon in General right now

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,141 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 02, 2012 17:46 |  #106

Neilyb wrote in post #15068787 (external link)
Perhaps with all those modes it is a shame they did not add an sRAW mode, you know, for all those family times when 18MP or so will do?

I agree. LOVE that feature on the 5D2, I can drop down to 5 mpx if I wanted to (10mb raws). Minimum 42mb = deal breaker. I have very little need for a super high resolution frame, but nice to have it around since you can shoot DX mode for the reach factor.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

sponsored links
gqtuazon
756 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 02, 2012 19:41 |  #107

theflyingkiwi wrote in post #15070922 (external link)
there is no added benefit of using a cropped lenses on a FF camera and having the camera using a cropped part of the sensor. The only reason why Nikon do this is to make it easer for those wanting a FF but can't get a FF lens. Which me to me is stupid because what's the point in buying FF when you don't have any glass to use on it.

Kiwi - You are completely wrong. I thought I addressed your statement already. Please read below. Your statement is just an opinion which is not supported by facts. Most Full frame owners have FF lenses and if they have DX lenses, it is becuase they use it with their DX camera or they just transitioned to a full frame camera. I only have one APS-C lens which is a 35mm f1.8G DX that I use when I want to go very light.

I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but what is stupid to me is that Canon's mount design prevents backward compatibility between APS-C and Full frame camera.

gqtuazon wrote in post #15058985 (external link)
I use a D800E and I've used it with our local HS football games. I use DX mode often in order to reduce the file size that I get when shooting at full frame. One of the advantages in using the DX mode means that I don't need to crop it during post and amplify any noise when shooting at night.

Regards,
Glenn
My Gear
Flickr (external link)
My website (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 02, 2012 21:14 |  #108

theflyingkiwi wrote in post #15070922 (external link)
there is no added benefit of using a cropped lenses on a FF camera and having the camera using a cropped part of the sensor. The only reason why Nikon do this is to make it easer for those wanting a FF but can't get a FF lens. Which me to me is stupid because what's the point in buying FF when you don't have any glass to use on it.

You should always frame a photography as much as possible but you can always remove those extra pixels on the computer. You get more options shooting at the full resolution of the camera and cropping later than cropping on the spot and realising when you get home you needed those extra pixels.

While people keep going on about Nikon being great cameras but there's a couple of things that annoy me about Nikons.

the above, you spend all that money on a FF camera and you use a crop lens.

You get more FPS when using a battery pack, huh that doesn't make sense. the camera FPS shouldn't be determed by the amount of battery you got. If it uses more battery then the photographer should get the same FPS with or without a battery back attached. If the photographer doesn't use a battery pack then they can just swap out battery when one runs out. If the camera stops working while they are mid shot then that's the photographers bad planning. If your doing this work you should be aware of what the battery is doing. If you think it's going to run out then you replace before you start again. and there is always a break.

the drive motor in the body, what's the point in driving the lens focus motor from the body.

While it's nice to have some functions available at a touch of a button not every single option.

In some ways the D600 looks like it's a better camera but some of the points that people raise are minor and to me not worth jumping ship. If one brand of camera has photos that simply out do every other camera on the market and you really have that need to have it then go for it.

The market will tell Canon if they have got it wrong. Then they will change but not before hand.

Where to begin. Who said there was a benefit of using a DX lens on a FF body? If anything, only using part of the sensor keeps the DX lens from vignetting badly on a FF body. Canon doesn't even give you the option of using any lens you want on certain cameras. As for your point about the focus motor, most every Nikon lens made now is an AF-S lens, so it's not really an issue. You need to drive the lens either from the body or the lens itself, so they chose the body.

Your part about the battery pack providing extra FPS is kinda rambling and I wasn't really able to make sense of it. I've never had a battery go out in mid-shot and that's hardly an issue. These companies are in the business of making money, that's why they do it.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 02, 2012 21:29 |  #109

^^ ok guys don't fight in this thread.. calm down...it's only a camera :).

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 02, 2012 21:35 |  #110

As for me, I don't care to use the DX mode but, it offers more flexibility to those who own DX glass. A big plus imo. :) Canon doesn't give you this option. ;)

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 02, 2012 21:58 |  #111

jdizzle wrote in post #15072541 (external link)
As for me, I don't care to use the DX mode but, it offers more flexibility to those who own DX glass. A big plus imo. :) Canon doesn't give you this option. ;)

Exactly. No one is making anyone use DX glass but Canon makes the choice for you.

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,899 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Oct 02, 2012 22:39 |  #112

gqtuazon wrote in post #15072066 (external link)
Kiwi - You are completely wrong. I thought I addressed your statement already. Please read below. Your statement is just an opinion which is not supported by facts. Most Full frame owners have FF lenses and if they have DX lenses, it is becuase they use it with their DX camera or they just transitioned to a full frame camera. I only have one APS-C lens which is a 35mm f1.8G DX that I use when I want to go very light.

Originally Posted by gqtuazon
I use a D800E and I've used it with our local HS football games. I use DX mode often in order to reduce the file size that I get when shooting at full frame. One of the advantages in using the DX mode means that I don't need to crop it during post and amplify any noise when shooting at night.

I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but what is stupid to me is that Canon's mount design prevents backward compatibility between APS-C and Full frame camera.

I didn't see that comment earlier posted. I can understand the post processing and reducing the work flow. This feature to me has a limited use and for example if your a landscape photographer then your not going to throw away good pixels and you are going to use the advantages of a FF senor. At the end of the day all you are doing is cropping within the camera instead of the PC.

elrey2375 wrote in post #15072462 (external link)
Where to begin. Who said there was a benefit of using a DX lens on a FF body? If anything, only using part of the sensor keeps the DX lens from vignetting badly on a FF body. Canon doesn't even give you the option of using any lens you want on certain cameras. As for your point about the focus motor, most every Nikon lens made now is an AF-S lens, so it's not really an issue. You need to drive the lens either from the body or the lens itself, so they chose the body.

Your part about the battery pack providing extra FPS is kinda rambling and I wasn't really able to make sense of it. I've never had a battery go out in mid-shot and that's hardly an issue. These companies are in the business of making money, that's why they do it.

When people start talking about how big of advantage it is as a feature of the camera then yes people will think there is a benefit from it. personally I don't think it is that big of a deal. It's def not worth changing a camera over. As for the AF motor, it's better for the lens to have a fast motor than being driven by the body. it's a minor thing for sure but people pick at the minor things these days.

as for the battery, let me quote dpreview.com

Using the D4 battery will allow for 6fps shooting speed in DX mode versus 5fps with the camera's native battery.

this is from the review of the D800.
http://www.dpreview.co​m …s/nikon-d800-d800e/7#grip (external link)

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,362 posts
Gallery: 550 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 03, 2012 21:10 |  #113

jdizzle wrote in post #15072541 (external link)

I would like to also mention that Sony also does this...just to be fair...

My biggest criticism of Canon is that they STILL dont include lens hoods and cases like pretty much every other manufacturer EXCEPT on their L lenses... Kinda annoying to spend $800-900 on a lens and have to shill out $50 for a hood...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 03, 2012 22:08 |  #114

KenjiS wrote in post #15076932 (external link)
I would like to also mention that Sony also does this...just to be fair...

My biggest criticism of Canon is that they STILL dont include lens hoods and cases like pretty much every other manufacturer EXCEPT on their L lenses... Kinda annoying to spend $800-900 on a lens and have to shill out $50 for a hood...

Just lots of little things that still bugs me
-Flash doesn't come with proper diffuser/color filters
-FF body don't have flash for wireless ETTL control
-Only 1 year warranty on lens vs 5 years

Nikon D800

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,362 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 03, 2012 22:29 |  #115

ching wrote in post #15077128 (external link)
Just lots of little things that still bugs me
-Flash doesn't come with proper diffuser/color filters
-FF body don't have flash for wireless ETTL control
-Only 1 year warranty on lens vs 5 years

All excellent points as well...

Id also cite lack of development in the inexpensive lens space, While Canon has had lenses like the 28mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8 for many years (Nikon only recently catching up to them) the lenses ARE quite dated optically and would benefit from updated coatings and lens design..

Canon needs a new 50mm desperately, Nikon has two and Sony is developing a Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.4 SSM... Canon's 50s consist of the cheap and cheerful Nifty Fifty (Which has terrible AF and atrocious build quality, albeit its cheap) the 50mm f/1.4 which is... Dated to say the least, and the 50mm f/1.2L for those of us who can afford it...

Canon also needs a 30 f/1.8 EF-S, Nikon has the 35mm f/1.8 and Sony has one as well, Both are great cheap primes for the newbie photog... the 40mm f/2.8 is a cool addition but its not really a replacement for either of these lenses...

Canon needs a new short Macro design, the 50mm f/2.5 is dated, a 60mm f/2.8 IS Macro would be a very welcome addition..

That said Canon has also jacked the price of new lenses up several fold... So yeah.. the 24mm and 28mm f/2.8 IS primes are overpriced by about $300-400 a piece... and the 24-70 f/2.8L II is quite overpriced (And really debatable on if its worth that from what i've seen..)

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 03, 2012 23:43 |  #116

KenjiS wrote in post #15077194 (external link)
All excellent points as well...

Id also cite lack of development in the inexpensive lens space, While Canon has had lenses like the 28mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8 for many years (Nikon only recently catching up to them) the lenses ARE quite dated optically and would benefit from updated coatings and lens design..

Canon needs a new 50mm desperately, Nikon has two and Sony is developing a Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.4 SSM... Canon's 50s consist of the cheap and cheerful Nifty Fifty (Which has terrible AF and atrocious build quality, albeit its cheap) the 50mm f/1.4 which is... Dated to say the least, and the 50mm f/1.2L for those of us who can afford it...

Canon also needs a 30 f/1.8 EF-S, Nikon has the 35mm f/1.8 and Sony has one as well, Both are great cheap primes for the newbie photog... the 40mm f/2.8 is a cool addition but its not really a replacement for either of these lenses...

Canon needs a new short Macro design, the 50mm f/2.5 is dated, a 60mm f/2.8 IS Macro would be a very welcome addition..

That said Canon has also jacked the price of new lenses up several fold... So yeah.. the 24mm and 28mm f/2.8 IS primes are overpriced by about $300-400 a piece... and the 24-70 f/2.8L II is quite overpriced (And really debatable on if its worth that from what i've seen..)

The price of supertelephoto primes are also becoming outrageous. $7500 for the new 300 2.8?

Mark0159
12,899 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Oct 04, 2012 01:06 |  #117

KenjiS wrote in post #15077194 (external link)

shhhh don't give them any ideas. they will upgrade the optics and then charge us by 200%

Mark
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,362 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 04, 2012 01:10 |  #118

theflyingkiwi wrote in post #15077713 (external link)
shhhh don't give them any ideas. they will upgrade the optics and then charge us by 200%

You're in Australia, More like 2000% ;)

New 85mm f/1.8 USM II $1500 AUD, Hood $75

Mark0159
12,899 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Oct 04, 2012 01:42 |  #119

KenjiS wrote in post #15077723 (external link)
You're in Australia, More like 2000% ;)

New 85mm f/1.8 USM II $1500 AUD, Hood $75

hey hey none of this aussie business, I'm a New Zealander :)

but that does mean it's more expensive, the current price for a 6D is $3100

Mark

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,362 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 04, 2012 01:44 |  #120

theflyingkiwi wrote in post #15077787 (external link)
hey hey none of this aussie business, I'm a New Zealander :)

but that does mean it's more expensive, the current price for a 6D is $3100

Sorry man, Shoulda known better from your name!

Ouch though... Whats a 5DIII in comparison?

sponsored links

34,597 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Musing on the 6D vs D600... And Canon in General right now
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.