Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 18 Sep 2012 (Tuesday) 15:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

bridge, photoshop, google chrome, keep changing color profile

jdetmold
428 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 18, 2012 15:32 |  #1

I just rebuilt my mbp with an ssd and so far I love it but after calibrating my screen with my spyder4pro when I launch bridge, photoshop or chrome it changes my color profile and makes it very cold with a blue cast. how do I fix this? what could cause it?

not sure if it was happening before I switched and reinstalled osx but if it was I didn't notice it.

hopefully someone can help

hope I posted this in the right section I searched and most color profile things seem to be posted here.

-Jeff
Gear List

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 18, 2012 18:40 |  #2

What do you mean it changes your color profile? Do you mean your screen looks cooler when those apps are launched?

Once those apps are launched do all apps look cool? On windows a loader runs when the OS starts, that changes the screen's look, does that happen on mac?

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

jdetmold
THREAD ­ STARTER
428 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 18, 2012 20:38 |  #3

everything looks cooler. the apps, the background wall pappers, the title bars, everything. If I look at my wallpaper when one of these apps are running and then close it the color goes back to normal.

nope dont think that happens on mac

-Jeff
Gear List

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 19, 2012 00:34 |  #4

I think one of the mac guys will have to help you with this one.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 19, 2012 05:49 |  #5

That's very weird…

Check in your Display Prefs what OSX thinks the monitor profile is before starting PS, and after.
Also check what PS thinks the monitor profile is:
In your color settings, check here (do not change the color settings to use your monitor profile as working space, just check)

IMAGE: https://img.skitch.com/20080713-84kexb4bxmaku18qpn7ib98e5y.preview.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://skitch.com/ren​edamkot/x3ni/fullscree​n  (external link) Click for large view (external link)

If any of these monitor profiles are different, I'd guess something is wrong with for instance permissions or ownership of the profiles…

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,873 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 19, 2012 09:31 |  #6

What MBP are you using? Does it have dual graphics cards? Have you tried to change this setting (i.e., uncheck the box) and recalibrated to see if the problem disappears?

I have never used my MBP in the dual graphics mode, so I am just guessing. The setting is supposed to use the lightweight, low-power processor for things like word processing and the high-power chip for graphics intensive apps. Does the display change appearance when you launch something like Word or some similar application that is supposedly not graphics intensive? If it does not change under these conditions, maybe this is the issue.

kirk

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Kirk
---

jdetmold
THREAD ­ STARTER
428 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 19, 2012 12:47 |  #7

René Damkot wrote in post #15012932 (external link)
That's very weird…

Check in your Display Prefs what OSX thinks the monitor profile is before starting PS, and after.
Also check what PS thinks the monitor profile is:
In your color settings, check here (do not change the color settings to use your monitor profile as working space, just check)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://skitch.com/ren​edamkot/x3ni/fullscree​n  (external link) Click for large view (external link)

If any of these monitor profiles are different, I'd guess something is wrong with for instance permissions or ownership of the profiles…

the color profile does not actually change in osx the screen just gets a blue cast.
and in photoshop color settings the monitor profile is correct.

-Jeff
Gear List

jdetmold
THREAD ­ STARTER
428 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 19, 2012 12:49 |  #8

kirkt wrote in post #15013580 (external link)
What MBP are you using? Does it have dual graphics cards? Have you tried to change this setting (i.e., uncheck the box) and recalibrated to see if the problem disappears?

I have never used my MBP in the dual graphics mode, so I am just guessing. The setting is supposed to use the lightweight, low-power processor for things like word processing and the high-power chip for graphics intensive apps. Does the display change appearance when you launch something like Word or some similar application that is supposedly not graphics intensive? If it does not change under these conditions, maybe this is the issue.

kirk

I have a mid 2010 15" i5 with NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB I unchecked the box but so far it hasn't seemed to change anything

oh and i have not installed work yet but text editors do not change color profile the only apps i have found that do are bridge, chrome, and ps

-Jeff
Gear List

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,873 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 19, 2012 13:38 |  #9

With the box now unchecked, recalibrate and make a new profile and set this as your display profile. Then see if the change still happens. In other words, make sure you are calibrating and profiling the high power card, not the low power one. I'm not sure how profiling is handled in this dual mode system when auto switching is enabled. Perhaps when it was enabled you were profiling the low power card, and auto switching changed over to the unprofiled high power card for your graphics stuff, causing the problem

With auto switching turned off, hopefully the number of variables will be decreased a little bit and you can get to the bottom of this or at least eliminate this auto switching thing as the cause and look somewhere else.

Kirk

Kirk
---

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,873 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 19, 2012 13:59 |  #10

http://support.apple.c​om/kb/TS4044 (external link)

Kirk
---

jdetmold
THREAD ­ STARTER
428 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 19, 2012 14:21 |  #11

kirkt wrote in post #15014755 (external link)
With the box now unchecked, recalibrate and make a new profile and set this as your display profile. Then see if the change still happens. In other words, make sure you are calibrating and profiling the high power card, not the low power one. I'm not sure how profiling is handled in this dual mode system when auto switching is enabled. Perhaps when it was enabled you were profiling the low power card, and auto switching changed over to the unprofiled high power card for your graphics stuff, causing the problem

With auto switching turned off, hopefully the number of variables will be decreased a little bit and you can get to the bottom of this or at least eliminate this auto switching thing as the cause and look somewhere else.

Kirk

after recalibrating it seems to have fixed my issue! thanks a lot this has been driving me nuts!

-Jeff
Gear List

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,873 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 19, 2012 16:38 |  #12

Grab yourself a cold one and do the victory dance!

kirk

Kirk
---

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 20, 2012 05:43 |  #13

Good thinking Kirk :)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

2,229 views & 0 likes for this thread
bridge, photoshop, google chrome, keep changing color profile
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.