Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Sep 2012 (Wednesday) 15:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will Mark 3 price drop this coming December?

Reignrx
64 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 19, 2012 15:46 |  #1

The title said it all. Since 6D is coming out this December, I'm suspecting that 5D Mark II price is going to drop from $1899 (B and H price as of right now) to around $1500-1600. Therefore 5D MARK III could go from $2700-2800 (Rough estimate since Adorama was selling at that price when they were promoting it).

What you guys think? I just recently sold my 5D MARK II and I'm planning to upgrade to 5D MARK III but the price seems outrages right now. I don't mind waiting for 4 months. In the mean time I will be using my crappy Canon Xsi with my sexy 70-200mm f 2.8 L IS

sponsored links
Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 19, 2012 15:49 |  #2

I bet they will bottom out about 2,700-ish maybe even less...... Just a guess....dont hold me to it!

SoCalTiger
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 19, 2012 15:51 |  #3

If $2800 for the 5DIII is your price point, just watch for the next daily deal on that. I'm sure you'll see it again within the next month.

Laurence (external link) :: 6D + Lens

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 19, 2012 16:16 |  #4

Reignrx wrote in post #15015389 (external link)
The title said it all. Since 6D is coming out this December, I'm suspecting that 5D Mark II price is going to drop from $1899 (B and H price as of right now) to around $1500-1600. Therefore 5D MARK III could go from $2700-2800 (Rough estimate since Adorama was selling at that price when they were promoting it).

What you guys think? I just recently sold my 5D MARK II and I'm planning to upgrade to 5D MARK III but the price seems outrages right now. I don't mind waiting for 4 months. In the mean time I will be using my crappy Canon Xsi with my sexy 70-200mm f 2.8 L IS

The 6D is priced to sell to people that want a downgraded FF body (albeit with a slightly lower pixel count and slightly smaller sensor).
The 5DIII is placed to sell to people that want a higher (dare I say full) featured true FF body. These two positions are worlds apart and are bridged by how much people want to spend. Canon has no reason to drop the price of the 5DIII unless the competition drops their prices or they reach market saturation point and they have to stimulate sales.

The 5DII will continue to sell no matter what the price is set at, until stocks dry up (as it's days are numbered) .. it will have no effect on driving any other prices up or down in the current Canon lineup.

My Gear List  :p

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 19, 2012 16:28 |  #5

Weren't 5D Mark IIs already going for the 1500-1600 mark on some deals here and there? I think there was an Ebay seller that had good reviews but was selling the body separated from the kit lens for around that price.

Also, I noticed on Amazon the body only price went from 1899 earlier today to 1999 now. Amazon does weird stuff with their pricing, but I'm going to guess stock will dry up too quickly to see an en masse firesale

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 19, 2012 16:29 as a reply to  @ SoCalTiger's post |  #6

It seems like http://slickdeals.net/​forums/forumdisplay.ph​p?f=30 (external link) is the place to find low priced deals. I don't know how it works but I think that you can somehow subscribe for an item that you are looking to buy and they will notify you when some good deal comes along. I DO know that this is how Canon Price Watch works: http://www.canonpricew​atch.com …OS-5D-Mark-III-price.html (external link) Hit the "Notify" button and that will bring up a page to subscribe. However, it does seem like whenever a really hot deal comes out that Slickdeals was the source.

Good luck!

Yogi

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

Reignrx
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 19, 2012 16:39 |  #7

Well I can pray it will drop to $2800. $3499 is seems WAY over priced.

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 19, 2012 16:45 |  #8

Reignrx wrote in post #15015663 (external link)
Well I can pray it will drop to $2800. $3499 is seems WAY over priced.

Already happened! Adorama was selling it for $2,749 last weekend. Check the price history at Canon Price Watch.com.

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

GuitarDTO
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 19, 2012 17:48 |  #9

I believe the 6D will actually serve to keep the 5D III priced in similar fashion as it is now. Honestly, if you have the money and need, just get it for the current price. It is worth every penny.

Gear: 5D3, 135L, Sigma 35, 50 1.8 STM, 16-35 F/4L IS, 85/1.8, Fujifilm X100T
Flickr: DavioTheOne (external link)

trale
46 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 19, 2012 18:14 |  #10

If that was your price point, you could have picked one up during that Adorama promotion. I did.

There will be a discount for sure around X-mas time, but I doubt it will be less than the $2750 it went for last week, and will probably be a bit more. The adorama ebay discount was just crazy.

I see the $2750 as the the "bottoming" out price for the 5DIII in the long term, and was not expecting it to reach that for at least 1 more year - judging by Canon's price history with their other high end DSLRs. I still think these recent steep ebay promotions are a freak event that won't be replicated soon by other retailers.

I do think around $2800 is the true mass-market price of this 5DIII. If it normalizes to that price from most reputable retailers, Canon will have no problem selling these quickly and taking the sales volume crown back from Nikon (their D800 specifically). But I doubt this will happen anytime soon.

And if anything, I suspect the 6D's release will actually push the 5DIII's price from being that low in the next couple months. Think about it - if the 5DIII can be routinely bought for around $2700, not many would settle for a 6D for $2100. Most ppl would pay the relatively small difference to obtain a vastly superior camera.

Reignrx wrote in post #15015389 (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 19, 2012 18:33 |  #11

trale wrote in post #15016088 (external link)
I see the $2750 as the the "bottoming" out price for the 5DIII in the long term, and was not expecting it to reach that for at least 1 more year - judging by Canon's price history with their other high end DSLRs. I still think these recent steep ebay promotions are a freak event that won't be replicated soon by other retailers.

I do think around $2800 is the true mass-market price of this 5DIII. If it normalizes to that price from most reputable retailers, Canon will have no problem selling these quickly and taking the sales volume crown back from Nikon (their D800 specifically). But I doubt this will happen anytime soon.

Agreed.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Reignrx
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 19, 2012 18:57 |  #12

Trale you have a good point. Maybe Thanksgiving they will have that sales. I missed the promotion. I didn't even know they were promoting. I would have got myself one by now!

sponsored links

2,396 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will Mark 3 price drop this coming December?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.