Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Sep 2012 (Wednesday) 18:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mask not showing

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 19, 2012 18:32 |  #1

I have CS6 and have a problem with masking. I am not too knowledgeable on this so forgive me if it is simple. I am using a program (Green Screen Easy PRO Demo) to remove green from a subject and it of course removed some green from the foreground as it should. So I have instructions on how to paint the green back into the foreground. Trouble is, nothing seems to be working and I know it is my limited knowledge in masking. When I click on the layer mask the image is supposed to turn white with a black background so I can do some work. Well, when I click on the foreground layer mask nothing happens, the image is still there on the screen,nothing changed.

So my question is, how can I get the mask to show as it should. How can I get the image on the screen to turn black background and the image be white when I click on the foreground layer mask so I can work on painting the green back in? I figure it is a setting in photoshop so can someone help me? Thank you.

sponsored links
boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 19, 2012 21:56 |  #2

there are several ways to do it. what you want to do is to hold the alt key when clicking on the mask. a much better way is to press the back slash key to reveal your mask as an overlay so you can actually see the image while youre painting the mask. hope that helps for what you want to achieve

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 19, 2012 22:46 |  #3

Well, when I click on the foreground layer mask nothing happens, the image is still there on the screen,nothing changed.

You don't get a double line around the mask? If you do, you can just paint B/W on the image & the mask will pick up the change.
Edit: In this case, you won't actually see a mask area on the image, but you will see the effects as you paint on the image. And that change to the mask will show up in the mask thumbnail.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 21, 2012 11:59 |  #4

boerewors wrote in post #15017067 (external link)
there are several ways to do it. what you want to do is to hold the alt key when clicking on the mask. a much better way is to press the back slash key to reveal your mask as an overlay so you can actually see the image while youre painting the mask. hope that helps for what you want to achieve

Hey..that is what I needed..thank you.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 21, 2012 12:00 |  #5

PhotosGuy wrote in post #15017247 (external link)
You don't get a double line around the mask? If you do, you can just paint B/W on the image & the mask will pick up the change.
Edit: In this case, you won't actually see a mask area on the image, but you will see the effects as you paint on the image. And that change to the mask will show up in the mask thumbnail.

Nope, no double like or anything. I clicked on the mask and nothing changed..

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 21, 2012 21:40 |  #6

Shooting wrote in post #15023890 (external link)

I'm using an old version of PS. Either they've changed something, or you might have something going on in the background? I assume that you've shut down CS6 & restarted it?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 24, 2012 03:02 |  #7

Shooting wrote in post #15023890 (external link)

In PSCS6, this is what you see when you are painting on a mask.

IMAGE: https://img.skitch.com/20120924-1fcaq98ewan8xrciknj8mu9mgp.jpg

And this is what you see when you are painting on a layer.
IMAGE: https://img.skitch.com/20120924-nhuwqfk2x19c3ppsshp7dn3u2j.jpg

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

1,030 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mask not showing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.