Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 Sep 2012 (Friday) 12:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adapter for light stand

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 21, 2012 12:03 |  #1

Is there such an adapter for a light stand for flash and umbrella that has a ball joint or rotator for the flash hotshoe on the adapter? What I have is the yongnuo ste2 ettl wireless trigger to use my 580exII as a slave for wireless ettl shooting but it is line of sight. So I need to keep the flash head forward to shoot into the umbrella while rotating the flash body toward the camera to catch the wireless signal from the trigger..

I hope I explained it correctly.

sponsored links
20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 21, 2012 12:33 |  #2

Sorry, but I've just started into OCF so I've no idea. Couldn't you just put it in backwards and spin the head around?

What I'd try to do is sell it and pick up a set of Yongnuo YN-622C. Never was to keen on the whole line of sight nonsense, with the options out there today(especially with the price of the YN-622C being cheaper) I honestly don't know why anyone would still bother with IR.

Good luck.

Christian.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 21, 2012 12:58 |  #3

20DNewbie wrote in post #15024037 (external link)
Sorry, but I've just started into OCF so I've no idea. Couldn't you just put it in backwards and spin the head around?

What I'd try to do is sell it and pick up a set of Yongnuo YN-622C. Never was to keen on the whole line of sight nonsense, with the options out there today(especially with the price of the YN-622C being cheaper) I honestly don't know why anyone would still bother with IR.

Good luck.

WOW..YN622C cheaper at almost $300?? I got my yongnuo for $95 used..Putting it in backwards would be an option but then the flash body is facing directly backwards, not toward the camera to catch the signal..I got the IR because it is cheaper and I want to do Ettl wireless. I was shooting straight on flash with hotshoe on stand and that way I could pivot the flash body toward the camera with no problem. But I need softer light at times so using an umbrella is my next thing to use but to keep the ETTL wireless I need to keep the flash body toward the camera. I have radio wireless triggers but don't like shooting in manual, I prefer control.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 21, 2012 14:29 |  #4

20DNewbie wrote in post #15024037 (external link)

Good luck.

Ok..I found 2 of them on ebay for $100.00 and that looks like what I need. question..des the flash on the stand have to be set to "slave" to work?

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 21, 2012 15:02 |  #5

Shooting wrote in post #15024170 (external link)
WOW..YN622C cheaper at almost $300?? I got my yongnuo for $95 used..Putting it in backwards would be an option but then the flash body is facing directly backwards, not toward the camera to catch the signal..I got the IR because it is cheaper and I want to do Ettl wireless. I was shooting straight on flash with hotshoe on stand and that way I could pivot the flash body toward the camera with no problem. But I need softer light at times so using an umbrella is my next thing to use but to keep the ETTL wireless I need to keep the flash body toward the camera. I have radio wireless triggers but don't like shooting in manual, I prefer control.

Have you checked out the Phottix Odins yet? I recently got some and I can't believe how much control you get with them, I can even adjust the zoom on each group of the flash heads individually from the transmitter. It's so simple I haven't even RTFM yet. :lol:

Shooting wrote in post #15024592 (external link)
Ok..I found 2 of them on ebay for $100.00 and that looks like what I need. question..des the flash on the stand have to be set to "slave" to work?

Lol, eBay is the only place I've seen them being sold(guess I didn't look very hard). As for the slave bit I just throw my heads on the Odin receivers like I would throw any of them on my camera using regular on camera flash. Sorry, I'm not familiar with how the Yongnuos work.

Christian.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 21, 2012 15:37 |  #6

Sounds to me like you just need an umbrella adapter. I made a post some time ago showing the different ones that I own:

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14623519&po​stcount=15

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 21, 2012 17:18 |  #7

drvnbysound wrote in post #15024821 (external link)
Sounds to me like you just need an umbrella adapter. I made a post some time ago showing the different ones that I own:

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14623519&po​stcount=15

yep, an adapter is all I need BUT I need one where the hotshoe can be rotated..so you can rotate the body of the flash to face the camera for the IR signal while the flash head would still face the umbrella.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 21, 2012 17:20 |  #8

20DNewbie wrote in post #15024704 (external link)
Have you checked out the Phottix Odins yet? I recently got some and I can't believe how much control you get with them, I can even adjust the zoom on each group of the flash heads individually from the transmitter. It's so simple I haven't even RTFM yet. :lol:

Lol, eBay is the only place I've seen them being sold(guess I didn't look very hard). As for the slave bit I just throw my heads on the Odin receivers like I would throw any of them on my camera using regular on camera flash. Sorry, I'm not familiar with how the Yongnuos work.

Yep, I checked the Odins out but I cannot afford them..wayyyyyy to expensive. The 622 c is about my price range, $100 or less is all I can afford.

DavidR
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 21, 2012 18:02 |  #9

Will something like this work for you?

http://www.amazon.com …mt=&ref=asc_df_​B0044TGDHW (external link)

In my opinion you should invest in a set of non ETTL triggers like the RF-602 and put you flash on manual. You will get consistent exposures that ETTL cannot provide.

M10 - ZM 21mm - Elmarit 28mm-CV - Nokton 50mm f/1.2 - Elmarit 90mm

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 21, 2012 18:14 |  #10

Shooting wrote in post #15025179 (external link)
yep, an adapter is all I need BUT I need one where the hotshoe can be rotated..so you can rotate the body of the flash to face the camera for the IR signal while the flash head would still face the umbrella.

The top of an umbrella bracket usually consists of a brass piece that the hotshoe adapter (either a hotshoe or a coldshoe) screws into. The brass fitting can be turned in any direction you want before it is tightened into place...

Here is a link to one of the models that I posted pictures of...
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …117_Umbrella_Br​acket.html (external link)

If you click on the image, you will see additional pictures, including those of the brass studs.

Here is another, again with more pictures:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …cket_with_Adjus​table.html (external link)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 21, 2012 19:29 |  #11

drvnbysound wrote in post #15025397 (external link)
The top of an umbrella bracket usually consists of a brass piece that the hotshoe adapter (either a hotshoe or a coldshoe) screws into. The brass fitting can be turned in any direction you want before it is tightened into place...

If you click on the image, you will see additional pictures, including those of the brass studs.

if that brass stud with hotshoe on top can be rotated allowing the umbrella to stay in place, then that is what I need.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 21, 2012 19:32 |  #12

DavidR wrote in post #15025342 (external link)
Will something like this work for you?

http://www.amazon.com …mt=&ref=asc_df_​B0044TGDHW (external link)

In my opinion you should invest in a set of non ETTL triggers like the RF-602 and put you flash on manual. You will get consistent exposures that ETTL cannot provide.

that may work also..I do have a set of non ettl triggers but ettl trigger is easier to control in my opinion. If I shoot manual then you have to keep moving the flash back until you get the right exposure after you set camera to expose for the background. I have two Vivitar 283's and they do not have varipower so it is full power on every shot. With ettl I can just dial in what I need and bam, it is there..no moving flash forward or backward several times until you get what you want.

DavidR
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 21, 2012 19:44 |  #13

Have you looked into finding the VP-1 for the Vivitars?

M10 - ZM 21mm - Elmarit 28mm-CV - Nokton 50mm f/1.2 - Elmarit 90mm

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,424 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 21, 2012 20:06 |  #14

drvnbysound wrote in post #15025397 (external link)

I have both of those umbrella adapters and the cold shoe in the first is crap and I don't trust it holding a $250 or more speedlite. The second one is well worth the extra $5. I bought a Impact cold shoe separately like the one on the more expensive one to put on the cheaper one. I can't find it on B&H now but it is like this Vello one:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Accessory_Shoe_​Mount.html (external link)

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 21, 2012 20:33 |  #15

Shooting wrote in post #15025649 (external link)
if that brass stud with hotshoe on top can be rotated allowing the umbrella to stay in place, then that is what I need.

That's exactly what it is able to do...

FEChariot wrote in post #15025764 (external link)
I have both of those umbrella adapters and the cold shoe in the first is crap and I don't trust it holding a $250 or more speedlite. The second one is well worth the extra $5. I bought a Impact cold shoe separately like the one on the more expensive one to put on the cheaper one. I can't find it on B&H now but it is like this Vello one:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Accessory_Shoe_​Mount.html (external link)

I agree... if you look at the link I posted above of the various umbrella adapters I own, you can see that I don't use the supplied coldshoe at all. Since I use Canon flashes, and the 430EXII doesn't have a sync port, I use hotshoes.

sponsored links

4,319 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adapter for light stand
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.