Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 22 Sep 2012 (Saturday) 23:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hopefully a New Trend...

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 24, 2012 19:03 |  #16

SMP_Homer wrote in post #15036534 (external link)
at this one sorta local gold course/club:
Once I was told to move my truck to a different part of the parking lot... it is a few years old, but its always clean for weddings, no rust, etc... so its not an eyesore or anything... but I was told vendors do not park with the guests... they don't want the golfers/members to see vendors around in the parking lot, we are to use a different driveway, different parking lot, different door to the clubhouse, etc...
a few times I was told not to use the guests entrance, including once when I was heading out with the groom and his boys for a quick shoot outside - we were told they could go out this way, but I had to go around and meet them outside...
I no longer wear my double strap to this place... without it, I look like a guest, and don't get hassled as much!

Yup, sounds familiar. I drive a luxury vehicle. Doesn't matter at all. As soon as they here "Photographer", I usually get treated like garbage. This happens way more than not.

bigarchi wrote in post #15036650 (external link)
hahaha, that's so true! :)

i can't believe the hassling you guys apparently take from the venue staff! wow. glad i haven't had any experience nearly that bad.
i usually even notice venue staff doing everything they can to stay out of my way and avoid my action shots too.
the worst I ever get from them is if they want me to eat after everyone or something. that just doesn't work. i need to eat when everyone else is eating, preferably when the bride & groom are. I don't mind eating in the other room either.

It really varies venue by venue. At one, I was told not to even be at Cocktail hour. Dude didn't want the "help" mingling with the guests. The same dude made the vendors eat dinner in a dark room standing up. Amazing.

sponsored links
SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 24, 2012 19:37 |  #17

and some other venues are totally the opposite... and a lot in between...
You get to see a lot of the same staff after a while... sometimes even notice that someone has changed venue... I've had staff help me with doors/gear, bring me a drink/food w/o asking, etc...

the venue I live right across the street from is the worst for parking, but the staff is otherwise awesome with me...

and that reminds me... wedding this last Saturday... when my assistant and I lined up for the buffet, someone rushed over with paper plates and plastic utensils for us - dunno if there was a plate shortage or what... and then were lead to a separate room to eat our food... but then someone else from the staff brought us water, buns and desert, almost making up for it...

and this other time, I bought a coke from a cash bar (at a wedding)... and then had someone from the venue tell me I had to go buy from either the machine down the hall or bring my own, as I'm not a guest... one of the guys in the bridal party overheard, and was awesome about it - went out of his way to buy me a coke and tell the guy that he bought it for me...
and then there's been times where I tried to buy a coke at a cash bar and been told vendors don't have to pay for a coke...

they're all different...

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

PeaceFire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 24, 2012 20:14 |  #18

nicksan wrote in post #15035927 (external link)
First dance? Pretty much the same thing.

This was another thing about this last wedding... not a SINGLE person came with their camera to the cake cutting. Not a one. The table was set in a corner and really only one person could get behind it to get the front shot of the actual cake cutting (i.e., me) and no one even tried to join in.

AND two guests bought me drinks (cash bar). Seriously this group can hire me any time they want.

It was also one of those oh-so-elusive "We don't need the digital files! We'd rather have a nice album" weddings. I'm thinking I just got lucky. :)

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 24, 2012 20:29 |  #19

PeaceFire wrote in post #15037842 (external link)
This was another thing about this last wedding... not a SINGLE person came with their camera to the cake cutting. Not a one. The table was set in a corner and really only one person could get behind it to get the front shot of the actual cake cutting (i.e., me) and no one even tried to join in.

AND two guests bought me drinks (cash bar). Seriously this group can hire me any time they want.

It was also one of those oh-so-elusive "We don't need the digital files! We'd rather have a nice album" weddings. I'm thinking I just got lucky. :)

I can't wait to have this dream ;-)a

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 03, 2012 22:48 as a reply to  @ SMP_Homer's post |  #20

How comes so many wed. photographers have trouble with guests and other professionals ;)?
In my 6 year experience as wed. photographer I have to say not even one wedding I have had have I had problems with either video guy nor guests. Yes some of them can be annoying or irritating from time to time but I think that is part of business! Or am I too forgiving? I am easy going and very cooperative with everyone.

I get respected from pretty much everybody but some weird officiates!

I am not quite sure what is happening with officiates and me but aaaaaaaaaa I just can not stand their power trip! Luckily not every officiate is rude but oh boy, so many can be so rude even to the couple!

When will they learn that the hour that they get payed for is not about them but about the couple!

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 03, 2012 23:42 |  #21

SMP_Homer wrote in post #15036056 (external link)
What bugs me the most about the 1st dance is the number of guests that appear in the shot who are NOT paying attention... you get someone walking through (probably on way to/from bar), people chatting, backs turned away, etc... and to me that seems so disrespectful... I almost welcome people with their cameras taking pics of that 1st dance - at least they show they care!

That is why I line the dance floor with the guests as it makes for a great back drop to the photos.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

Peter

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 04, 2012 04:52 |  #22

nicksan wrote in post #15037586 (external link)
It really varies venue by venue. At one, I was told not to even be at Cocktail hour. Dude didn't want the "help" mingling with the guests. The same dude made the vendors eat dinner in a dark room standing up. Amazing.

...I'm a former Venue Manager and I've made vendors eat in a dark room standing up. The vendor claimed a meal had been organized for him but speaking to the client they claimed that they hadn't. So feeling sorry for the vendor I found somewhere for him to eat and I gave him my staff meal. Not only did he not thank me for the meal: the guy heaped abuse on me. I was on my feet for fourteen hours that day without a bite to eat and I took the abuse, remained polite and took let the vendor blame me and not the client.

My responsibility is to the client who has paid thousands of dollars for a night to remember. If you want to eat with the guests and mingle at the cocktail hour you've got a simple solution: organize it with your client. If you don't you put an unrealistic expectation on the venue on how to deal with you.

If you think dealing with venues is hard I can tell you about something that is just as hard: dealing with vendors. Having worn both hats I can tell you that they can both be as bad as each other. If anyone wants to know any answers from the venue point of view, to avoid hijacking this thread I'd be happy to start a new one.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

sponsored links

2,818 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hopefully a New Trend...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.