Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 26 Sep 2012 (Wednesday) 05:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

About To Sell First Picture

Keedo
355 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 26, 2012 05:48 |  #1

Hey everyone, as you can see I am about to sell my first picture.

The picture is an automotive shot, with my friend cruising on the highway and i got a nice rolling shot of him while we were cruising on the highway. His mother contacted me asking to buy a print or the picture itself.

The thing is, I have no idea how much to charge. She is looking for an enlargement or canvas of the picture I took. I have never done this before so I do not know where the price range is.

How should I start this? I am guessing I should start off asking how big of a print she wants? Or canvas?

She lives in a different state if that makes a difference.

Thank you - Keith

6D -- Canon 24-105 -- 50mm f1.8 -- Canon 16-35 f/4 -- Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II -- Canon 85 1.8
Flickr (external link)FaceBook (external link)

sponsored links
Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 26, 2012 07:21 |  #2

Yup. size up the job, make sure your image can handle being blown up that large without looking bad.

find out how much it's going to cost to produce the final print.

If it's a friend, 'cut her a deal' for a small markup over cost to get it ordered and drop shipped to her. :D

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 26, 2012 07:41 |  #3

Don't have it drop shipped to her. Have it turn up your house and proof it for correct colours etc before you send it to her, especially if it's your first print. You want to make sure it looks right.

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 26, 2012 07:43 |  #4

I got curious and looked at your Facebook...some of those pics are cool. I know nothing about car photog but they look good. The Lancer pic. I feel like I or it is moving when I look at it...well done.

Btw don't print these on canvas for her....you will loose the feeli the image. Think about a 'standout' that mpix offers or a metal print, both can be ordered 'ready to mount'.

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/

Keedo
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 26, 2012 11:22 |  #5

Hey guys talked to the willing buyer. They're looking for a 11 x 14, and she could add a matted frame. What would be my next step now? Sorry, as you know this is my first sale.

6D -- Canon 24-105 -- 50mm f1.8 -- Canon 16-35 f/4 -- Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II -- Canon 85 1.8

Keedo
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 26, 2012 17:19 |  #6

bump?

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 26, 2012 17:39 |  #7

Don't over think this. Where are you gettin it printed from? Then just add in whatever you want.
We cannot decide that for you.

Crap you can get an 11x14 printed on card for $9.99 so don't go charging $500 for it.

What would I do, in his situation would probably sell for cost plus shipping, especially of its her son an you took it for fun.

Keedo
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 26, 2012 21:08 |  #8

stillinamerica wrote in post #15046916 (external link)
Don't over think this. Where are you gettin it printed from? Then just add in whatever you want.
We cannot decide that for you.

Crap you can get an 11x14 printed on card for $9.99 so don't go charging $500 for it.

What would I do, in his situation would probably sell for cost plus shipping, especially of its her son an you took it for fun.

I just wanted to get a ballpark figure. Do you reccomend walmart? Or ritz camera or wolf camera? Any specific places? Also, what material paper would be best? Sorry for so many Q's

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 26, 2012 21:53 |  #9

stillinamerica wrote in post #15046916 (external link)

This.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 26, 2012 22:56 |  #10

Okay. I will make this easy. If she had a Costco near her...go online to Costco and order an 11x14 poster board. Have it for her to pick up at he local store. If not Costco, somewhere similar.

This is not my daily practice, but this is best for you right now.

glumpy
388 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 27, 2012 05:06 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Geebus!
It's your mates mother, you make it sound like Coke want it for their next global advertising Campaign.

Forget about all the crap you read on the Internet about pricing, charging for your time and art and all that garbage which is 90% flawed anyway, ask her what size she wants and get it done and send it to her at cost and tell her she owes you a dinner next time you are in her part of the woods or she is in yours. Alternatively, just email her the file and tell her a good lab to go to in her area.

I give my mates familys pics all the time. Out of respect for my friends, I wouldn't think of making profit on them. I make profit from Clients, not friends and family.
Some tightarses might have different ideas but I figure what comes round goes round.

The day I get that tight and mean spirited that I sstart trying to profit off the family of friends over something that small and incidental is the day I know all the fun in life is over.

From RDKirk: First, let me check the forum heading...yes, it does say "Business of Photography" and not "Hobby of Photography." Okay. So we're talking about making money, not about hobbies. By "business" I am presuming activities that pay expenses and produce a profit over the long term.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 27, 2012 22:28 |  #12

Go costco.
Do it on canvas.
Whatever is the cost to you multiply by 2 plus shipping is as reasonable as it gets, other than that you should be able to find your final price based on many other variables that are not known to me.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 28, 2012 10:27 |  #13

glumpy wrote in post #15048813 (external link)
Geebus!
It's your mates mother, you make it sound like Coke want it for their next global advertising Campaign.

Forget about all the crap you read on the Internet about pricing, charging for your time and art and all that garbage which is 90% flawed anyway, ask her what size she wants and get it done and send it to her at cost and tell her she owes you a dinner next time you are in her part of the woods or she is in yours. Alternatively, just email her the file and tell her a good lab to go to in her area.

I give my mates familys pics all the time. Out of respect for my friends, I wouldn't think of making profit on them. I make profit from Clients, not friends and family.
Some tightarses might have different ideas but I figure what comes round goes round.

The day I get that tight and mean spirited that I sstart trying to profit off the family of friends over something that small and incidental is the day I know all the fun in life is over.

This.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

sponsored links

2,231 views & 0 likes for this thread
About To Sell First Picture
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.