Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 29 Sep 2012 (Saturday) 10:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Illegal Use of Image on Ebay

aquaforester
886 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 29, 2012 10:49 |  #1

Mods I have a similar thread under the title "Using Pic on Ebay" but I didn't put Illegal in the title so I wanted to be clear with the thread was about. So if you want to delete that thread, please feel free.

Anyway I noticed a large ebay vendor using one of my images to sell with. Not only are they using my image, but they are competing against me for the same product with my own image.

Other than reporting the listing are they're any other options available to me.

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear
Canon 60D, 10-18, 24 Pancake, 60 macro, 70-200 F4

sponsored links
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 29, 2012 22:32 |  #2

Did you register your copyright? If yes then you are fine and can take legal action.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,306 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Sep 30, 2012 05:02 as a reply to  @ scorpio_e's post |  #3

Alternatively close this thread given that your question has already been answered in the other thread.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

aquaforester
THREAD ­ STARTER
886 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 30, 2012 05:17 |  #4

@scorpio_e
Unfortunately I did not, if registered now how would the date affect the situation?

@dan marchant
I already discussed why I opened this thread and invited the mods to close the other one. I appreciate your responses in the other thread, but please don't derail my thread my telling me to close it. I'm looking for additional answers and points of view.

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear

davtackett
917 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 30, 2012 08:48 |  #5

I had that happen. I complained and he removed it. Then some time later he used it again because the photo was what was selling his items (someone told me). I complained again and he refused to remove it. So I went through ebay, had to join some group that watches out for infringed photo rights, and once that was done, which was easy, I could get any photo removed that I saw was in violation. I also asked a question on his listing, "if your bait is so good why don't you get a photo of your own big fish instead of using my photo?" and I think that killed his sales because he quit using it and started selling something else.

7d, 7dII, 100-400 canon L, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS

aquaforester
THREAD ­ STARTER
886 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 30, 2012 09:24 |  #6

davtackett wrote in post #15060524 (external link)
.. So I went through ebay, had to join some group that watches out for infringed photo rights, and once that was done, which was easy, I could get any photo removed that I saw was in violation. I also asked a question on his listing, "if your bait is so good why don't you get a photo of your own big fish instead of using my photo?" and I think that killed his sales because he quit using it and started selling something else.

Thanks, that's very helpful. What is this group you joined?

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear

moose10101
registered smartass
1,666 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Oct 01, 2012 08:56 |  #7

davtackett wrote in post #15060524 (external link)
I also asked a question on his listing, "if your bait is so good why don't you get a photo of your own big fish instead of using my photo?" and I think that killed his sales because he quit using it and started selling something else.

The seller actually posted your question to his auction? You know that's not automatic, right?

BTW, was it VERO that you signed up for?

aquaforester
THREAD ­ STARTER
886 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 05, 2012 12:47 |  #8

I just got the info for VERO, so I'm going to sign up for it. eBay seems very lacking in this area.

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 05, 2012 12:55 |  #9

Here's a link with similar info, direct from ebay if someone else finds this thread in a search:
http://pages.ebay.com/​help/policies/image-text.html (external link)

And make sure you opt out of the product Catalog stuff if you haven't already:

The product catalog may include, at our discretion, select seller-generated images or photos from seller listings. Unless the seller opts out of this program, the inclusion of such seller-generated photos in the eBay product catalog and the use of catalog content by eBay sellers in their eBay listings is authorized under the User Agreement.

And a link to their UA: http://pages.ebay.com …icies/user-agreement.html (external link)

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

aquaforester
THREAD ­ STARTER
886 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 05, 2012 13:04 |  #10

@ Motor On - Thanks for the info and links.

So a seller can't use another seller's photo, but ebay has the right to include a seller's photo in their catalog for use by other sellers who might be competing directly against you. Wow what BS!

I'll make sure I opt-out (who's even aware of that), but really

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear

Sitting ­ Elf
147 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 05, 2012 14:31 |  #11

Just a quick note on "registering"....

Your copyright is active whether you register the photo or not. The difference is in damages. If not registered, all you can claim is fair value. If registered, you can also be awarded damages and legal fees. Can be a HUGE difference.

Also, you would have to register that photo as "published" since you already used it commercially (advertising your product). Not a big difference from unpublished, but there are some factors that have to be taken into consideration.

Bodies: 1Dx, 5D MkII + MkIII, 7D, 50D, SD780IS, | Stability: Gitzo GT5532LS, RRS BH-55, Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 and Monopod
Lenses: Canon 16-35mm/f2.8L ll, 24-70 f/2.8L ll, 24-105mm/f4L, 100-400/f4.5-5.6L, 50mm/1.8 II, 100/2.8L II, 85/1.8 USM, MP-E65/2.8 1-5X, 15mm Fishy, 70-200 2.8L II, 40mm Pancake
Lighting: 580EXII, 430EXII, MT-24EX, MR-14EX

aquaforester
THREAD ­ STARTER
886 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 05, 2012 16:02 |  #12

Sitting Elf wrote in post #15084152 (external link)
Just a quick note on "registering"....

Your copyright is active whether you register the photo or not. The difference is in damages. If not registered, all you can claim is fair value. If registered, you can also be awarded damages and legal fees. Can be a HUGE difference.

Also, you would have to register that photo as "published" since you already used it commercially (advertising your product). Not a big difference from unpublished, but there are some factors that have to be taken into consideration.

Thanks, so if I register the photo not only "published" but also after the other seller has already used the image does that change damages, etc. since it wasn't registered prior?

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear

ljason8eg
478 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 05, 2012 17:19 |  #13

VERO works pretty well and get shots taken down fast. If you want to pursue legal action against someone who has infringed on your copyright you can fill out a form and get their personal information from eBay as well.

The sad part is, so much of this stuff goes on even with people being vigilant when they see their own work being used by someone else. Take someone like this seller: http://www.ebay.com …rom&_nkw&_armrs​=1&_sop=10 (external link)

He's stolen some of my NASCAR work before, and all those photos he's currently selling aren't his. Most belong to big agencies like Getty and AP, but they likely have no time to pursue stuff like this.

Jason
Gear: 1D Mark III | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | 24-105 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L | Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 | 580 EX II |

Sitting ­ Elf
147 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 05, 2012 17:22 |  #14

Go to the ASMP site where they have a full explanation of all the copyright laws as they pertain to photographers. Great info.

http://asmp.org/conten​t/registration-counts (external link)

Cheers

Bodies: 1Dx, 5D MkII + MkIII, 7D, 50D, SD780IS, | Stability: Gitzo GT5532LS, RRS BH-55, Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 and Monopod
Lenses: Canon 16-35mm/f2.8L ll, 24-70 f/2.8L ll, 24-105mm/f4L, 100-400/f4.5-5.6L, 50mm/1.8 II, 100/2.8L II, 85/1.8 USM, MP-E65/2.8 1-5X, 15mm Fishy, 70-200 2.8L II, 40mm Pancake
Lighting: 580EXII, 430EXII, MT-24EX, MR-14EX

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 06, 2012 07:24 |  #15

Send him a paypal invoice for photographic services used, x dollars per day (or listing).

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

sponsored links

2,927 views & 0 likes for this thread
Illegal Use of Image on Ebay
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.