Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Sep 2012 (Sunday) 05:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wide Angle Lense Use On Groups

uneek78
340 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 30, 2012 05:48 |  #1

Would using a wide angle lens lower than a 24mm be bad on people are a large group? I'd say from 1 person to 30 tops. Or how much lower can I go until I see major distortion?

Gerard Payne | www.gerardpayne.com (external link)
Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 24-105L |Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Sep 30, 2012 06:11 |  #2

uneek78 wrote in post #15060155 (external link)
Would using a wide angle lens lower than a 24mm be bad on people are a large group? I'd say from 1 person to 30 tops. Or how much lower can I go until I see major distortion?

I'm sure you are thinking of perspective distortion. This is not caused by focal length choice. Instead, it is caused by your choice of camera position relative to the group (and the subsequent choice of focal length to fill the frame).

Please read our "sticky" (found in the General Photography Talk forum) tutorial titled Perspective Control in Images - Focal Length or Distance?.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 30, 2012 07:58 |  #3

In addition to the perspective distortion that Skip mentioned, you can also run into rectilinear correction distortion which causes the outer track of the imaging circle to become 'stretched', so it's best to keep your subjects away from the sides of the frame.

Then there is barrel distortion which is a result of this correction (or lack thereof). Both of these can be adjusted with software, but perspective 'distortion' cannot be. At least I'm not aware of any software that does this.

FrostMonolith
295 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 30, 2012 09:40 |  #4

I don't think that "wide-angle-barrel-distortion" thing is mentioned either. If so, zoom the lens at a tighter focal length.

Calvin is me.
"Passion vs Technique" is not different to "Loving vs To Love"
T3i | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 35mm f/2 | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM | Full Weaponry | DigitalRev (external link) | New Blog (external link)
"Nope, the white squares doesn't do any worse than the red dots"

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,074 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 30, 2012 10:00 |  #5

frugivore wrote in post #15060371 (external link)
In addition to the perspective distortion that Skip mentioned, you can also run into rectilinear correction distortion which causes the outer track of the imaging circle to become 'stretched', so it's best to keep your subjects away from the sides of the frame.

Then there is barrel distortion which is a result of this correction (or lack thereof). Both of these can be adjusted with software, but perspective 'distortion' cannot be. At least I'm not aware of any software that does this.

DxO Optics Pro has some tools that could be a possibility. Haven't used them in this context though.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,025 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 30, 2012 16:17 |  #6

I have found, using multiple format sizes, that the diagonal AOV of 74 degrees is pretty safe for group shots without noticeable induced perspective distortion...

17mm on APS-C, 28mm on FF, 47mm on 645 are safe FL for group shots

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

uneek78
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 30, 2012 19:17 |  #7

Thanks all! Great info!

Gerard Payne | www.gerardpayne.com (external link)
Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 24-105L |Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6

Zlatko ­ Batistich
56 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 30, 2012 19:43 |  #8

Wilt wrote in post #15061970 (external link)
I have found, using multiple format sizes, that the diagonal AOV of 74 degrees is pretty safe for group shots without noticeable induced perspective distortion...

17mm on APS-C, 28mm on FF, 47mm on 645 are safe FL for group shots

I agree. 28mm on FF is about as wide as you can go and still have people near the edges look normal. 24mm and wider is tricky — people toward the edges start to look wide, so you may end up backing up and cropping to avoid that effect.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 01, 2012 05:39 |  #9

2n10 wrote in post #15060789 (external link)
DxO Optics Pro has some tools that could be a possibility. Haven't used them in this context though.

I have. Indeed, trying to slim down the people at the edge of an UWA crowd shot was the only reason I ever used DxO Optics. Now the same correction of anamorphic distortions is available as a standalone app or PS/LR plugin - Viewpoint - and I shal probably never load DxO Optics again.

Here's an example...

This is what can happen to somebody standing on the edge of a large group -

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/Viewpoint%20unchanged.jpg

And this is after one-click in ViewPoint

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/Viewpoint%20Processed.jpg

Not hard to figure out which is the preferred image.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links

1,592 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wide Angle Lense Use On Groups
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.