Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 30 Sep 2012 (Sunday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NY: HELP locate this place for me! East New York (Sacandaga Lake)

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 30, 2012 14:10 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I know this is terrible, and I'm sure this won't be the only time. I lived out of my car traveling the country for quite some time and I simply don't remember exactly where all the places I've been to are. Hopefully someone that is from this area can chime in.

Thanks in advance.

Here are some clues.

• between Schroon Lake and Johnstown, NY
  • more likely to be near Johnstown (30 minutes or less from)
  • back roads. I took the 30 (not near 87 or 90)
  • Abandoned mill with a rope swing into river.

• I took the last photo in this area at 6:36pm
  • I took the next photo in Johnstown at 7:10pm

At the max, it's 26 minutes from Johnstown. I'm a slow driver and usually stop everywhere but there are no pictures in between so it may have just been a direct 26 minutes from.

It's likely to be around Sacandaga River, north of the Sacandaga Lake and Woodward Lake. That area is 26 minutes from Johnstown.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

sponsored links
sacandagalife
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 01, 2012 12:13 |  #2

Hi there,

The building in the photo is across from The Mansion Inn (Google Map (external link)) And is east of Johnstown (between Johnstown and Saratoga Springs) It's actually on Route 29, but you would have passed Route 30 on your way to Johnstown. I hope that helps!

stayhumble
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 01, 2012 12:42 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

WOW!!! YES! I do have a picture of the Mansion Inn behind me as well but found no markings or address.

This made my day as I thought no one, let alone me, would ever find it. That river is barely visible on google maps to have ever found out. I was tracing along the rivers for a very long time.

Thank you so so much!

May I ask how you got here and if you joined just to answer my question some how? or is this all a coincidence judging from your name.

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

sacandagalife
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 01, 2012 14:26 as a reply to  @ stayhumble's post |  #4

I work for SacandagaLife.com, a tourism website for the area. I have a Google alert set up so I get notified by email any time Google indexes a page that contains the word "sacandaga." So yes, I joined just to answer your question :P But I'm glad I was able to help :)

IShootThings
I thought I was special.......
2,032 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 01, 2012 18:51 |  #5

HAHA, now THAT'S customer service.

Canon 5D3, Canon XTI (IR converted), 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f4L, 50 1.4, 70-200 f2.8L, 100 2.8 macro, 430 ex & 580 exII speedlights.

stayhumble
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 03, 2012 13:06 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

I hope it's not too late, but I forgot to ask the name and purpose of that building in the image and also the white building if possible.

sacandaga

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,446 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 03, 2012 14:45 |  #7

That is the old Empire Mill built by George West circa 1862 in Rock City Falls on route 29 between Saratoga Springs and Jonhnstown. West was known as the "Paper Bag King" because he was one of the first in the US to make bags of paper instead of cotten which was common. Google Empire Mill and Rock City Falls for more photos.

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

stayhumble
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 04, 2012 12:35 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

WOW! thats a great piece of knowledge. how do you know of this btw?

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,446 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 04, 2012 14:45 |  #9

Thanks! My house is about 8 miles from the old mill, been past it many times, but surprisingly, have never photographed it myself.

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

sponsored links

1,229 views & 0 likes for this thread
NY: HELP locate this place for me! East New York (Sacandaga Lake)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.