Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 09:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Info on 6D

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,383 posts
Gallery: 565 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 29, 2012 02:12 |  #91

Photobug, Why are you getting a 6D if you're planning to slap a Tamron 28-300 on it? Most all of the advantages are wasted by doing that, You'd be better off with a crop camera and some better lenses

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links
ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 29, 2012 06:23 |  #92

Because you can always buy more lenses for your new 6D?

:mrgreen:

I am planning to buy the 6D and for a few months until I start adding lenses, it will end up with my old EF 20-35 on it. Maybe even my old EF 28-80, a real piece of crap, by the way. Is this blasphemy?

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,383 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 01, 2012 00:32 |  #93

To each his own.. but i just think its kind of a waste when you could probubly get better images overall by upgrading your lenses than getting a 6D...

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 01, 2012 01:04 |  #94

KenjiS wrote in post #15193318 (external link)
To each his own.. but i just think its kind of a waste when you could probubly get better images overall by upgrading your lenses than getting a 6D...

True in most cases. In my case, I am not unhappy with my images, overall, in terms of quality. I do believe that FF will yield better IQ than a crop with the same lens. Couple this with the fact that my crop is old, I think that jump will be noticeable, assuming using the same lenses (EF-S obviously excluded).

I want a camera with live view, which my current camera does not have. Additionally, the WiFi combined with the iOS remote app for the 6D will, according to marketing I've read, allow me to use the iPad to live view and shoot without the need for a router.

Even the Eye-Fi cards are 'after the fact', so on any other camera, I'd still be forced to click first and check exposure, focus, and sharpness second. I can do that now with my iPad camera connection kit, and it's a PITA and slow. In rapidly changing light such as dawn or dusk, this method has proven useless to me.

Therefore, I also like the low light autofocus ability of the 6D. I often shoot at night or really early in the morning as the sun is coming up, and with my XTi, no matter what lens I use, it won't make focusing in those situations any easier. When it is dark out and I am doing long exposures, it's difficult even with manual focus to get my subjects in sharpest focus.

If the 6D autofocus works in really low light, perhaps I can use it in those scenarios. If not, the live view exposure preview or whatever it's called with the iPad as the controller should definitely address these issues, before I take the shot.

So if I can ensure better focus in dark or low light situations than I can currently achieve with manual focus where it's hard to see anything, then the 6D will help me get better images, and save time as i can do it before, rather than after, taking the shot. That is not an IQ issue, it's a limitation of my eyes in the darkness :)

Plus I was being facetious about the EF 20-35. It's a good lens that has produced many very sharp images for me with my film camera, so I have no issues using it with the 6D.

So in my case, there are a few issues that getting new lenses will not address.

dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,929 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Nov 01, 2012 01:49 |  #95

well once you get the 6D and you find that you still can't get the images you want you can always spend more :)

there is a number of ways to get better IQ photos, the body is only one part of the equation

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

igora90
923 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 01, 2012 03:19 |  #96

theflyingkiwi wrote in post #15193437 (external link)
well once you get the 6D and you find that you still can't get the images you want you can always spend more :)

there is a number of ways to get better IQ photos, the body is only one part of the equation

+1.

2x Canon 6D, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 135 F/2.0
www.iirorautiainen.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,383 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 01, 2012 04:44 |  #97

This..

While you made a lot of good points for upgrading, you could also achieve most of that by say, Getting a 7D or a 60D... I can do most of what you were talking about with a 7D... and the 18mp unit in the 7D/60D/etc IS several times better than whats in your XTI

As for the 20-35, Whats good on film may not be on digital, Film was a lot less demanding than Digital is, The old EOS 1Ds? Aka, the first FF DSLR (Ok not THE first, but the first one that WORKED) pretty much exceeded 35mm film, and got REALLLLLY close to MF film... The 6D is several orders of magnitude better than that.. The 20-35 isnt that fantastic of a lens, its not HORRIBLE, but its not going to be that great on a 6D and likely is going to limit you, You're probubly better off with the 10-22 on a crop over the 20-35 on FF

Of course this is just my opinion, and its your money, I'm just offering an opinion on the matter so you go into this with all the facts and with all things considered....

-edit- and i did take a quick look at your Flickr, You are quite good with that XTi, Perhaps try a rental on a 7D or something though, You might find it to give you a good boost in capability and give you enough left over to get more lenses

sega62
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 01, 2012 04:47 |  #98

He will have lot less noise with the 6D and the new digic 5 , and a full frame is a classic, go for it

marcial4
Goldmember
1,258 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 01, 2012 05:26 |  #99

did you see how the wireless connectivity works with the 6D and an android phone? interesting, more info is appearing on the web about the camera, hoping december 10th will be the release date, the new 5d3 price is tempting me... :oops:

http://youtu.be/nJeCIu​Pf7lo (external link)

Marcial "Marshall" Quintero
No camera but 3 lenses: 16-35/4L | 100L | 70-300L

A Venezuelan living in Santiago, Chile

Instagram (external link) flickr (external link)

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 01, 2012 08:28 |  #100

I know that's a popular opinion on POTN, but as I said in my post, most of my desire to upgrade to 6D amounts to workflow and convenience. IQ is important, but not the only factor.

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 01, 2012 08:51 |  #101

KenjiS wrote in post #15193671 (external link)
This..

While you made a lot of good points for upgrading, you could also achieve most of that by say, Getting a 7D or a 60D... I can do most of what you were talking about with a 7D... and the 18mp unit in the 7D/60D/etc IS several times better than whats in your XTI

As for the 20-35, Whats good on film may not be on digital, Film was a lot less demanding than Digital is, The old EOS 1Ds? Aka, the first FF DSLR (Ok not THE first, but the first one that WORKED) pretty much exceeded 35mm film, and got REALLLLLY close to MF film... The 6D is several orders of magnitude better than that.. The 20-35 isnt that fantastic of a lens, its not HORRIBLE, but its not going to be that great on a 6D and likely is going to limit you, You're probubly better off with the 10-22 on a crop over the 20-35 on FF

Of course this is just my opinion, and its your money, I'm just offering an opinion on the matter so you go into this with all the facts and with all things considered....

-edit- and i did take a quick look at your Flickr, You are quite good with that XTi, Perhaps try a rental on a 7D or something though, You might find it to give you a good boost in capability and give you enough left over to get more lenses

Thanks KenjiS, you make a very valid point about what's good on film not necessarily carrying over to digital. I can try shooting with my EF 20-35 lens on my buddy's 5DII to test this out with my particular copy.

This would be a stopgap measure for me, because if I really want the same field of view on an FF as I get now with my EF-S 10-22, I'd need to get the EF 16-35L. That lens, unless I buy used, is a lot more than the EF 17-40L. So at most I'd be shooting with the EF 20-35 for a couple of months, unless my 5DII test proves this to really be a bad idea, in which case I'd get the 17-40L right away and then sell it for a 16-35L in a couple of months.

As another bonus that levels the lens playing field for me, my friend who doesn't shoot as often as I do has offered to let me borrow his EF 17-40L as much as I need, as well. When he was getting started, he used to borrow my stuff a lot, so he has offered to return the favor.

I do value your opinion, and as you see I am still sporting a 6 year old body which I bought brand new when it came out, I am not one to mindlessly upgrade for no reason just to spend money. I only do that with my cars :D There's a part of me that admittedly feels that if I am going to upgrade body, it should include a move to FF for the IQ benefit of a bigger sensor.

With the 7D, I'd get live view but still not be able to use my iPad without Eye-Fi cards. Id also get OCF capability without the need for a wireless transmitter (a good bonus). However, if the remote app on the 6D is a let down, one of my main arguments that is pro-6D goes away. I might rent one, that's a good idea.

Thanks for the compliment on my Flickr, by the way, I appreciate it.

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 01, 2012 08:59 |  #102

marcial4 wrote in post #15193736 (external link)
did you see how the wireless connectivity works with the 6D and an android phone? interesting, more info is appearing on the web about the camera, hoping december 10th will be the release date, the new 5d3 price is tempting me... :oops:

http://youtu.be/nJeCIu​Pf7lo (external link)

Nice, thanks for posting that. I think this answers the live view remote shooting question - it can definitely be done! Liking this a lot....

w0m
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 01, 2012 09:42 |  #103

ddk632 wrote in post #15194247 (external link)
Nice, thanks for posting that. I think this answers the live view remote shooting question - it can definitely be done! Liking this a lot....

Wow, yea; that is a big bonus; much more useful than I expected it to be; I've been planning on buying a small laptop for (probably slow) raw processing while traveling; now i'm debating if this will be 'good nuff' with my tablet to browse the shots of the day and upload choice pics. ( don't want to shoot raw+jpeg as, while traveling, memory card space is at a premium).

Smaller size (for FF), and built in GPS has this looking to be a nice travel camera.

[6D]

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,929 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Nov 01, 2012 15:34 |  #104

ddk632 wrote in post #15194137 (external link)
I know that's a popular opinion on POTN, but as I said in my post, most of my desire to upgrade to 6D amounts to workflow and convenience. IQ is important, but not the only factor.

it's popular because in some ways it's true. But like I said it's one part of the equation that makes up the end result.

But at the same time FF does offer some advantages over a crop sensor. We wouldn't be talking about a cheaper FF camera if there wasn't a market for it.

the camera would be a good upgrade and the 6D is more than just a FF Rebel so it's a big step up and plus there is nothing like the new camera smell :) well perhaps the new lens smell ;)

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 03, 2012 15:07 as a reply to  @ Mark0159's post |  #105

I'm wondering how the AF of the 6D (the non-center points) compares to the AF of the 550D/T2i (again non-center points). Tried focusing on random spots with the outer points on my 550D and 50mm F/1.8 @ F/2.8 in my dark bedroom at night with only my TV on and one small light behind the TV switched on. A lot of hunting when using the outer points of course and often no focus at all. Hoping that the 6D will be better at this, but afraid it won't be since it also has only one crosstype focuspoint.

The reason I'm wondering this, is because I want to upgrade to fullframe and I can't justify it to buy the 5D3. I want to upgrade to fullframe for the following reasons:

1) Less noise at high ISO
2) EF lenses become more useful. At this point I hardly use my 70-200 F/4L IS because I don't like the focal length of it on my cropped sensor DSLR
3) Bigger viewfinder
4) I know this isn't a fullframe DSLR only feature, but I also want AFMA

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

sponsored links

20,616 views & 0 likes for this thread
Info on 6D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.