Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 08:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DMK2 vs. 7D, which to buy?

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 04, 2012 00:00 |  #46
bannedPermanent ban

Perfect_10 wrote in post #15077388 (external link)
So pray and spray shooting wins for you. Personally I prefer the tried and proven method of knowing when and how to get the great shot .. it's called skill, luck shouldn't really have much to do with it ;)

Yep .. having cut my teeth shooting with manual focus and manual control 35mm Canon cameras back in the '70s I can relate to discipline when it comes to composure and exposures. It was expensive back then to waste shots, so you soon learnt how to do it properly :)

Skill is necessary. So is using the right tool for the job. Sports shooters at the recent Olympics shot 1DX bodies for a reason. Pray and spray has another rhyming word: PAY. A well-timed burst can capture that exact moment much better than a single shot that is 1/10 of a second too early or too late. There are no guarantees, but it does increase your chances. If the best sports shooters used your skill, nobody would ever get a shot of that fumble popping out, or the goalie stopping the puck at the line. You may be good, but luck has a place. Pray, spray and PAY is a better bet than guess and go hungry, sometimes.

Gear List

sponsored links
TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 04, 2012 00:21 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

kcbrown wrote in post #15077331 (external link)
If there's any way you can get your hands on a 5D2 for a couple of days to try it out, you should do so. Lensrentals.com will rent you one for $90 for 4 days. Considering the amount of money you're thinking of dropping on one, that seems like it would be a decent option if you can't borrow one from someone.

With the 6D coming out, I rather doubt the 5D2 will hold its value in the way you anticipate, especially if the 6D lives up to the -3 Db autofocus claim. It will almost certainly do better than the 5D2 in terms of high ISO image quality as well, since there's no reason to believe it will exhibit horizontal banding at ultra-high ISOs the way the 5D2 does. And it certainly won't be worse than the 5D2 at low ISOs.

A $300 difference (which amounts to a 16% difference) between the 5D2 and the 6D (and that's at the 6D's introductory price, no less, which is the highest price it'll likely ever have) doesn't seem like enough of a difference to make the 5D2 all that compelling for that price.

I wouldn't buy a camera based on how well it's likely to retain its value in any case. I'd buy it because it's what I really want. If the 5D2 is what you really want then go for it! But I'd make sure it's what you really want first.

Thanks. I just contacted the local camera store about renting a 5D2. Your other points have me seriously considering the 6D, AGAIN! I like the 60D-like control layout. That will be an easy transition. I have lots of SDHC cards, too. I just really don't want to pay an extra $400 for GPS and WIFI that I'll never use. I assumed IQ would be about the same as the 5D3 doesn't seem to have much better IQ than the 5D2 until you get up around ISO 3200. AF also concerns me, but if I can use 5D2 AF, certainly 6D will be at least as good, most likely better.

I am aware of the body depreciation. Just sold my T1i for 1/2 what I paid for it. I was just considering that a year from now my 5D2 would hold more of its initial $1800 value than the 6D would, as 6D prices would be dropping by then.

Gear List

Scooby888
264 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 04, 2012 00:35 |  #48

JamesDurbinMedia wrote in post #15076608 (external link)
There is no comparison, the 5D2 is hands down a far superior camera in all respects except frame rate. I wouldn't even lose a minute of my day debating this issue.
EDIT: But the 5D3 is what the 5D2 should have been.

All aspecs apart from frame rate?

I think you've forgot about AF, menu systems, 100% view finder, built in flash (fill flash for walk about). EF-s lenes, 17-55 IS

Again it comes down to how the op will use their camera as to which one suits. I use both, and love them both but there is no clear winner but if I was to pick the best alrounder it would be the 7D.

5DII Gripped, 7D Gripped, Canon 60D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Canon 17-55 f2.8, Tokina 50-135 f2.8, Canon 24-70 f2.8 L, Canon 24-105 L f4, Canon 70-200 f4 L IS, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS, Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L, Canon EF 100 L Macro f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 1.4tc mkii, Speedlite 580ii, 2x Speedlite 430ii, Monfrotto tripods

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 04, 2012 08:42 |  #49

Hogloff wrote in post #15076842 (external link)
Isn't it funny where on one hand, you don't lose much in selling quality Canon glass...but when people talk about switching to Nikon, they say they can't as they would lose too much selling their Canon glass. Which is it?

I'm not ragging you here, just using you as an example.

I find people who come from a crop system, they have more than 1 EFS lens which they would have to sell moving to FF.

Personally, like I said before...if your future is a 5d3, start today with either a 5d or 5d2 and focus on glass. This allows a much smoother transition to a higher end FF.

I don't necessarily disagree, just trying to add additional factors for consideration. :)

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

snake0ape
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 04, 2012 09:18 |  #50

[QUOTE=Perfect_10;1507​7388]So pray and spray shooting wins for you. Personally I prefer the tried and proven method of knowing when and how to get the great shot .. it's called skill, luck shouldn't really have much to do with it ;)

Ha. I was referring to shooting action shots like soccer and how fun it is shooting at 8 frames per second. In the mist of all the spray, the winning shot is not necessarily your first shot. Its the one where the persons expression and timing of the position of the ball and competitors tells the best story. A split second matters greatly. Photos of kids running amok applies here as well.
With the 5dii, you are at a severe disadvantage to get that winning shot. Its slow and also more shots are ruined by the inferior autofocus system. With 5dii , discipline means center focus and anticipating the best time to shoot. Maybe a sports pro can do it. But not me.

5Diii | 50D | 8-15L 4| 16-35L 2.8 II| 24-70L 2.8 II | 70-200L 2.8 IS II |Tamy 150-600 | Σ35Art 1.4 | 40 2.8 | Σ50Art 1.4 | 85L 1.2 II | 100 2.8 Macro | Helios 44-3 58mm f2.0 |Helios 40-1 85mm f1.5 | 1.4x & 2x teleconverters

snake0ape
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 04, 2012 09:40 |  #51

Op. The only correct prediction you can make is the the 5dii will continue to depreciate. If your worry is depreciation, may I suggest getting a used one. I bet after Xmas, a used 5dii will be 1200 bucks. 7d will be 900. The 5dc will be 500. With saying this, I'm going to get heat here.
I am saying this to give you some measure of how fast cameras depreciates. The payoff is the photographs you get. Don't worry about depreciation, just get the camera that you know you can benefit best from.

5Diii | 50D | 8-15L 4| 16-35L 2.8 II| 24-70L 2.8 II | 70-200L 2.8 IS II |Tamy 150-600 | Σ35Art 1.4 | 40 2.8 | Σ50Art 1.4 | 85L 1.2 II | 100 2.8 Macro | Helios 44-3 58mm f2.0 |Helios 40-1 85mm f1.5 | 1.4x & 2x teleconverters

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 04, 2012 19:23 |  #52

Wow... There is a lot of over-simplistic explanations in the differences between those two bodies.. Some of it is utter - well- baloney. True, one should buy the tool that fits the job- but some of these comments are - well- not very well thought out. Some have been drinking the kool-aid. Some have no clue about the differences and their comments reflect it.. Just because you can use an adjustable wrench for a bolt or nut- does that mean you should use it for all bolts and nuts ? Let's say that your feet are size 12, but you can shoehorn them into a size 11- should you ?

One should look at what they want out of their camera when they use it.. IMO, you should look specifically at what you want it for- and get the camera that has the features that aids you in that quest- and that does not hold you back.. I prefer to step upwards- rather than to step backwards.

As the OP hasn't commented since his original post- in this thread- it's hard to determine what he wants out of his camera- and how he uses it.

Out of the two- the 5D2 and the 7D.
I like Gil's explanation of if it moves- the 7D.. If it's sitting still- 5D2.
I'd add- if you want the 7D's features (minus crop ) in a full frame- you should be looking at the 5D3 instead.
If you are looking at the 6D, it's really the replacement for the 5D2- studio/portrait camera- with many of the same limitations, updated for ISO/and some af improvements.. .. I also think that if you believe that the 6D is going to replace the 7D or be the cheap FF sporting camera- I think you will be disappointed.

Right or wrong; choose the camera that makes your life easier- a camera that does not work against you- hopefully a camera that works to assist you in making things easier. If you are doing portraits and can live with the single center cross type AF point- the the 6D or 5D2 is probably better for you. If you are looking for anything else beyond that- you should be looking at the appropriate camera for the job.

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

Steve ­ of ­ Cornubia
459 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 05, 2012 05:27 |  #53

wayne.robbins wrote in post #15080920 (external link)
Wow... There is a lot of over-simplistic explanations in the differences between those two bodies.. Some of it is utter - well- baloney. True, one should buy the tool that fits the job- but some of these comments are - well- not very well thought out. Some have been drinking the kool-aid. Some have no clue about the differences and their comments reflect it...........etc

That's as far as I got. Could you have squeezed more insults into one post? Do you actually want people to discuss this with you, or just accept your superior wisdom?

5D MK3, 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 16-35mm f/2.8L, EF 1.4x TC MKIII, Nissin Di866 II, Nissin Di466
I hate being bipolar. It's great.

Scooby888
264 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 05, 2012 07:19 |  #54

Steve of Cornubia wrote in post #15082363 (external link)
That's as far as I got. Could you have squeezed more insults into one post? Do you actually want people to discuss this with you, or just accept your superior wisdom?

I am also interested to hear a concise opinion :)

5DII Gripped, 7D Gripped, Canon 60D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Canon 17-55 f2.8, Tokina 50-135 f2.8, Canon 24-70 f2.8 L, Canon 24-105 L f4, Canon 70-200 f4 L IS, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS, Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L, Canon EF 100 L Macro f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 1.4tc mkii, Speedlite 580ii, 2x Speedlite 430ii, Monfrotto tripods

BDKR
196 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 05, 2012 09:53 |  #55

I own both, and for me they both serve different purposes. (Nothing new here)
I turn to the 5DII for portraiture, creative, and specialty work not needing high frame rate(s).

I truly love both bodies, but to reiterate, they do different things very good provided you don't ask either to do something out of its capabilities. I don't use my 5DII to do sports when the motion is parallel with the focal plane unless I want excessive blur and on that 'given Saturday' my panning mojo is with me. Sports with the 5DII is good when the action is more acute to the focal plane, and 3.8fps will work it. I usually carry both on a Saturday Soccer match or band show.

I tried my 7D for portraiture but soon realized I needed a much deeper studio, so the 5DII shines there.
While the naysayers salivate at the snappy (you should have known better...with focal length correction...) replies, reading it is one thing, seeing and feeling it is another.

Look at it this way: You wouldn't enter a mud bog contest with a F1 racer any sooner than you would a lifted up truck to the upcoming Austin Grand Prix.

Don't get bogged down in the specs "Dual Digic 4' and the like- Dual Digic 4+ is required for a 8fps frame rate.

Personally, I enjoy the 5DII more than my 7D, because it takes me back to my 35mm days. I love having the 7D in the toolbox, when I need big reach and high frame rates and crazy good AF I will always reach for it.

When I'm unsure of how the event is going to progress and what I am truly going to see, I wear both.

Probably too many extraneous asides, but I hope this helps.

7D,5Dii, EF70-200/2.8L ISII, EF24-105L, EF50/1.8, EFS10-22, EF85/1.8, Strobes/SpeedLites and imagination. Oh, and an empty wallet

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 05, 2012 10:53 |  #56

BDKR wrote in post #15083100 (external link)
I own both, and for me they both serve different purposes. (Nothing new here)
I turn to the 5DII for portraiture, creative, and specialty work not needing high frame rate(s).

I truly love both bodies, but to reiterate, they do different things very good provided you don't ask either to do something out of its capabilities. I don't use my 5DII to do sports when the motion is parallel with the focal plane unless I want excessive blur and on that 'given Saturday' my panning mojo is with me. Sports with the 5DII is good when the action is more acute to the focal plane, and 3.8fps will work it. I usually carry both on a Saturday Soccer match or band show.

I tried my 7D for portraiture but soon realized I needed a much deeper studio, so the 5DII shines there.
While the naysayers salivate at the snappy (you should have known better...with focal length correction...) replies, reading it is one thing, seeing and feeling it is another.

Look at it this way: You wouldn't enter a mud bog contest with a F1 racer any sooner than you would a lifted up truck to the upcoming Austin Grand Prix.

Don't get bogged down in the specs "Dual Digic 4' and the like- Dual Digic 4+ is required for a 8fps frame rate.

Personally, I enjoy the 5DII more than my 7D, because it takes me back to my 35mm days. I love having the 7D in the toolbox, when I need big reach and high frame rates and crazy good AF I will always reach for it.

When I'm unsure of how the event is going to progress and what I am truly going to see, I wear both.

Probably too many extraneous asides, but I hope this helps.

That is just waaay too sensible of a reply for this forum.

Well said.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 05, 2012 19:03 |  #57

BDKR wrote in post #15083100 (external link)

Could you expound on this a little more? It sounds like it's more than just an angle of view issue as far as what you're getting for portraiture from your 7D versus your 5D2.

Frankly, if you've got both, you may as well use the 5D2 for portraits as long as you don't find the autofocus system to be limiting in any way. But nobody has been able to explain to me how the 7D falls short for portrait work, even when compared with the 5D2, and that's why I'm wondering how you found it limiting.

I have to wonder, too, if the people who find full frame most appealing for portraits tend to be people who used to shoot film and are really used to the "look and feel" of full frame. There's certainly nothing wrong with that -- everyone has their preferences, after all.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,868 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 05, 2012 21:35 |  #58

kcbrown wrote in post #15085039 (external link)
Could you expound on this a little more? It sounds like it's more than just an angle of view issue as far as what you're getting for portraiture from your 7D versus your 5D2.

Frankly, if you've got both, you may as well use the 5D2 for portraits as long as you don't find the autofocus system to be limiting in any way. But nobody has been able to explain to me how the 7D falls short for portrait work, even when compared with the 5D2, and that's why I'm wondering how you found it limiting.

I have to wonder, too, if the people who find full frame most appealing for portraits tend to be people who used to shoot film and are really used to the "look and feel" of full frame. There's certainly nothing wrong with that -- everyone has their preferences, after all.

I am curious to hear the explanations too. I have done many portrait shoots with the 7D and a fast 50mm.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,570 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 05, 2012 22:05 |  #59

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15085549 (external link)
I am curious to hear the explanations too. I have done many portrait shoots with the 7D and a fast 50mm.

Disregarding the DOF issues for the moment...

Although a 50 mm in the 7D will fill the frame in a portrait, using an 85 mm on a 5DII can fill the frame similarly, but the perspective of the facial characteristics will not be the same (i.e. the nose would be more exaggerated with the 50, the ears might appear a bit further back etc).

EDIT: Imagine shooting with a 30 and a 50 where the distortion would be more pronounced... I tried to shoot headshots of my wife at about 35 m with the zoom and she found them anattractive. The 50 worked better, but I ran out of room in oyr NY appartment. I wish I could use the 70 mm of the 70-200 MkII...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

jrscls
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 05, 2012 22:19 |  #60

When I had a 7D and 5D II, the only time the 7D got any use was for sports. The 7D has since been sold, the 5D II still in the bag.

Fujifilm X-T3, 16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 56mm f/1.2, 80mm f/2.8 OIS Macro, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 OIS, 1.4x TC, Flashpoint R2 Strobes/Flashes

sponsored links

8,381 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DMK2 vs. 7D, which to buy?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.