Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 08:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DMK2 vs. 7D, which to buy?

oklaiss
471 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 22, 2012 03:28 |  #76

Hogloff wrote in post #15075366 (external link)
I view it a little differently. 7d for sports or wildlife, 5d2 for everything else. Low light, portraits, landscapes, events are all better suited with the 5d2.

This is the ticket

5D Mark II Gripped, 60D Gripped, 450D, 24-105 f/4L, 85 1.8, 70-200 f/4L IS, Nifty Fifty, 28 1.8, B+W/Lee/Cokin/Hitech filters, 430ex II x2
Flickr (external link)

Brsix
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 22, 2012 08:00 as a reply to  @ oklaiss's post |  #77

^^^ my problem is that I shoot about half sports and half everything else.

xinvisionx I guess I haven't looked at the 6D. I'm open to ideas though. (As long as it fits my budget).

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,591 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 22, 2012 13:30 |  #78

Brsix wrote in post #15396230 (external link)
^^^ my problem is that I shoot about half sports and half everything else.

xinvisionx I guess I haven't looked at the 6D. I'm open to ideas though. (As long as it fits my budget).

Sounds like you need to make a decision or buy both bodies :)

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D III | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | 85L II | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 22, 2012 13:55 |  #79

Brsix wrote in post #15395655 (external link)
Sorry to attach myself to this thread, but I was thinking fo upgrading from my 30D to one of either the 7D or the 5D mark II. I read through this post thinking it would help me, but I still don't know what to do. I am an amatuer photographer who has kids, which means I take a lot of pictures of birthday parties, school concerts, plays, ect. I also take a lot of pictures of my kids playing sports ( Football, basketball, baseball and tennis). Every summer we take a vacation to different National Parks and I REALLY enjoy taking pictures of the landscapes.
So after reading through this post and all its replies, it would seem that I should use 2 different cameras. For the indoor stuff and landscapes, 5D MarkII and the sport stuff the 7D. That is not an option. Any suggestions?

As you'll have gathered from the rest of this thread, both are excellent cameras, but have different strengths. That doesn't mean that where a given camera is not strongest it is therefore weak: both are good at everything. You don't say what lenses you currently have, but you can carry on with the same, and get the same field of view you are used to, by going with the 7D. I disagree with the earlier post that said there is not much of an image-quality step-up from 30D to 7D. I have owned both and would say there is a big difference.

The only thing about the 7D is that its autofocus system is a strength and a weakness, depending on how much you get into using it. It is so configurable that I'll bet at least half of 7D users are not using it set up the best way for a given subject. I'm sure that's the cause of many complaints and statements of being "underwhelmed".

Mark.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

8,374 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DMK2 vs. 7D, which to buy?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.